Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cell phones
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Cell phones
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/21...your-kids/

I posted this when I read it because of this past Sunday. I was at a brunch at a very nice restaurant. At the table next to ours, the father, who was surrounded by wife, children and grandparents, spent the entire time on his cell texting.

Now I assumed since it was Sunday, he wasn't working. And he was already with his family (maybe his daughter across the table was too far away for a conversation and they were texting). So who was he texting? His golf buddies? His girlfriend? Posting a play-by-play of his meal on Twitter?

I shook my head.
04-23-2014 08:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
RE: Cell phones
An hour of undivided attention is better for the child than a day of being there but not "there".
04-23-2014 08:17 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Parents don’t which their kids during sporting events anymore… Heck! From what I’ve seen, taking the children to the park is basically texting time.

We have become the most narcissistically insecure people on face of the Earth.
04-23-2014 08:29 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
The vast majority of people at the last concert I attended were recording on their camera phone. Their is a live band rocking on stage and everyone is staring at a little phone screen.
04-23-2014 08:36 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(04-23-2014 08:07 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  Now I assumed since it was Sunday, he wasn't working.

While I don't disagree with the broader message of "everyone is on their mobile all the time" perhaps the benefit doubt is preferred to the assumption of guilt?

I sometimes fight, and I mean fight, the urge to check my phone. It sucks.
04-23-2014 08:41 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(04-23-2014 08:29 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Parents don’t which their kids during sporting events anymore… Heck! From what I’ve seen, taking the children to the park is basically texting time.

We have become the most narcissistically insecure people on face of the Earth.

Now that is pathetic.
04-23-2014 08:47 AM
Advertisement

Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
(04-23-2014 08:07 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/21...your-kids/

I posted this when I read it because of this past Sunday. I was at a brunch at a very nice restaurant. At the table next to ours, the father, who was surrounded by wife, children and grandparents, spent the entire time on his cell texting.

Now I assumed since it was Sunday, he wasn't working. And he was already with his family (maybe his daughter across the table was too far away for a conversation and they were texting). So who was he texting? His golf buddies? His girlfriend? Posting a play-by-play of his meal on Twitter?

I shook my head.

Why do you assume he was not working.... He may have been on call...
04-23-2014 08:51 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-23-2014 08:51 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 08:07 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/04/21...your-kids/

I shook my head.

Probably been off work all week and was facing about a million emails Monday morning. Maybe he was trying to weed through some of them?
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 09:00 AM by VA49er.)
04-23-2014 09:00 AM
AngryAphid Offline
Arthropod of Truth

I Root For: Braves
Some people like the air of importance, like those guys in
the 90’s that wore their pager on their belt loop.

Personally I see a mobile phone as a high-tech leash.
04-23-2014 09:11 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(04-23-2014 09:11 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Some people like the air of importance, like those guys in

Saw a dude in Tulsa this past week rocking a flip phone, an iPhone, and pager on his belt.

I needed to get on his level.
04-23-2014 09:15 AM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

(04-23-2014 09:15 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 09:11 AM)AngryAphid Wrote:  Some people like the air of importance, like those guys in

Saw a dude in Tulsa this past week rocking a flip phone, an iPhone, and pager on his belt.

Probably work phone, personal phone, and work pager. At a former employer, when I was on call I had to carry a work phone and pager at all times.
04-23-2014 09:33 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion
(04-23-2014 09:33 AM)EpicNiner Wrote:  

Probably work phone, personal phone, and work pager. At a former employer, when I was on call I had to carry a work phone and pager at all times.
I didn't realize they still made pagers..
04-23-2014 09:37 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU

Was NOT me.
04-23-2014 09:47 AM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

(04-23-2014 09:37 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(04-23-2014 09:33 AM)EpicNiner Wrote:  

I didn't realize they still made pagers..

Ha, yep. I had to wear one all the time while at work and one outside of work if I was on call.

I think they are still used in hospitals quite a bit as well.
04-23-2014 09:49 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Had a guy working for me before everyone had a cell. He found a broken one and carried it. When he was around people, he would carry on conversations with it.
04-23-2014 09:50 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(04-23-2014 09:49 AM)EpicNiner Wrote:  I think they are still used in hospitals quite a bit as well.

Indeed, my buddy has one but only while on call. He sleeps with it under his pillow to make sure he doesn't miss a call while napping.

Otherwise everything is via smartphone. He's moving into the Admin side of the hospital on the tech end, and he's actually piloting a video chat feature for on-call doctors via their smartphone to replace the pagers.
04-23-2014 10:08 AM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

When I was still working for the fire department we had a volunteer who we called "Batman" because he wore a personal cell phone, work cell phone, fire dept radio, fire dept pager, and rescue squad pager on his belt at all times. I once told him if he fell in a pond he would electrocute himself with all his electronics.
04-23-2014 11:05 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I shook my head.

For a solid hour?
04-23-2014 11:08 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

(04-23-2014 09:00 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

I shook my head.

Probably been off work all week and was facing about a million emails Monday morning. Maybe he was trying to weed through some of them?

At a family brunch? Even if you're correct, how does that change the point of the link?
04-23-2014 11:10 AM
supertiger Offline
Sensible Alumnus

I Root For: Memphis TIGERS
I've seen Google Glass users lately.....I view them the same way I view the douches that wear a bluetooth all the time.
04-23-2014 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.