CSNbbs
Fire Blaine Taylor - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Fire Blaine Taylor (/thread-599948.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Tbac3 - 11-26-2012 09:25 AM

(11-23-2012 03:49 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(11-23-2012 02:41 PM)Tbac3 Wrote:  Do you all realize that the CAA favorite this year is 1 - 3 and playing Xavier today. Should they lose they will have the same record as ODU. Should they fire Bruiser? Most teams and programs go through down times. I do agree that the recruiting needs to step up, however as one can see that virtually 10% of Div 1 players transferred last year, there may be tough times for a lot of schools. I believe Selig will address our MBB situation at the end of the year.

You see this is the type of clueless fan/fans we are fighting against here.

Comparing us to Drexel? Really??????

A. Drexel fans have had "Fire Bruiser" threads for the last 5 years. It's become something of a running joke.

B. They lost to Kent St. in OT, Illinois St. in OT and St. Mary's. All three of those teams are potential NCAA tourney teams.

They are also missing their best player, Chris Fouch, who is out for the season with a serious injury. Not even a remotely comparable situation to us losing to UTSA, Holy Cross and VMI at home with a full roster.

People will literally do and say anything they possibly can to excuse Blaine's piss poor performance.

Drexel??? Really??? They'll still win the CAA, they'll still go to the tourney as the auto bid.

We have no chance of either. They also have, what, 1/6th of the total resources ODU has? Maybe less??? Not even sure but I do know it isn't even close.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR BLAINE'S TERRIBLE RECRUITING.

First of all I am certainly not clueless about the game or the circumstances surrounding Div 1 athletics. Secondly, all I was pointing out is that the journey is a long one and it doesn't always play out like you would like. Just made an observation that as the conference favorite, Drexel was struggling as well. The clueless part has me laughing as I'm sure my basketball resume certainly exceeds yours (successful coach in a very successful program, father of 2 college athletes,coached over 15 kids that have gone on to play Div 1 or div 2 basketball, etc). Stop bashing people you don't even know.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - TheDancinMonarch - 11-26-2012 09:52 AM

(11-17-2012 08:52 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(11-17-2012 08:48 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  This is all so much worthless blather. The only way to get the attention of the administration is to withhold ODAF contributions and to stop the purchase of season tickets.

I assume you meant to post this in the Fire Blaine thread ehhh?

Quite aware actually. I have had many negative things to say about BT in the past. So much so that one poster threatened bodily harm to me. Remember that Barp p? I do!

But when things went well, 2 CAA championships (could have been 3 but for a Lee injury), NCAA win, 20+ win seasons, I had the good sense to shut up. Unlike you who prattled on with an endless stream of negativity that today make your words totally meaningless while being at the same time, substantially correct. And now you're banned. Seems about right to me

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Monarch_Pride - 11-26-2012 10:03 AM

Rather than firing Blaine and eating contract money, hold onto him and use that money to fortify Wilder's contract. We're going to seriously need it.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - monarchman - 11-27-2012 08:54 PM

Just a thought, but one thing that in part seems to be true with all of this conference realignment, is being GOOD and RELEVANT in your major sports (not always true). Two things the men's basketball program is not accomplishing right now. I'm sure that's something that's gone through Selig's head because any kind of edge would be a good thing in these uncertain times.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Razor Ramon Monarch - 11-28-2012 01:07 AM

(11-26-2012 09:25 AM)Tbac3 Wrote:  
(11-23-2012 03:49 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(11-23-2012 02:41 PM)Tbac3 Wrote:  Do you all realize that the CAA favorite this year is 1 - 3 and playing Xavier today. Should they lose they will have the same record as ODU. Should they fire Bruiser? Most teams and programs go through down times. I do agree that the recruiting needs to step up, however as one can see that virtually 10% of Div 1 players transferred last year, there may be tough times for a lot of schools. I believe Selig will address our MBB situation at the end of the year.

You see this is the type of clueless fan/fans we are fighting against here.

Comparing us to Drexel? Really??????

A. Drexel fans have had "Fire Bruiser" threads for the last 5 years. It's become something of a running joke.

B. They lost to Kent St. in OT, Illinois St. in OT and St. Mary's. All three of those teams are potential NCAA tourney teams.

They are also missing their best player, Chris Fouch, who is out for the season with a serious injury. Not even a remotely comparable situation to us losing to UTSA, Holy Cross and VMI at home with a full roster.

People will literally do and say anything they possibly can to excuse Blaine's piss poor performance.

Drexel??? Really??? They'll still win the CAA, they'll still go to the tourney as the auto bid.

We have no chance of either. They also have, what, 1/6th of the total resources ODU has? Maybe less??? Not even sure but I do know it isn't even close.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR BLAINE'S TERRIBLE RECRUITING.

First of all I am certainly not clueless about the game or the circumstances surrounding Div 1 athletics. Secondly, all I was pointing out is that the journey is a long one and it doesn't always play out like you would like. Just made an observation that as the conference favorite, Drexel was struggling as well. The clueless part has me laughing as I'm sure my basketball resume certainly exceeds yours (successful coach in a very successful program, father of 2 college athletes,coached over 15 kids that have gone on to play Div 1 or div 2 basketball, etc). Stop bashing people you don't even know.

