CSNbbs
What about Battier? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: What about Battier? (/thread-685853.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What about Battier? - hsvtiger - 04-10-2014 07:07 PM

CA Article on Battier

What about Battier as a Memphis Tigers assistant?
He is retiring, loves Memphis, is high character, very intelligent & would have the players respect from the start.

RE: What about Battier? - dfwtxtiger - 04-10-2014 07:21 PM

Works for me! Sign him up!

RE: What about Battier? - thagr82008 - 04-10-2014 07:22 PM

(04-10-2014 07:07 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  CA Article on Battier

He is retiring, loves Memphis, is high character, very intelligent & would have the players respect from the start.

+7 would be gr8 for Memphis BB overall.....would definitely be listened to;also bring intensity;toughness and a very high IQ insight and has a nice relationship with a gr8 cast of current and former NBA players.....If he wants to contribute....there should be very limted resistance or hesitation to get him onboard.....04-rock KUDOS

RE: What about Battier? - thagr82008 - 04-10-2014 07:23 PM

(04-10-2014 07:22 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

+7 would be gr8 for Memphis BB overall.....would definitely be listened to;also bring intensity;toughness and a very high IQ insight and has a nice relationship with a gr8 cast of current and former NBA players.....If he wants to contribute....there should be very limted resistance or hesitation to get him onboard.....04-rock KUDOS

O....P.S.....I almost forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.....He rarely.....If ever Curses!!!

RE: What about Battier? - OldManTiger - 04-10-2014 08:05 PM

(04-10-2014 07:23 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 07:22 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

O....P.S.....I almost forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.....He rarely.....If ever Curses!!!

Yeah, but I bet you know when he is mad because his head wrinkles up even more... Last guy I want on the floor mad at me is Shane Battier. He was a bit of an enforcer at times and seemed to relish the role.

RE: What about Battier? - eltigre - 04-10-2014 08:05 PM

Would LOVE to see him in this role for the Tigers.

RE: What about Battier? - Dynamos - 04-10-2014 08:59 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to him but I would prefer a coach with coaching experience

RE: What about Battier? - fsquid - 04-10-2014 09:01 PM

what's his motivation to get out and do the recruiting?

RE: What about Battier? - bullcity tiger - 04-10-2014 09:04 PM

Class act all the way around. He could consider TV, it is working for Grant Hill...

RE: What about Battier? - TIGERCITY - 04-10-2014 09:09 PM

(04-10-2014 08:59 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  I wouldn't be opposed to him but I would prefer a coach with coaching experience

(04-10-2014 09:01 PM)fsquid Wrote:  what's his motivation to get out and do the recruiting?

Two questions that need real answers. And I'll add a third --- is he a proven Xs and Os guy?

RE: What about Battier? - Tigers2B1 - 04-10-2014 09:16 PM

(04-10-2014 09:09 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 08:59 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  I wouldn't be opposed to him but I would prefer a coach with coaching experience

(04-10-2014 09:01 PM)fsquid Wrote:  what's his motivation to get out and do the recruiting?

Two questions that need real answers. And I'll add a third --- is he a proven Xs and Os guy?

Certainly. Hasn't King Calkins taught us anything?

RE: What about Battier? - HometownTiger - 04-10-2014 10:02 PM

Duke.

RE: What about Battier? - FUT - 04-10-2014 10:31 PM

Dont think it will happen but i think i might be ok with that.

He might turn out to be the smartest x / o guy on the bench and i do not mean that as a slight to josh. Dude has crazy credentials and a really really high basketball iq. Makes me think of kevin ollie.

RE: What about Battier? - eltigre - 04-10-2014 10:54 PM

(04-10-2014 09:09 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

And he seems to have been planning for life after basketball since college. He may a solid gig already lined up.

RE: What about Battier? - Sundanceuiuc - 04-10-2014 11:07 PM

I think he could work the defense / positioning angle right out the box. He doesn't need to coach offense, Pastner is solid there and we run some good sets. I'd bet Battier could motivate and be effective reaching kids immediately.

"Son, when I won these rings (points to rings) rolling with LeBron and DWade, I learned how to fit into a system, not unlike the system we will run at Memphis.

And when I won this ring at Duke (shows 01 ring) as the 01 MOP and was a collegiate all-american and Naismith award winner I learned the value of graduating at a university to get your education while playing in a disciplined environment that allowed me to earn tens of millions of dollars as a basketball player with limited athletic gifts.

We can win with you, teach you to run a system, and get you a degree and a chance to play for money before moving on to a comfortable career after basketball. Why won't you join the Tigers and learn with me?"

I think he'll be fine 03-wink

(04-10-2014 09:09 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Two questions that need real answers. And I'll add a third --- is he a proven Xs and Os guy?

It's not Xs and Os, it's motivation. The team this year was 'in the right place' and 'did the right things' but didn't click all the time. Pastner has a very solid basketball mind if you look at how we play. There is just something that appears to be 'locked' at times with the players.

Joe Jackson improved mightily as a distributor and a PG who will likely play for a good salary overseas. And that is JJ's and CJP's shared credit. But there seems to be an extra gear that we aren't seeing our players get. I don't think it's a problem with Pastner at all, I think he just needs a helpful voice who has 'done it'.

Battier has 'done it'.

(04-10-2014 10:31 PM)FUT Wrote:  Dont think it will happen but i think i might be ok with that.

He might turn out to be the smartest x / o guy on the bench and i do not mean that as a slight to josh. Dude has crazy credentials and a really really high basketball iq. Makes me think of kevin ollie.

I think you could see him teaching defense (especially help defense) and his ability to preach sharing the ball, combined with his credibility as a NBA rotation player who has been a key contributor on a championship team gives him immediate gravitas.

Alas, I think he is either on TV or on Duke's staff (they have to replace the assistant who left for Marquette). Still, I am down...

RE: What about Battier? - dannyb73 - 04-10-2014 11:17 PM

Shane is a good dude, but no thanks. We don't need another recruiter, we need an X's and O's guy.

RE: What about Battier? - HometownTiger - 04-11-2014 07:44 AM

(04-10-2014 11:17 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Shane is a good dude, but no thanks. We don't need another recruiter, we need an X's and O's guy.

I agree, that's what we need...but not many X/O guys are your 3rd assistant. Most of the time those are ex-Head coaches and they will be the #1 assistant. Most of the time. That's where the $$ goes too. It trickels down. I don't think we have the budget for a proven guy at the 3rd spot.

RE: What about Battier? - Rodney Carney - 04-11-2014 08:27 AM

(04-10-2014 10:02 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Duke.

Right. I love him but if he were gonna be a coach, that's where it would be.

RE: What about Battier? - dwash - 04-11-2014 08:37 AM

(04-11-2014 07:44 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 11:17 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Shane is a good dude, but no thanks. We don't need another recruiter, we need an X's and O's guy.

I agree, that's what we need...but not many X/O guys are your 3rd assistant. Most of the time those are ex-Head coaches and they will be the #1 assistant. Most of the time. That's where the $$ goes too. It trickels down. I don't think we have the budget for a proven guy at the 3rd spot.

It's more than x's and o's. Some of these guys need to be taught about how to prepare yourself and some basic fundamentals of defense and that Battier can provide in extensive detail.

RE: What about Battier? - Latilleon - 04-11-2014 08:39 AM

Battier probably gets a deal from ESPN, CBS, or Turner to be an analyst. That's probably the real reason he's retiring.

He'd be able to get seven figure deals on NBA teams just to be the veteran sage until he was 40.