Open TigerLinks

What about Battier?
Bookmark and Share
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
What about Battier?
CA Article on Battier

What about Battier as a Memphis Tigers assistant?
He is retiring, loves Memphis, is high character, very intelligent & would have the players respect from the start.
04-10-2014 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
RE: What about Battier?
Works for me! Sign him up!
04-10-2014 07:21 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(04-10-2014 07:07 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  CA Article on Battier

He is retiring, loves Memphis, is high character, very intelligent & would have the players respect from the start.

+7 would be gr8 for Memphis BB overall.....would definitely be listened to;also bring intensity;toughness and a very high IQ insight and has a nice relationship with a gr8 cast of current and former NBA players.....If he wants to contribute....there should be very limted resistance or hesitation to get him onboard.....04-rock KUDOS
04-10-2014 07:22 PM
thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
(04-10-2014 07:22 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

+7 would be gr8 for Memphis BB overall.....would definitely be listened to;also bring intensity;toughness and a very high IQ insight and has a nice relationship with a gr8 cast of current and former NBA players.....If he wants to contribute....there should be very limted resistance or hesitation to get him onboard.....04-rock KUDOS

O....P.S.....I almost forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.....He rarely.....If ever Curses!!!
04-10-2014 07:23 PM
OldManTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMTigers
(04-10-2014 07:23 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 07:22 PM)thagr82008 Wrote:  

O....P.S.....I almost forgot THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.....He rarely.....If ever Curses!!!

Yeah, but I bet you know when he is mad because his head wrinkles up even more... Last guy I want on the floor mad at me is Shane Battier. He was a bit of an enforcer at times and seemed to relish the role.
04-10-2014 08:05 PM
eltigre Online
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
Would LOVE to see him in this role for the Tigers.
04-10-2014 08:05 PM
Advertisement

Dynamos Online
Heisman

I Root For: 3 Day Weekends
I wouldn't be opposed to him but I would prefer a coach with coaching experience
04-10-2014 08:59 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
what's his motivation to get out and do the recruiting?
04-10-2014 09:01 PM
bullcity tiger Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: memphis tigers

Class act all the way around. He could consider TV, it is working for Grant Hill...
04-10-2014 09:04 PM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2014 08:59 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  I wouldn't be opposed to him but I would prefer a coach with coaching experience

(04-10-2014 09:01 PM)fsquid Wrote:  what's his motivation to get out and do the recruiting?

Two questions that need real answers. And I'll add a third --- is he a proven Xs and Os guy?
04-10-2014 09:09 PM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(04-10-2014 09:09 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 08:59 PM)Dynamos Wrote:  I wouldn't be opposed to him but I would prefer a coach with coaching experience

(04-10-2014 09:01 PM)fsquid Wrote:  what's his motivation to get out and do the recruiting?

Two questions that need real answers. And I'll add a third --- is he a proven Xs and Os guy?

Certainly. Hasn't King Calkins taught us anything?
04-10-2014 09:16 PM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Duke.
04-10-2014 10:02 PM
FUT Offline
Banned

I Root For: clarity
Dont think it will happen but i think i might be ok with that.

He might turn out to be the smartest x / o guy on the bench and i do not mean that as a slight to josh. Dude has crazy credentials and a really really high basketball iq. Makes me think of kevin ollie.
04-10-2014 10:31 PM
eltigre Online
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(04-10-2014 09:09 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

And he seems to have been planning for life after basketball since college. He may a solid gig already lined up.
04-10-2014 10:54 PM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .

I think he could work the defense / positioning angle right out the box. He doesn't need to coach offense, Pastner is solid there and we run some good sets. I'd bet Battier could motivate and be effective reaching kids immediately.

"Son, when I won these rings (points to rings) rolling with LeBron and DWade, I learned how to fit into a system, not unlike the system we will run at Memphis.

And when I won this ring at Duke (shows 01 ring) as the 01 MOP and was a collegiate all-american and Naismith award winner I learned the value of graduating at a university to get your education while playing in a disciplined environment that allowed me to earn tens of millions of dollars as a basketball player with limited athletic gifts.

We can win with you, teach you to run a system, and get you a degree and a chance to play for money before moving on to a comfortable career after basketball. Why won't you join the Tigers and learn with me?"

I think he'll be fine 03-wink

(04-10-2014 09:09 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  Two questions that need real answers. And I'll add a third --- is he a proven Xs and Os guy?

It's not Xs and Os, it's motivation. The team this year was 'in the right place' and 'did the right things' but didn't click all the time. Pastner has a very solid basketball mind if you look at how we play. There is just something that appears to be 'locked' at times with the players.

Joe Jackson improved mightily as a distributor and a PG who will likely play for a good salary overseas. And that is JJ's and CJP's shared credit. But there seems to be an extra gear that we aren't seeing our players get. I don't think it's a problem with Pastner at all, I think he just needs a helpful voice who has 'done it'.

Battier has 'done it'.

(04-10-2014 10:31 PM)FUT Wrote:  Dont think it will happen but i think i might be ok with that.

He might turn out to be the smartest x / o guy on the bench and i do not mean that as a slight to josh. Dude has crazy credentials and a really really high basketball iq. Makes me think of kevin ollie.

I think you could see him teaching defense (especially help defense) and his ability to preach sharing the ball, combined with his credibility as a NBA rotation player who has been a key contributor on a championship team gives him immediate gravitas.

Alas, I think he is either on TV or on Duke's staff (they have to replace the assistant who left for Marquette). Still, I am down...
04-10-2014 11:07 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
Shane is a good dude, but no thanks. We don't need another recruiter, we need an X's and O's guy.
04-10-2014 11:17 PM
Advertisement

HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-10-2014 11:17 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Shane is a good dude, but no thanks. We don't need another recruiter, we need an X's and O's guy.

I agree, that's what we need...but not many X/O guys are your 3rd assistant. Most of the time those are ex-Head coaches and they will be the #1 assistant. Most of the time. That's where the $$ goes too. It trickels down. I don't think we have the budget for a proven guy at the 3rd spot.
04-11-2014 07:44 AM
Rodney Carney Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(04-10-2014 10:02 PM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Duke.

Right. I love him but if he were gonna be a coach, that's where it would be.
04-11-2014 08:27 AM
dwash Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-11-2014 07:44 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  
(04-10-2014 11:17 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  Shane is a good dude, but no thanks. We don't need another recruiter, we need an X's and O's guy.

I agree, that's what we need...but not many X/O guys are your 3rd assistant. Most of the time those are ex-Head coaches and they will be the #1 assistant. Most of the time. That's where the $$ goes too. It trickels down. I don't think we have the budget for a proven guy at the 3rd spot.

It's more than x's and o's. Some of these guys need to be taught about how to prepare yourself and some basic fundamentals of defense and that Battier can provide in extensive detail.
04-11-2014 08:37 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

Battier probably gets a deal from ESPN, CBS, or Turner to be an analyst. That's probably the real reason he's retiring.

He'd be able to get seven figure deals on NBA teams just to be the veteran sage until he was 40.
04-11-2014 08:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.