CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den (/thread-717835.html)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - monarx - 03-05-2016 07:53 PM

(03-05-2016 07:05 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:28 PM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:17 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:00 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 05:39 PM)ODU Hoops Wrote:  This is clearly not Jones' fault. I can't believe you are actually an odu fan.

Don't bother recruiting a kid if you can't finish the deal or if he has a history of being wishy washy.

It wasted time, resources and potentially scared away other recruits.

This kid seems like a douche anyways, given his history.

Screw him.

The kid signed a LOI. That is getting it complete. Lots of kids transfer from school-to-chool-school in HS sports, but it is pretty rare that they ask for release from a LOI. This is totally on the kid and his dad. I can't help but get the impression that you are so enamored of your negativity toward Jones that you would spin anything to support it.

Razor, I never mind your negativity towards Jones because I think a lot of it is warranted. This, however, is not his fault. He closed on a massive recruit with Xavier Green. The kid is absolutely wishy washy but come on man...Was it not worth a shot? We are still in good shape next year if Jones allows these guys to play.

I suppose it was worth a shot......but you either seal the deal or you don't.

Maybe we should have hired his dad as an assistant, it worked with the Stith's ha ha

But yeah, I can't help but feel he won't be missed. Kid seems like he thinks he's too good for everyone.

I don't blame jones for him backing out but to act like there were not red flags all over the place around this kid is disingenuous. Taking him after he had already pulled out on a big 12 a school was a huge risk that backfired.

Like I said, it is what it is.

Of course it was worth a shot. Its not like we don't have any more scholarships and we gave the last one to Tre. JJ got a signed LOI from the kid. Cant do much more than that. I feel good about the three guys coming in. But man, Evans seemed to be a program changing talent. I am very bummed about it. But as my buddy always says, "its hard being a Monarch fan".

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - 757ODU - 03-05-2016 08:06 PM

(03-05-2016 07:53 PM)monarx Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:00 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Don't bother recruiting a kid if you can't finish the deal or if he has a history of being wishy washy.

Screw him.

The kid signed a LOI. That is getting it complete. Lots of kids transfer from school-to-chool-school in HS sports, but it is pretty rare that they ask for release from a LOI. This is totally on the kid and his dad. I can't help but get the impression that you are so enamored of your negativity toward Jones that you would spin anything to support it.

Razor, I never mind your negativity towards Jones because I think a lot of it is warranted. This, however, is not his fault. He closed on a massive recruit with Xavier Green. The kid is absolutely wishy washy but come on man...Was it not worth a shot? We are still in good shape next year if Jones allows these guys to play.

Maybe we should have hired his dad as an assistant, it worked with the Stith's ha ha

But yeah, I can't help but feel he won't be missed. Kid seems like he thinks he's too good for everyone.

I don't blame jones for him backing out but to act like there were not red flags all over the place around this kid is disingenuous. Taking him after he had already pulled out on a big 12 a school was a huge risk that backfired.

Of course it was worth a shot. Its not like we don't have any more scholarships and we gave the last one to Tre. JJ got a signed LOI from the kid. Cant do much more than that. I feel good about the three guys coming in. But man, Evans seemed to be a program changing talent. I am very bummed about it. But as my buddy always says, "its hard being a Monarch fan".

Xavier Green is program changing talent.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 03-05-2016 08:09 PM

(03-04-2016 10:24 PM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-04-2016 08:42 PM)Jabber Wrote:  New Name
https://twitter.com/Juco_Offers/status/705789431383330816

Can't shoot the 3
I don't want a JUCO. At our level they are rarely any good. There are only a handful of good JUCOs per year, and they don't often end up at schools like ODU. I would like to focus on the grad transfer market. There has to be a PG that can shoot out there somewhere. Hell they don't even have to be that good. Just be able to make an open three at a high rate.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 03-05-2016 08:15 PM

(03-05-2016 06:00 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Don't bother recruiting a kid if you can't finish the deal or if he has a history of being wishy washy.

Screw him.

