CSNbbs
What Person In History Do You Loathe? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+----- Forum: The Buckley-Vidal No Spin Room (/forum-970.html)
+----- Thread: What Person In History Do You Loathe? (/thread-691832.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What Person In History Do You Loathe? - UCGrad1992 - 06-08-2014 08:18 PM

In terms of the Nazi regime (other than Hitler), the worst figure IMO was Heinrich Himmler who lived a life filled with evil, madness and committed crimes against humanity. At the height of his power he was the head of the gestapo and the SS and built and oversaw the concentration camps. He's considered one of the persons most directly responsible for the Holocaust. Too bad like many of his Nazi cohorts he escaped justice and persecution by committing suicide.

[Image: heinrich_himmler.jpg]

What Person In History Do You Loathe? - GrayBeard - 06-08-2014 10:18 PM

I'm going to go with GrayBeard. Dude is a troll.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - EverRespect - 06-09-2014 07:03 AM

Sultan Mehmed II

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - bitcruncher - 06-09-2014 08:27 AM

It's Sultan Mehmet, ER, and his only crime was kicking out the Christians who were persecuting his people for NOT being Christian. Frankly, if you hate him, you hate everyone in history who kicked out an usurping tyrant.

Try picking someone worthy of hatred next time, instead of picking someone based on their religion. I can think of several Popes far more worthy of hatred, and quite a few Priests as well. And you don't have to go all that far back in history either.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - EverRespect - 06-09-2014 09:19 AM

(06-09-2014 08:27 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  It's Sultan Mehmet, ER, and his only crime was kicking out the Christians who were persecuting his people for NOT being Christian. Frankly, if you hate him, you hate everyone in history who kicked out an usurping tyrant.

Try picking someone worthy of hatred next time, instead of picking someone based on their religion. I can think of several Popes far more worthy of hatred, and quite a few Priests as well. And you don't have to go all that far back in history either.

Touch a nerve?

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - VA49er - 06-09-2014 10:07 AM

Vlad the Impaler

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - VA49er - 06-09-2014 10:12 AM

(06-09-2014 08:27 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  It's Sultan Mehmet, ER, and his only crime was kicking out the Christians who were persecuting his people for NOT being Christian. Frankly, if you hate him, you hate everyone in history who kicked out an usurping tyrant.

From what I've read Mehmet was a pretty generous ruler. He allowed his subjects a considerable degree of religious freedom granting them freedom to move freely within the Empire, and to practice their religion free from persecution.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - bitcruncher - 06-09-2014 10:34 AM

(06-09-2014 09:19 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  

Touch a nerve?
Yes. I'm not crazy about prejudice and ignorance, both of which seem present in your choice.
(06-09-2014 10:12 AM)VA49er Wrote:  From what I've read Mehmet was a pretty generous ruler. He allowed his subjects a considerable degree of religious freedom granting them freedom to move freely within the Empire, and to practice their religion free from persecution.
He's revered by the Turks for it too. He was the kind of ruler everybody would enjoy. He served his people, improved their lives, and didn't try to force them into a one size fits all mold. From everything I've read, he's one of the more honorable people in history.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - HeartOfDixie - 06-09-2014 10:52 AM

Destroying the Byzantine Empire and this setting up the future failed conquests of Europe and the fractured social and religious systems of the Balkans are enough for a person to put him on their list.

What Person In History Do You Loathe? - GrayBeard - 06-09-2014 10:56 AM

Pol Pot

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - EverRespect - 06-09-2014 11:17 AM

(06-09-2014 10:52 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Destroying the Byzantine Empire and this setting up the future failed conquests of Europe and the fractured social and religious systems of the Balkans are enough for a person to put him on their list.

