CSNbbs
2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den (/thread-717835.html)

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - JJMonarch - 07-13-2015 06:03 PM

(07-13-2015 12:32 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  I'd love for us to get out hands on one of those. I bet our coaches would, too.

We already had one of those last year. His name is John Arledge 04-cheers

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - DaBigBlue - 07-13-2015 06:05 PM

(07-13-2015 05:39 PM)paintedblue2 Wrote:  ODU, Rutgers, and UCF have all just offered Jeff Dowtin, 6'3" PG, St. John's DC.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/jeff-dowtin

He currently holds two dozen offers. The guards really blow up during AAU ball, cause they're shooting the ball like crazy.

Matty got offer by Indiana today.

Re: RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Monarchblue - 07-13-2015 06:05 PM

(07-13-2015 01:36 PM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  
(07-13-2015 01:13 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  The guy is a 5-star recruit by ESPN, ranked 8th in the country at his position. You figure out a way for someone like that to stay 2-3-4 years at ODU -- or anywhere -- and you let us know. You get a guy like that and even if he stays one year, other similar recruits may well start to look at you differently.

Unless the guy is the next coming of LeBron or Michael Jordan, I don't want a one and done. Why go through the effort of recruiting a kid only to have to replace him the very next year. Seems like a waste of time and effort. Just my uneducated opinion.

Because for the one year he is here he can raise the bar for the program instantaneously, and establish us on a higher recruiting plane for future classes. You would be insane to pass a guy like that up. That said, I don't think it matters, because in my opinion, the chances of landing a guy like that are next to none. Yes, I know he gave us an in home visit, but I imagine that was a courtesy to our coaches who obviously built a solid relationship with this kid.

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 07-13-2015 06:45 PM

(07-13-2015 06:05 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(07-13-2015 01:13 PM)jumpshooter Wrote:  The guy is a 5-star recruit by ESPN, ranked 8th in the country at his position. You figure out a way for someone like that to stay 2-3-4 years at ODU -- or anywhere -- and you let us know. You get a guy like that and even if he stays one year, other similar recruits may well start to look at you differently.

Unless the guy is the next coming of LeBron or Michael Jordan, I don't want a one and done. Why go through the effort of recruiting a kid only to have to replace him the very next year. Seems like a waste of time and effort. Just my uneducated opinion.

Because for the one year he is here he can raise the bar for the program instantaneously, and establish us on a higher recruiting plane for future classes. You would be insane to pass a guy like that up. That said, I don't think it matters, because in my opinion, the chances of landing a guy like that are next to none. Yes, I know he gave us an in home visit, but I imagine that was a courtesy to our coaches who obviously built a solid relationship with this kid.

Not comparing players but imagine having Kevin durant for one year at Odu. Heck even derrick williams was great that year was great for KSU.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUi - 07-13-2015 09:53 PM

(07-13-2015 06:45 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  

Not comparing players but imagine having Kevin durant for one year at Odu. Heck even derrick williams was great that year was great for KSU.

Derrick Williams played for Arizona... Did you mean Michael Beasley?

2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 07-14-2015 06:14 AM

(07-13-2015 09:53 PM)ODUi Wrote:  
(07-13-2015 06:45 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  

Derrick Williams played for Arizona... Did you mean Michael Beasley?

I did. Sorry. I'd take the college version of him too for one season too.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 07-14-2015 07:42 AM

If he is NBA calibur after one year, that means ODU spends one year all over the national media. I'll take it.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - 757ODU - 07-14-2015 08:10 AM

(07-13-2015 04:37 PM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  We have recruited Kah for three years for just two years of play. The lastest on his timeline is to join us next summer.

Think we're done, unless something falls into our lap.

Then let's all say a prayer that Pervier can be a solid contributor.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUR8R - 07-14-2015 08:26 AM

Problem is if you are that one and done and you know it, there are a handful of schools that you even consider.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 07-14-2015 08:53 AM

(07-14-2015 08:26 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Problem is if you are that one and done and you know it, there are a handful of schools that you even consider.

You have to perform at an elite level to be one and done.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - 757ODU - 07-14-2015 09:28 AM

(07-14-2015 08:53 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(07-14-2015 08:26 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  Problem is if you are that one and done and you know it, there are a handful of schools that you even consider.

