Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football?
Bookmark and Share
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football?
I was hoping UAB would have announced by now when they would re-start football. 2016? Anyone know?
07-10-2015 07:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: UAB fans... any news on the re-start date for football?
Nothing official but what little they have said sounds like 2017.
07-10-2015 08:08 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Looking like 2017 full throttle. I suspect we will do like UTSA in 2016. maybe some scrimmage games open to the public. It's a damn crying shame as we had a team returning that would compete for the title.
07-10-2015 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Don't forget, don't forgive. The best revenge is to live well.
07-10-2015 11:20 AM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
As disappointed as 2017 probably is to you, it's probably the best course of action given how your team was decimated by the Evil ones. The rest of us can wait...do it right.
07-10-2015 12:21 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
According to Fox Sports Southwest... 2016.

UAB president: University bringing football back in 2016

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- UAB President Ray Watts said Monday he is bringing the football program back in 2016, reversing a decision to shut it down because it was too expensive.

Watts cited renewed financial commitment from supporters, students and the city as reasons for the change of heart.

He said donors have pledged to make up the projected $17.2 million deficit over the next five years if football is restored. Watts told The Associated Press he decided on Monday morning to reverse the earlier decision after meetings with UAB supporters continued through the weekend.

Here is the link.

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/story...016-060115
07-10-2015 01:08 PM
eager eagle Offline
All American

I Root For:
(07-10-2015 01:08 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  According to Fox Sports Southwest... 2016.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- UAB President Ray Watts said Monday he is bringing the football program back in 2016, reversing a decision to shut it down because it was too expensive.

Watts cited renewed financial commitment from supporters, students and the city as reasons for the change of heart.

He said donors have pledged to make up the projected $17.2 million deficit over the next five years if football is restored. Watts told The Associated Press he decided on Monday morning to reverse the earlier decision after meetings with UAB supporters continued through the weekend.

Here is the link.

That article was printed prior to a month ago. Things are a bit shaky now, you will note the cusa officials kicked the can down the road. There are a lot of commitments but not much cash in hand.
07-10-2015 02:34 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(07-10-2015 12:21 PM)Cnelson203 Wrote:  As disappointed as 2017 probably is to you, it's probably the best course of action given how your team was decimated by the Evil ones. The rest of us can wait...do it right.

It has nothing to do with "doing it right" or with "cash in hand," and everything to do with Ray Watts protecting his fragile ego. He does not want his incompetent bumbling highlighted by football success in the stands or on the field, and does not want to see returned players doing sideline interviews along the lines of "Ray Watts stole a year of my life."

The little pumpkin-headed bastard cares about nothing but his own self-regard. The Ninth Circle of Hell is keeping a spot warm for Ray Watts. He is an evil man with a twisted soul.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 01:43 AM by 58-56.)
07-11-2015 01:42 AM
Blazer Engineer Offline
Skull Splitter

I Root For: UAB
I believe Pumpkin Head is mentally ill. He is an arrogant little bastard
07-11-2015 11:48 AM
Advertisement

BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
07-11-2015 12:00 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(07-10-2015 01:08 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  According to Fox Sports Southwest... 2016.

Here is the link.

Thx UNT poster for letting UAB fans know when football was returning. We didn't have a clue......lol
07-11-2015 12:09 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(07-11-2015 11:48 AM)Blazer Engineer Wrote:  I believe Pumpkin Head is mentally ill. He is an arrogant little bastard

I fully agree. A patient has taken charge of the hospital.
07-11-2015 02:33 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

JJ Nelson - UAB, 5th Round draft pick by Arizona said the following after UAB Football shutdown operations:

Quote:“Once the decision was made, a lot of coaches were there to recruit guys,” Nelson said. “I was still there taking classes because I graduated in December. The next day, you had 50 schools – big name schools: Florida, Oklahoma State, Indiana, Vanderbilt, schools like that – come to the campus. Our coaches, they brought them in. They checked the film to see who the other teams wanted. They gave them film, gave them input like, ‘This is a great guy.’”

That sucks but it was also the reality of what Watts had done to the program. F'n idiot!!!

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-even...59437e43f4
07-12-2015 03:13 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Do all the $$ pledges they received seem to be holding solid?? It was easy for people to throw around money, when it was good PR, and there seemed little chance of bringing football back, now it is real money.
07-12-2015 08:53 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(07-12-2015 08:53 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Do all the $$ pledges they received seem to be holding solid?? It was easy for people to throw around money, when it was good PR, and there seemed little chance of bringing football back, now it is real money.

First installments for most are not due until January, so there's no "throwing around" to disparage. Sorry to disappoint.
07-12-2015 11:41 AM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
(07-12-2015 03:13 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  JJ Nelson - UAB, 5th Round draft pick by Arizona said the following after UAB Football shutdown operations:

Quote:“Once the decision was made, a lot of coaches were there to recruit guys,” Nelson said. “I was still there taking classes because I graduated in December. The next day, you had 50 schools – big name schools: Florida, Oklahoma State, Indiana, Vanderbilt, schools like that – come to the campus. Our coaches, they brought them in. They checked the film to see who the other teams wanted. They gave them film, gave them input like, ‘This is a great guy.’”

That sucks but it was also the reality of what Watts had done to the program. F'n idiot!!!

Putting aside the fact that the program had been officially killed, helping those athletes who remained find new homes if they so wanted seems like the right thing to do. I can see being hacked off if they'd just said, the program's dead and you're now on your own.
07-12-2015 12:57 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-12-2015 12:57 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(07-12-2015 03:13 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  JJ Nelson - UAB, 5th Round draft pick by Arizona said the following after UAB Football shutdown operations:

Putting aside the fact that the program had been officially killed, helping those athletes who remained find new homes if they so wanted seems like the right thing to do. I can see being hacked off if they'd just said, the program's dead and you're now on your own.

I'm hacked off at Watts, not the coaches that swooped in the get our players.
07-12-2015 01:43 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Agreed.
07-13-2015 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.