CSNbbs
New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU (/thread-640008.html)

Pages: 1 2

New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 12:10 PM

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 12:36 PM

about time espn had some real competition.

although foxsports is the single biggest cause of conference realignment.

they overpaid for the big east & b12. and my beef with them overpaying on the b12 is that because they did so, they kept alive what should have been a dying conference.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 12:39 PM

(07-15-2013 12:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  about time espn had some real competition.

they overpaid for the big east & b12. and my beef with them overpaying on the b12 is that because they did so, they kept alive what should have been a dying conference.

I'm pretty sure ESPN did that when they had the ACC raid the BE 3 times, gave Texas the Longhorn network which kept them from going to the Pac-10 which made the Longhorns invest in keeping the Big XII alive.

Also they didn't over pay for the Big East, ESPN lowball bid them and they got a better and more realistic offer from Fox.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 12:58 PM

(07-15-2013 12:39 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 12:36 PM)john01992 Wrote:  about time espn had some real competition.

I'm pretty sure ESPN did that when they had the ACC raid the BE 3 times, gave Texas the Longhorn network which kept them from going to the Pac-10 which made the Longhorns invest in keeping the Big XII alive.

Also they didn't over pay for the Big East, ESPN lowball bid them and they got a better and more realistic offer from Fox.

i never believed in the espn ordered the be raids theories (i call em conspiracy theories) and they didnt overpay for the LHN to keep texas alive. they did that because they wanted to own their own school the way NBC owns notre dame

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:04 PM

(07-15-2013 12:58 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

i never believed in the espn ordered the be raids theories (i call em conspiracy theories) and they didnt overpay for the LHN to keep texas alive. they did that because they wanted to own their own school the way NBC owns notre dame

Then how about the former BC AD who said that "They told us what to do"?

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/09/boston-college-ad-confirms-espn-told-them-what-to-do-regarding-expansion-and-his-school-blocked-connecticut/

Those of us who have been following this closely have known about this for almost 2 years now.

He of course backtracked when he realized he said more than he should have.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/boston-college-athletic-director-gene-defillipo-apology-acc-expansion-espn/1#.UeRHQeB7G8A

But we all know it was the truth because he wanted to rub UConn's face in it.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:13 PM

Quit derailing threads. Thats not accepted on these boards. This thread is about FS1 and it's new commercial, not about your views on ESPN and Fox and who did what in realignment. Start your own thread for that.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - Wedge - 07-15-2013 02:14 PM

I've said this here before: ESPN and Fox are often working together. They are friendly competitors. By gobbling up so many sports properties between the two of them, they keep the NBCSN and CBSSN cable channels from becoming serious competitors. By sharing some of the expensive sports packages, they can keep their own costs down because they're not truly bidding against each other.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:17 PM

(07-15-2013 02:14 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

I've said this here before: ESPN and Fox are often working together. They are friendly competitors. By gobbling up so many sports properties between the two of them, they keep the NBCSN and CBSSN cable channels from becoming serious competitors. By sharing some of the expensive sports packages, they can keep their own costs down because they're not truly bidding against each other.

I think you'll see less of that when FS1 gets it's legs under them. They needed that at first but if they can get going they will NOT want ESPN to share those properties. Watch for a nasty fight over the B1G in three years. I think Fox wins it with their relationship with them in founding the BTN. Fox owns 49% of that channel.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:21 PM

(07-15-2013 02:04 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/10/09/boston-college-ad-confirms-espn-told-them-what-to-do-regarding-expansion-and-his-school-blocked-connecticut/

Those of us who have been following this closely have known about this for almost 2 years now.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2011/10/boston-college-athletic-director-gene-defillipo-apology-acc-expansion-espn/1#.UeRHQeB7G8A

like i said its a theory (of course other media outlets will talk about it) and lets not take the BC ad for his word. this is the same guy who claimed his school blocked uconn's entrance into the acc

it doesnt make sense to me because the acc also was threatened by instability. why would espn risk losing not one but both of their conferences in the name of hurting foxsports just a little bit

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:22 PM

(07-15-2013 02:13 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Quit derailing threads. Thats not accepted on these boards. This thread is about FS1 and it's new commercial, not about your views on ESPN and Fox and who did what in realignment. Start your own thread for that.

ive lost count on how many threads of mine have been derailed by you.....

