CSNbbs
Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM (/thread-603987.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - USM - 12-01-2012 01:22 PM

Football Rumor Mill ‏@fbrumormill

BigGoldNation reports Bobby Petrino among candidates to fill Southern Miss job.

https://twitter.com/fbrumormill

If this happens (huge IF), this will be the best hire in USM history, bar none. Petrino will only stick around for a few years but he will get our program into a position to be a national force in those years and allow us to build upon that momentum once he leaves.

If he is truly serious about this program then put the contract in front of him and lets get this thing done, General! This will exorcise all of the negative **** that the fanbase has been feeling.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - GreenMississippi - 12-01-2012 01:24 PM

This would take the USM vs UAB friendly rivalry to another level.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - stinkfist - 12-01-2012 01:29 PM

...been hearing this for days now from HIS camp....not sure if he is phishing, but if we can somehow get him it would be a major deal. I have to think that Arkansas being on the schedule next year doesn't hurt either...he looks like the vindictive type.

I can only assume he is waiting out the big boys first, then if they reject, he will explore lesser options. I do believe we could be the perfect scenario for each other based on current situations

His brother was an asst years ago under Bower btw

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - st932253 - 12-01-2012 01:30 PM

It would be kind of funny if you hired Eustacy and Petrino...

You'd run things around here if you did though

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - EagleX - 12-01-2012 01:42 PM

hire him. if he is willing to come to hattiesburg for a few years to rehabilitate is reputation, I am totally fine with that. we fixed eustachy, we can fix the philanderer.

we're gonna have to fit our cheerleaders and dixie darlings with chastity belts*, but so be it.

*yeah, I know. Don't say it. I was sorta makin' a point 03-shhhh

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - NothingButKnight - 12-01-2012 02:16 PM

He wouldn't stay long, but he'd win a lot of games before he left.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - PirateHeist - 12-01-2012 02:20 PM

Hope it happens for USM... could really bring back some positive momentum

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - transitt - 12-01-2012 03:23 PM

Bobby Petrino at USM? Jesus that wouldn't even be fair to the rest of CUSA!!!

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - RUNVSFD MINER - 12-01-2012 04:12 PM

That would be a great spark for the USM program. And one more reason why I hope USM, Tulsa, and UTEP stay together... Wherever we end up.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - SouthGAEagle - 12-01-2012 04:58 PM

(12-01-2012 01:42 PM)EagleX Wrote:  hire him. if he is willing to come to hattiesburg for a few years to rehabilitate is reputation, I am totally fine with that. we fixed eustachy, we can fix the philanderer.

Don't forget we're home to the sex rehab clinic that Tiger Woods stayed at...

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - Native Georgian - 12-01-2012 05:18 PM

He would create a ton of internal drama, but would *probably* win enough games to make it worthwhile.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - USM - 12-01-2012 09:50 PM

(12-01-2012 05:18 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  He would create a ton of internal drama, but would *probably* win enough games to make it worthwhile.

What kind of internal drama? You think any other coaches are going to let their wives around him? He'll be on his best behavior and will get this program back on top. SIGN THIS MAN!

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - banker - 12-01-2012 10:30 PM

If the Arkansas thing was his only indescretion that would be one thing but the guy has been a sack of chit his whole career. It's like saying the US Government should have captured Bin Laden and put him in charge of the US Special Forces because they guy was great at tactical fighting. I'm all for winning, but there are other coaches that can get you guys turned around. He left Louisville in a mess, left during the night from the Falcons, and left Arkansas in a mess.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - L1C4 - 12-01-2012 11:14 PM

(12-01-2012 10:30 PM)banker Wrote:  If the Arkansas thing was his only indescretion that would be one thing but the guy has been a sack of chit his whole career. It's like saying the US Government should have captured Bin Laden and put him in charge of the US Special Forces because they guy was great at tactical fighting. I'm all for winning, but there are other coaches that can get you guys turned around. He left Louisville in a mess, left during the night from the Falcons, and left Arkansas in a mess.

He never left Louisville a mess. That was a lie by our administration to cover up for Kragthorpe.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - GrandPointEagle - 12-02-2012 12:45 AM

(12-01-2012 11:14 PM)L1C4 Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 10:30 PM)banker Wrote:  If the Arkansas thing was his only indescretion that would be one thing but the guy has been a sack of chit his whole career. It's like saying the US Government should have captured Bin Laden and put him in charge of the US Special Forces because they guy was great at tactical fighting. I'm all for winning, but there are other coaches that can get you guys turned around. He left Louisville in a mess, left during the night from the Falcons, and left Arkansas in a mess.

He never left Louisville a mess. That was a lie by our administration to cover up for Kragthorpe.

This is very true. Brian Brohm looked like one of the best college QBs that I have ever seen under Petrino. With Kragthorpe, he looked unbelievably mediocre. Kragthorpe was god-awful.

As for Petrino at USM, if he is desperate enough and there is a clause in his contract that says if he bolts (which he will) then he owes us a ton of money. Arkansas is bad because they hired the head case known as John L Smith. That man would've made Alabama 5-7.

Even still I like Anderson, just for the sole fact that Petrino does carry some baggage and I'm not sure that's really what we need right now and, personally, I don't like the guy. But I do think that he will win, the man is a great coach and nobody can dispute that.

Still on Anderson's boat though. Still, aint my call.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - 99Tiger - 12-02-2012 01:12 AM

My $0.02...Petrino would be an excellent choice to "right the ship," even if you know he's only as loyal as his options. It would send an instant message, beyond firing EJ, that USM is serious about football (not that any of us doubt that).

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - gdunn - 12-02-2012 01:29 AM

Yea but if he comes for only a year, we're in the same boat.. Blake Anderson will get tired of us thinking about him and passing him over.

I heard Auburn was interested in him as well.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - Native Georgian - 12-02-2012 01:32 AM

(12-02-2012 01:29 AM)gdunn Wrote:  I heard Auburn was interested in him as well.
Auburn is desperate, so you never know. But I can hardly believe they would take him so soon after the Arkansas debacle.

By the way, I've heard lately that Jimbo Fisher has alienated virtually everyone in Tallahassee and even the ACC Championship doesn't win him any friends. So if Auburn really wants to open the checkbook and stick a thumb in FSU's eye, there's a good way to do it.

RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - gdunn - 12-02-2012 01:35 AM

Hardly believe Auburn wouldn't take him for that? Have you ever heard of Cam Newton, the guy who supposedly bought a laptop and threw it out the window for fear it was stolen.. Who's dad actually admitted to shopping him around to college teams.. That kid played at AU.. You don't think they'd bring in a name like that to win? Just to beat Bama 4 out of 5 games would be worth it for them..

But we'll see.. The next few weeks should make for some interesting conversations.. Personally I just want who's going to be the best for USM. If it's Petrino, I'm behind him.

Bobby petrino among candidates at USM - RedShark27 - 12-02-2012 01:42 AM

I hope NIU is talking to him.