It's not quite that simple. We are stuck with one PG who may or may not be ready to be the guy next season. I have to believe we would have signed another PG if Evans wasn't signed.

It also not as simple as saying you can't blame JJ. This is the third questionable character kid he signed, and none of them panned out.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Jackie Moon - 03-05-2016 08:28 PM

Do we bring in Simpkins from Bishop Sullivan?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Justanodufan - 03-05-2016 08:46 PM

(03-05-2016 08:15 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:17 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  The kid signed a LOI. That is getting it complete. Lots of kids transfer from school-to-chool-school in HS sports, but it is pretty rare that they ask for release from a LOI. This is totally on the kid and his dad. I can't help but get the impression that you are so enamored of your negativity toward Jones that you would spin anything to support it.

It's not quite that simple. We are stuck with one PG who may or may not be ready to be the guy next season. I have to believe we would have signed another PG if Evans wasn't signed.

It also not as simple as saying you can't blame JJ. This is the third questionable character kid he signed, and none of them panned out.

Thats a stretch.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU True Blue - 03-05-2016 08:47 PM

(03-05-2016 08:28 PM)Jackie Moon Wrote:  Do we bring in Simpkins from Bishop Sullivan?

Problem is he might not be accepted.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 03-05-2016 08:50 PM

(03-05-2016 08:46 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 06:28 PM)757ODU Wrote:  Razor, I never mind your negativity towards Jones because I think a lot of it is warranted. This, however, is not his fault. He closed on a massive recruit with Xavier Green. The kid is absolutely wishy washy but come on man...Was it not worth a shot? We are still in good shape next year if Jones allows these guys to play.

Thats a stretch.
How?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Justanodufan - 03-05-2016 09:07 PM

(03-05-2016 08:50 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 08:46 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 07:05 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  I suppose it was worth a shot......but you either seal the deal or you don't.

Thats a stretch.
How?

Because you have no idea the kid's character. Just like no one knows the character of Douglas or Pervier, yet people are judging them based on little to no knowledge.

How many conversations have you had with the 3?

I would blame Jones if he let those people become issues but he didn't. Take Pervier, everyone saw his behavior and what not on the bench. If he was like that in front of fans, how was he behind close doors? How did his behavior effect the team? Same with Evans, if he doesn't want to be at ODU what kind of teammate would he be?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 03-05-2016 09:13 PM

COME ON. Are you kidding me? All three of them had a pattern of behavior. You can argue, maybe, that Evans's lack of loyalty is not a character flaw. But everyone knew about Perv before he even got to campus, and Douglas was involved in physical violence that resulted in police involvement on three separate occasions in less than a year. The ONLY argument to be made here is whether or not it is worth the risk. In the case of Evans, I would say it was. In the other two cases, I would say no.

Sent from my Pixel C using TapatalkV

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Justanodufan - 03-05-2016 09:18 PM

(03-05-2016 09:13 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  COME ON. Are you kidding me? All three of them had a pattern of behavior. You can argue, maybe, that Evans's lack of loyalty is not a character flaw. But everyone knew about Perv before he even got to campus, and Douglas was involved in physical violence that resulted in police involvement on three separate occasions in less than a year. The ONLY argument to be made here is whether or not it is worth the risk. In the case of Evans, I would say it was. In the other two cases, I would say no.

Share with me what occurred with Perv that everyone knew, because I have no idea what you are talking about.

Like I said, Jones could have kept them around. He didn't.

I would agree it would be an issue if Coach Jones didn't correct the issue and kept them around, but he didn't. At this point it seems as if you are just looking for something. Considering you brought this up AFTER Evans and not before.

But since you are just looking to argue, I am just going to not respond to whatever you write back.

Have a good one, Bro.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - paintedblue2 - 03-05-2016 10:22 PM

(03-05-2016 09:13 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  COME ON. Are you kidding me? All three of them had a pattern of behavior. You can argue, maybe, that Evans's lack of loyalty is not a character flaw. But everyone knew about Perv before he even got to campus, and Douglas was involved in physical violence that resulted in police involvement on three separate occasions in less than a year. The ONLY argument to be made here is whether or not it is worth the risk. In the case of Evans, I would say it was. In the other two cases, I would say no.