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:23 PM

i just dont see it. espn is the sports empire....
fox threatens that.

"friendly competition" doesnt cuz bidding wars going up into the billions

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:25 PM

(07-15-2013 02:22 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 02:13 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Quit derailing threads. Thats not accepted on these boards. This thread is about FS1 and it's new commercial, not about your views on ESPN and Fox and who did what in realignment. Start your own thread for that.

Seeing how you haven't been here a month it's less than zero.

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=639473

You should read this.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:26 PM

(07-15-2013 02:21 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

like i said its a theory (of course other media outlets will talk about it) and lets not take the BC ad for his word. this is the same guy who claimed his school blocked uconn's entrance into the acc

it doesnt make sense to me because the acc also was threatened by instability. why would espn risk losing not one but both of their conferences in the name of hurting foxsports just a little bit

So it's a theory because you don't want to believe what the AD of an ACC school actually said on record to the boston globe. Gotcha.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:27 PM

(07-15-2013 02:25 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

You should read this.

-the big east thread......

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:28 PM

(07-15-2013 02:26 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 12:39 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  I'm pretty sure ESPN did that when they had the ACC raid the BE 3 times, gave Texas the Longhorn network which kept them from going to the Pac-10 which made the Longhorns invest in keeping the Big XII alive.

So it's a theory because you don't want to believe what the AD of an ACC school actually said on record to the boston globe. Gotcha.

that AD has a big mouth, huge ego, and is notorious for stretching the truth

if it was a duke/unc AD....it would be more credible. not what just one guy says

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:30 PM

(07-15-2013 02:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

You should read this.

It was about the Big East, thats keeping on subject. Disagreeing with someone is not derailing. Going off topic IS derailing. Like I said, read up on how things work here. It will do you a lot of good.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - NJRedMan - 07-15-2013 02:38 PM

(07-15-2013 02:28 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 12:58 PM)john01992 Wrote:  i never believed in the espn ordered the be raids theories (i call em conspiracy theories) and they didnt overpay for the LHN to keep texas alive. they did that because they wanted to own their own school the way NBC owns notre dame

if it was a duke/unc AD....it would be more credible. not what just one guy says

This was from a man who was in the room. Yes, he is a loud mouth, but loud mouths let secrets slip, and he clearly let a secret slip.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:42 PM

(07-15-2013 02:30 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 02:27 PM)john01992 Wrote:  

You should read this.

It was about the Big East, thats keeping on subject. Disagreeing with someone is not derailing. Going off topic IS derailing. Like I said, read up on how things work here. It will do you a lot of good.

and this is about foxsports.....thats on topic too....

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - john01992 - 07-15-2013 02:45 PM

(07-15-2013 02:38 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 02:28 PM)john01992 Wrote:  
(07-15-2013 02:04 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Then how about the former BC AD who said that "They told us what to do"?

This was from a man who was in the room. Yes, he is a loud mouth, but loud mouths let secrets slip, and he clearly let a secret slip.

and i dont think he tells the truth. theres no way that his school was the reason why the acc said no to uconn. just like theres no reason espn would take that kind of rsik, or the acc would let espn decide what schools they should add.

and besides the acc didnt exactly get a big payday from espn. all they got was 3 mill less per school than the b12 despite having almost double the market presence.

RE: New Fox Sports 1 Commercial Feat USC, OU, GTown and SJU - Wedge - 07-15-2013 02:51 PM

(07-15-2013 02:17 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

I think you'll see less of that when FS1 gets it's legs under them. They needed that at first but if they can get going they will NOT want ESPN to share those properties. Watch for a nasty fight over the B1G in three years. I think Fox wins it with their relationship with them in founding the BTN. Fox owns 49% of that channel.

I agree, the next Big Ten deal will be a test of that. Will Fox and ESPN have a bidding war over the Big Ten, with the loser being shut out? Or will they split the rights between them as they have with the Pac-12 and Big 12?