Yep.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - 49RFootballNow - 06-09-2014 11:27 AM

I thought it was funny back around 2000 when Time Magazine wanted to name the Person of the Century and decided to require that the person must have had a positive impact on society, which is something they never applied to their Person of the Year requirements. They picked Einstein as Person of the Century but if you're going off of who had the greatest impact on the world in the 20th Century there's only 1 guy that comes close. A certain Austrian corporal with the world's worst case of Antisemitism.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - UCGrad1992 - 06-09-2014 11:58 AM

(06-09-2014 11:27 AM)49RFootballNow Wrote:  I thought it was funny back around 2000 when Time Magazine wanted to name the Person of the Century and decided to require that the person must have had a positive impact on society, which is something they never applied to their Person of the Year requirements. They picked Einstein as Person of the Century but if you're going off of who had the greatest impact on the world in the 20th Century there's only 1 guy that comes close. A certain Austrian corporal with the world's worst case of Antisemitism.

You wonder if he could have made a living selling his paintings would history have turned out any different.

Quote:He worked as a casual laborer and eventually as a painter, selling watercolors. The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna rejected him twice, in 1907 and 1908, because of his "unfitness for painting". The director recommended that Hitler study architecture, but he lacked the academic credentials.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - vandiver49 - 06-09-2014 12:17 PM

Woodrow Wilson

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - bitcruncher - 06-09-2014 12:31 PM

(06-09-2014 10:52 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Destroying the Byzantine Empire and this setting up the future failed conquests of Europe and the fractured social and religious systems of the Balkans are enough for a person to put him on their list.
The Byzantine Empire deserved to die, HOD. Haven't you ever heard the expression Byzantine corruption? There's a reason for that expression, and Sultan Mehmet was the cure.

The Byzantine Empire was the last vestige of the Roman Empire, which while responsible for many innovations, was a barbaric, corrupt Empire responsible for endangering the majority of animals on the endangered species list today, enslaving millions, and murdering all those who didn't want to be slaves or Roman subjects. As for what happened in the Balkans, everything that happened probably would have occurred in the exact same way under the Byzantine Empire. It was already collapsing on it's own. The Turks under Faith Sultan Mehmet merely hurried due process along.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - HeartOfDixie - 06-09-2014 12:34 PM

(06-09-2014 12:31 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
The Byzantine Empire deserved to die, HOD. Haven't you ever heard the expression Byzantine corruption? There's a reason for that expression, and Sultan Mehmet was the cure.

The Byzantine Empire was the last vestige of the Roman Empire, which while responsible for many innovations, was a barbaric, corrupt Empire responsible for endangering the majority of animals on the endangered species list today, enslaving millions, and murdering all those who didn't want to be slaves or Roman subjects. As for what happened in the Balkans, everything that happened probably would have occurred in the exact same way under the Byzantine Empire. It was already collapsing on it's own. The Turks under Faith Sultan Mehmet merely hurried due process along.

That's personal opinion. The collapse of the Byzantine Empire was a major loss for millions and for Christendom.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - HeartOfDixie - 06-09-2014 12:37 PM

There is plenty to lead a reasonable person to loathe the man.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - bitcruncher - 06-09-2014 12:55 PM

There's plenty in history to loath Julius Caesar too. There was plenty during Caesar's time too, or he wouldn't have been stabbed to death by Roman Senators Gaius Cassius Longinus and Marcus Junius Brutus, which led to Civil War between the forces led by Marc Anthony and the forces of the Roman Senators.

There's a lot to loath about most historical figures, if you dig enough. That's because no creature is as cruel and inhumane as humanity. Even the Biblical Devil is a piker compared to mankind.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - HeartOfDixie - 06-09-2014 01:00 PM

(06-09-2014 12:55 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  There's plenty in history to loath Julius Caesar too. There was plenty during Caesar's time too, or he wouldn't have been stabbed to death by Roman Senators Gaius Cassius Longinus and Marcus Junius Brutus, which led to Civil War between the forces led by Marc Anthony and the forces of the Roman Senators.

There's a lot to loath about most historical figures, if you dig enough. That's because no creature is as cruel and inhumane as humanity. Even the Biblical Devil is a piker compared to mankind.

I'm not arguing with you, just saying there is enough with the Sultan to sustain a loathing for the man.

I think you can agree with that.

RE: What Person In History Do You Loathe? - AngryAphid - 06-09-2014 01:15 PM

The first base umpire that blew the call that cost my 9-10 year old team the state championship.