What kind of insider information did you have about Pervier before he set foot on campus? What, were you and he and Michael Phelps hanging out together doing bong hits?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 03-05-2016 10:29 PM

There is no insider info. It was all here on this board. Go look it up if you want, I am not going to do it for you. Do you all not find it odd that the dude ran out of eligibility after only 3 years of playing? There are two missing years in this guys life in which according to someone who knew him, he was trying to get his head on straight. You can take that to mean whatever you want. And btw he wasn't kicked off the team for smoking pot, he was kicked off the team because he was a loser with a **** attitude.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Mr.BigBlue - 03-05-2016 10:32 PM

(03-05-2016 10:22 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  

What kind of insider information did you have about Pervier before he set foot on campus? What, were you and he and Michael Phelps hanging out together doing bong hits?

There was no inside information. It was pretty public that he couldn't stay at a school. Plus he demonstrated on several occasions he had ....let's just say an attitude that was not conducive for creating a team.

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Sithlord - 03-05-2016 10:34 PM

Let's seal the deal on Matt Coleman so we can all say Tre Evans who?

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Mr.BigBlue - 03-05-2016 10:42 PM

(03-05-2016 10:34 PM)Sithlord Wrote:  Let's seal the deal on Matt Coleman so we can all say Tre Evans who?

Good luck with that.....

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Prideofalion - 03-05-2016 11:10 PM

I like the kids that are on the team now. That's all that matters. We are better off without the douchebag from Oklahoma. Bet u anything he ends up transferring anyhow. Personally.. The transfer rout might be the way to go.. When a kid transfers in you know he's not leaving. Our best 2 players are transfers. Same next year. The recruiting landscape has changed. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign 2 more transfers for the upcoming year. Probably one more juco and a kid that has to sit for a year. Fine by me.

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Big Bluezilla - 03-06-2016 12:04 AM

(03-05-2016 06:17 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  The kid signed a LOI. That is getting it complete. Lots of kids transfer from school-to-chool-school in HS sports, but it is pretty rare that they ask for release from a LOI. This is totally on the kid and his dad. I can't help but get the impression that you are so enamored of your negativity toward Jones that you would spin anything to support it.

Don't think it's fair to say the kid has "questionable character."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - 757ODU - 03-06-2016 12:32 AM

First of all...Pervier had major character issues coming in. A 7 footer with offensive skill and touch? Very easy to see why he went to juco. I will also say that my experience with juco kids are that they took longer to develop (Haynes), they were in a bad situation with the ncaa (kah), or they just don't have a good enough head on their shoulders to compete in competitive basketball (Pervier and douglas). Let me spell something out to everyone. Douglas and Pervier had freakish upside and giving them an opportunity was a good idea if you want your program's character to be questioned. Was it not clear to everyone the the ability Douglas had should've had him at a P5? I mean come on????? 6'7 with a great outside shot a an ability to jump through the roof...Douglas talent put him in P5 no doubt. We brought kids in that had ability and very questionable character. I believe that what comes next will be very satisfying but I am extremely upset with the decision making so far with juco's. Kah and Haynes with change my mind but I have a bad taste in my mouth.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Razor Ramon Monarch - 03-06-2016 02:00 AM

(03-05-2016 11:10 PM)Prideofalion Wrote:  I like the kids that are on the team now. That's all that matters. We are better off without the douchebag from Oklahoma. Bet u anything he ends up transferring anyhow. Personally.. The transfer rout might be the way to go.. When a kid transfers in you know he's not leaving. Our best 2 players are transfers. Same next year. The recruiting landscape has changed. I wouldn't be surprised if we sign 2 more transfers for the upcoming year. Probably one more juco and a kid that has to sit for a year. Fine by me.

I agree with you on this, a transfer or a grad transfer is definitely the way to go.