Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bobby petrino among candidates at USM
Bookmark and Share
USM Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM | UCI
Football Rumor Mill ‏@fbrumormill

BigGoldNation reports Bobby Petrino among candidates to fill Southern Miss job.

https://twitter.com/fbrumormill

If this happens (huge IF), this will be the best hire in USM history, bar none. Petrino will only stick around for a few years but he will get our program into a position to be a national force in those years and allow us to build upon that momentum once he leaves.

If he is truly serious about this program then put the contract in front of him and lets get this thing done, General! This will exorcise all of the negative **** that the fanbase has been feeling.
12-01-2012 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
RE: Bobby petrino among candidates at USM
This would take the USM vs UAB friendly rivalry to another level.
12-01-2012 01:24 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
...been hearing this for days now from HIS camp....not sure if he is phishing, but if we can somehow get him it would be a major deal. I have to think that Arkansas being on the schedule next year doesn't hurt either...he looks like the vindictive type.

I can only assume he is waiting out the big boys first, then if they reject, he will explore lesser options. I do believe we could be the perfect scenario for each other based on current situations

His brother was an asst years ago under Bower btw
12-01-2012 01:29 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights
It would be kind of funny if you hired Eustacy and Petrino...

You'd run things around here if you did though
12-01-2012 01:30 PM
EagleX Offline
Wake me when the suck is over

I Root For: Southern Miss
hire him. if he is willing to come to hattiesburg for a few years to rehabilitate is reputation, I am totally fine with that. we fixed eustachy, we can fix the philanderer.

we're gonna have to fit our cheerleaders and dixie darlings with chastity belts*, but so be it.

*yeah, I know. Don't say it. I was sorta makin' a point 03-shhhh
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2012 01:42 PM by EagleX.)
12-01-2012 01:42 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
He wouldn't stay long, but he'd win a lot of games before he left.
12-01-2012 02:16 PM
Advertisement

PirateHeist Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
Hope it happens for USM... could really bring back some positive momentum
12-01-2012 02:20 PM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
Bobby Petrino at USM? Jesus that wouldn't even be fair to the rest of CUSA!!!
12-01-2012 03:23 PM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
That would be a great spark for the USM program. And one more reason why I hope USM, Tulsa, and UTEP stay together... Wherever we end up.
12-01-2012 04:12 PM
SouthGAEagle Offline
Overzealous Admin

I Root For: Mercer & USM

SkunkworksDonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesSurvivor Champion
(12-01-2012 01:42 PM)EagleX Wrote:  hire him. if he is willing to come to hattiesburg for a few years to rehabilitate is reputation, I am totally fine with that. we fixed eustachy, we can fix the philanderer.

Don't forget we're home to the sex rehab clinic that Tiger Woods stayed at...
12-01-2012 04:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
He would create a ton of internal drama, but would *probably* win enough games to make it worthwhile.
12-01-2012 05:18 PM
Advertisement

USM Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM | UCI
(12-01-2012 05:18 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  He would create a ton of internal drama, but would *probably* win enough games to make it worthwhile.

What kind of internal drama? You think any other coaches are going to let their wives around him? He'll be on his best behavior and will get this program back on top. SIGN THIS MAN!
12-01-2012 09:50 PM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
If the Arkansas thing was his only indescretion that would be one thing but the guy has been a sack of chit his whole career. It's like saying the US Government should have captured Bin Laden and put him in charge of the US Special Forces because they guy was great at tactical fighting. I'm all for winning, but there are other coaches that can get you guys turned around. He left Louisville in a mess, left during the night from the Falcons, and left Arkansas in a mess.
12-01-2012 10:30 PM
L1C4 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL
(12-01-2012 10:30 PM)banker Wrote:  If the Arkansas thing was his only indescretion that would be one thing but the guy has been a sack of chit his whole career. It's like saying the US Government should have captured Bin Laden and put him in charge of the US Special Forces because they guy was great at tactical fighting. I'm all for winning, but there are other coaches that can get you guys turned around. He left Louisville in a mess, left during the night from the Falcons, and left Arkansas in a mess.

He never left Louisville a mess. That was a lie by our administration to cover up for Kragthorpe.
12-01-2012 11:14 PM
GrandPointEagle Offline
All American

I Root For: USM, Wave, SELU
(12-01-2012 11:14 PM)L1C4 Wrote:  
(12-01-2012 10:30 PM)banker Wrote:  If the Arkansas thing was his only indescretion that would be one thing but the guy has been a sack of chit his whole career. It's like saying the US Government should have captured Bin Laden and put him in charge of the US Special Forces because they guy was great at tactical fighting. I'm all for winning, but there are other coaches that can get you guys turned around. He left Louisville in a mess, left during the night from the Falcons, and left Arkansas in a mess.

He never left Louisville a mess. That was a lie by our administration to cover up for Kragthorpe.

This is very true. Brian Brohm looked like one of the best college QBs that I have ever seen under Petrino. With Kragthorpe, he looked unbelievably mediocre. Kragthorpe was god-awful.

As for Petrino at USM, if he is desperate enough and there is a clause in his contract that says if he bolts (which he will) then he owes us a ton of money. Arkansas is bad because they hired the head case known as John L Smith. That man would've made Alabama 5-7.

Even still I like Anderson, just for the sole fact that Petrino does carry some baggage and I'm not sure that's really what we need right now and, personally, I don't like the guy. But I do think that he will win, the man is a great coach and nobody can dispute that.

Still on Anderson's boat though. Still, aint my call.
12-02-2012 12:45 AM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
My $0.02...Petrino would be an excellent choice to "right the ship," even if you know he's only as loyal as his options. It would send an instant message, beyond firing EJ, that USM is serious about football (not that any of us doubt that).
12-02-2012 01:12 AM
Advertisement

gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Yea but if he comes for only a year, we're in the same boat.. Blake Anderson will get tired of us thinking about him and passing him over.

I heard Auburn was interested in him as well.
12-02-2012 01:29 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(12-02-2012 01:29 AM)gdunn Wrote:  I heard Auburn was interested in him as well.
Auburn is desperate, so you never know. But I can hardly believe they would take him so soon after the Arkansas debacle.

By the way, I've heard lately that Jimbo Fisher has alienated virtually everyone in Tallahassee and even the ACC Championship doesn't win him any friends. So if Auburn really wants to open the checkbook and stick a thumb in FSU's eye, there's a good way to do it.
12-02-2012 01:32 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
Hardly believe Auburn wouldn't take him for that? Have you ever heard of Cam Newton, the guy who supposedly bought a laptop and threw it out the window for fear it was stolen.. Who's dad actually admitted to shopping him around to college teams.. That kid played at AU.. You don't think they'd bring in a name like that to win? Just to beat Bama 4 out of 5 games would be worth it for them..

But we'll see.. The next few weeks should make for some interesting conversations.. Personally I just want who's going to be the best for USM. If it's Petrino, I'm behind him.
12-02-2012 01:35 AM
RedShark27 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
I hope NIU is talking to him.
12-02-2012 01:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.