CSNbbs
Cell phones - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Cell phones (/thread-687211.html)

Pages: 1 2

Cell phones - QuestionSocratic - 04-23-2014 08:07 AM

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/21/put-down-the-phone-parents-it-could-be-affecting-your-kids/

I posted this when I read it because of this past Sunday. I was at a brunch at a very nice restaurant. At the table next to ours, the father, who was surrounded by wife, children and grandparents, spent the entire time on his cell texting.

Now I assumed since it was Sunday, he wasn't working. And he was already with his family (maybe his daughter across the table was too far away for a conversation and they were texting). So who was he texting? His golf buddies? His girlfriend? Posting a play-by-play of his meal on Twitter?

I shook my head.

RE: Cell phones - EverRespect - 04-23-2014 08:17 AM

An hour of undivided attention is better for the child than a day of being there but not "there".

RE: Cell phones - AngryAphid - 04-23-2014 08:29 AM

Parents don’t which their kids during sporting events anymore… Heck! From what I’ve seen, taking the children to the park is basically texting time.

We have become the most narcissistically insecure people on face of the Earth.

RE: Cell phones - BeliefBlazer - 04-23-2014 08:36 AM

The vast majority of people at the last concert I attended were recording on their camera phone. Their is a live band rocking on stage and everyone is staring at a little phone screen.

RE: Cell phones - Lord Stanley - 04-23-2014 08:41 AM

(04-23-2014 08:07 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Now I assumed since it was Sunday, he wasn't working.

While I don't disagree with the broader message of "everyone is on their mobile all the time" perhaps the benefit doubt is preferred to the assumption of guilt?

I sometimes fight, and I mean fight, the urge to check my phone. It sucks.

RE: Cell phones - EverRespect - 04-23-2014 08:47 AM

(04-23-2014 08:29 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Parents don’t which their kids during sporting events anymore… Heck! From what I’ve seen, taking the children to the park is basically texting time.

We have become the most narcissistically insecure people on face of the Earth.

Now that is pathetic.

RE: Cell phones - Bull_In_Exile - 04-23-2014 08:51 AM

(04-23-2014 08:07 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/21/put-down-the-phone-parents-it-could-be-affecting-your-kids/

I posted this when I read it because of this past Sunday. I was at a brunch at a very nice restaurant. At the table next to ours, the father, who was surrounded by wife, children and grandparents, spent the entire time on his cell texting.

Now I assumed since it was Sunday, he wasn't working. And he was already with his family (maybe his daughter across the table was too far away for a conversation and they were texting). So who was he texting? His golf buddies? His girlfriend? Posting a play-by-play of his meal on Twitter?

I shook my head.

Why do you assume he was not working.... He may have been on call...

RE: Cell phones - VA49er - 04-23-2014 09:00 AM

(04-23-2014 08:51 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 08:07 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/21/put-down-the-phone-parents-it-could-be-affecting-your-kids/

I shook my head.

Probably been off work all week and was facing about a million emails Monday morning. Maybe he was trying to weed through some of them?

RE: Cell phones - AngryAphid - 04-23-2014 09:11 AM

Some people like the air of importance, like those guys in
the 90’s that wore their pager on their belt loop.

Personally I see a mobile phone as a high-tech leash.

RE: Cell phones - gdunn - 04-23-2014 09:15 AM

(04-23-2014 09:11 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Some people like the air of importance, like those guys in

Saw a dude in Tulsa this past week rocking a flip phone, an iPhone, and pager on his belt.

I needed to get on his level.

RE: Cell phones - EpicNiner - 04-23-2014 09:33 AM

(04-23-2014 09:15 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 09:11 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Some people like the air of importance, like those guys in

Saw a dude in Tulsa this past week rocking a flip phone, an iPhone, and pager on his belt.

Probably work phone, personal phone, and work pager. At a former employer, when I was on call I had to carry a work phone and pager at all times.

RE: Cell phones - gdunn - 04-23-2014 09:37 AM

(04-23-2014 09:33 AM)EpicNiner Wrote:  

Probably work phone, personal phone, and work pager. At a former employer, when I was on call I had to carry a work phone and pager at all times.
I didn't realize they still made pagers..

RE: Cell phones - Paul M - 04-23-2014 09:47 AM

Was NOT me.

RE: Cell phones - EpicNiner - 04-23-2014 09:49 AM

(04-23-2014 09:37 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 09:33 AM)EpicNiner Wrote:  

I didn't realize they still made pagers..

Ha, yep. I had to wear one all the time while at work and one outside of work if I was on call.

I think they are still used in hospitals quite a bit as well.

RE: Cell phones - Paul M - 04-23-2014 09:50 AM

Had a guy working for me before everyone had a cell. He found a broken one and carried it. When he was around people, he would carry on conversations with it.

RE: Cell phones - Lord Stanley - 04-23-2014 10:08 AM

(04-23-2014 09:49 AM)EpicNiner Wrote:  I think they are still used in hospitals quite a bit as well.

Indeed, my buddy has one but only while on call. He sleeps with it under his pillow to make sure he doesn't miss a call while napping.

Otherwise everything is via smartphone. He's moving into the Admin side of the hospital on the tech end, and he's actually piloting a video chat feature for on-call doctors via their smartphone to replace the pagers.

RE: Cell phones - Kaplony - 04-23-2014 11:05 AM

When I was still working for the fire department we had a volunteer who we called "Batman" because he wore a personal cell phone, work cell phone, fire dept radio, fire dept pager, and rescue squad pager on his belt at all times. I once told him if he fell in a pond he would electrocute himself with all his electronics.

RE: Cell phones - QuestionSocratic - 04-23-2014 11:08 AM

I shook my head.

For a solid hour?

RE: Cell phones - QuestionSocratic - 04-23-2014 11:10 AM

(04-23-2014 09:00 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

I shook my head.

Probably been off work all week and was facing about a million emails Monday morning. Maybe he was trying to weed through some of them?

At a family brunch? Even if you're correct, how does that change the point of the link?

RE: Cell phones - supertiger - 04-23-2014 11:10 AM

I've seen Google Glass users lately.....I view them the same way I view the douches that wear a bluetooth all the time.