Listen, I am all for going after high valued recruits. The one and done type of players are probably not going to be coming to ODU unless we sustain national success. I will also say that being a member of CUSA is not helping our cause for the one and done guys. Players of this talent want to use their one year of college basketball as a chance to raise their draft stock. It is a major showcase for them to play against the top talent in the country. CUSA will not allow a player to up his draft stock. There are simply not enough elite players in the conference. Playing against Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc. are chances for these players to show that they are lottery worthy. Is it impossible to land a guy like this? I am thinking yes....it is

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 07-14-2015 09:43 AM

(07-14-2015 09:28 AM)757ODU Wrote:  

Listen, I am all for going after high valued recruits. The one and done type of players are probably not going to be coming to ODU unless we sustain national success. I will also say that being a member of CUSA is not helping our cause for the one and done guys. Players of this talent want to use their one year of college basketball as a chance to raise their draft stock. It is a major showcase for them to play against the top talent in the country. CUSA will not allow a player to up his draft stock. There are simply not enough elite players in the conference. Playing against Duke, Kentucky, UNC, etc. are chances for these players to show that they are lottery worthy. Is it impossible to land a guy like this? I am thinking yes....it is

Highly unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No. I wouldn't build my team around it or stop recruiting others, but it can't hurt to give an offer and a visit. Coach Cal was landing these guys at UMass and Memphis (before they were a major player) as well.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODU_NYG - 07-14-2015 09:46 AM

(07-14-2015 09:28 AM)757ODU Wrote:  

right. I don't think anyone is arguing that chances of us getting a player like that (slim at best). I think whether we want a kid like that or not. no brainer IMO.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Mo Blue Den You - 07-14-2015 10:25 AM

Yes. The debate was "WOULD WE TAKE A ONE AND DONE", not "COULD WE LAND A ONE AND DONE".

Dont get it twisted fellas. We're a really long shot for landing a player of that caliber but would ODU take them, you better believe it. Like someone else stated, thats a solid year of national exposure having a player like that.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - mac - 07-14-2015 11:18 AM

I would not use coach Cal as an example my friend. He got the guys alright but he had to vacate everything they won at Umass and Memphis. So you wonder why is that? Sleezy business that guy is.

I don't see the 8th ranked player in the US ever coming to ODU. Our TV package is so weak I don't even know where to find the games when its time. Top level guys want to be seen EVERY SINGLE game. Heck even players who are a few notches below those guys want to be on TV. Just the way it is. Seems our best way of moving up is the transfer route where guys who have decided to pass on us at first and then things didn't work out so well for them. That's another reason to go after higher ranked guys. You may not get them at first but if they liked the coaches and things don't work out where they go at first, you just might get them on the rebound.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - ODUR8R - 07-14-2015 11:22 AM

Times have changed. It used to be a local HS player worked really hard to impress college coaches in hopes of landing a 4 year opportunity.

Now the best players (50 each year) are in control and the coaches hope to be graced by their presence for a year or two. These kids don't look at college as a big deal...they are the big deal. College is just a temporary spot until they get paid. They go where they can be on TV, play with their friends (just like they always have) and have as much fun as possible.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - paintedblue2 - 07-14-2015 11:40 AM

^^^ Hey, you forgot me! 03-old

lol

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - Mo Blue Den You - 07-14-2015 12:04 PM

Regardless of Coach Cal vacating wins at other institutions, it still does not change that fact that with ELITE ONE AND DONE PLAYERS YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP INCREASE GREATLY.

You brought something to the discussion that is completely irrelevant. Read the CAPITALIZED statement above and try to argue it.

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - mac - 07-14-2015 01:21 PM

I guess as long as you win nothing else matters? Cool, route for Kentucky then. It is not irrelevant to cheer for cheaters. My friend Ever Respect used Coach Cal as an example and its a bad example. Use Coach K, then no problem. Whatever, some people just don't care, fine.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/03/07/umass-making-big-mistake-with-john-calipari-honor/jpNlS6DG2VJPlyMiNXpX6K/story.html

RE: 2016 Old Dominion Basketball Recruiting Den - EverRespect - 07-14-2015 01:27 PM

I used Coach Cal because he did it with 2 mid majors that don't spend the season on ESPN, whereas Coach K is doing it in the ACC. I am really not that familiar with how he did it, but I certainly wouldn't support cheating at ODU. I was just pointing out that blue chip athletes have gone to mid-majors so it isn't impossible, just unlikely.