That's all nice and well, but I've learned quite a bit of basketball myself. I've studied it, played, read books on it and even played (using the word "played" very loosely because I never even saw the court) for a season for Mike Rhoades at Randolph Macon before he became an assistant at VCU. I definitely learned a ton from him and am not the least bit surprised Shaka Smart has been having a ton of success with Rhoades as his top assistant.

Hell, I'd take Coach Rhoades over Blaine Taylor right now, no questions asked, simply because he would recruit circles around him.

We all know basketball, or think we do. That's why when you see some of the things Blaine does that make no sense (like go away from something that is working for no reason (certain lineups work tremendously and then we don't see them again for the rest of the game, the wacky substitutions, the constant switching of defenses when one is working (going zone against Isaah freaking Canaan was suicidal) it really makes you scratch your head.

The inability to recruit is just a byproduct of top recruits hearing all about Blaine and his whackiness and not wanting any part of it. Big time recruits will never want to be "program players" where they are forced to redshirt and play a system of basketball than boxes them in as players. Sure, it makes some better, like Frank and Baze, but some guys never got any better and some even got worse.

The point is, we can stick with what we have and hope Blaine miraculously starts hitting big time recruits (although he is 0/2 thus far with this coming year by recruiting 2 guys with ZERO other offers) or we can take a chance on a big time assistant from a BCS school or a proven coach from a lesser school.

There are plenty of options out there, if you want to hear some of them, I'll be more than happy to list them for you.

Re: Fire Blaine Taylor - monarchman - 12-01-2012 08:59 PM

Gotta go, gotta go.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Razor Ramon Monarch - 12-01-2012 09:13 PM

Vaya con dios Blaine. You'll get a nice little package from ODU that you can take back to Montana with you.

Jim Jarrett needs a drinking buddy.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - bit_9 - 12-02-2012 02:25 AM

Caught the end of the game on the radio.

p.s. heard the name Milan Brown thrown out and around today? shrug. who knows.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Razor Ramon Monarch - 12-02-2012 03:07 AM

(12-02-2012 02:25 AM)Cr8n Wrote:  Caught the end of the game on the radio.

p.s. heard the name Milan Brown thrown out and around today? shrug. who knows.

Not interested. We can do much better. We can get a top assistant at a MAJOR University, a Calipari recruiter, a Coach K disciple, a Roy Williams or Tom Izzo disciple.

We would be a VERY attractive first job for a big time assistant at any one of those schools. I'd rather have a young hungry guy, like a Shaka or Johnson at VT, than an old washed up retread......Blaine was hungry when he first got to ODU.....no one will deny that.....but if you still think he's that same guy....you are crazy.

The midlife crisis is real......and so are the results we are seeing on the court. All to real. Time to look for another young hungry warrior who wants to make a name for himself and for ODU.

Bobby Wilder is proof perfect than an assistant coach can come in, take over a program and have success from day 1. Young and hungry is the route we need to go.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - ODUR8R - 12-02-2012 09:48 AM

Where have Coach K's assistants landed? Missouri, Stanford, Seton Hall. Unless you mean Jeff Capel the top guys go right over our heads, they have that luxury.

Wojo and Collins aren't coming here. They are waiting for him to leave.

I've got some names but my thinking is there's another time and place for that. Wood was a Villa 7 last year with many of our guys but many other big time assistants, one of which is a huge Big 10 recruiter at a final 4 school.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - VCUfan - 12-02-2012 10:13 AM

Jeff Boals? He's a good one. He replaced Shaka as an assistant at Akron in 2006 when Shaka got the Clemson assistant job.

He is an Ohio alum and put his hat in the ring to replace John Groce but was passed over in favor of Jim Christian at TCU. Ohio's loss could be ODU's gain. Clearly Boals is okay with moving for the right situation and ODU does have some good things going for it.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Old Dominion Navy - 12-02-2012 04:08 PM

I don't really see anybody on his side anymore. The pro-Blaine side has gone from "give him time" to "at least wait till the end of the season"

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - odufansam - 12-02-2012 04:34 PM

(12-02-2012 04:08 PM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  I don't really see anybody on his side anymore. The pro-Blaine side has gone from "give him time" to "at least wait till the end of the season"

I will go on record as saying that Blaine should keep his job. For me, one terrible season doesn't undue the past 5 years.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - EverRespect - 12-02-2012 05:59 PM

I said as early as last year we were heading to UNCW territory and it would happen faster than you'd think. I was laughed off MonarchNation. I knew it would happen and I knew it would be fast, but even I am surprised at how fast this went down. I figured Painter falling in Taylor's lap might kick the can down the road another year. If Wood Selig made any good decisions, it was denying Taylor that lifetime contract.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - TheDancinMonarch - 12-02-2012 06:53 PM

(12-02-2012 04:34 PM)odufansam Wrote:  
(12-02-2012 04:08 PM)Old Dominion Navy Wrote:  I don't really see anybody on his side anymore. The pro-Blaine side has gone from "give him time" to "at least wait till the end of the season"

I will go on record as saying that Blaine should keep his job. For me, one terrible season doesn't undue the past 5 years.

I am relatively certain that next year will be worse. What will you think then? Until we can recruit someone or two with some size who is/are ready to play we will not be able to bail fast enough.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Dominion - 12-02-2012 08:46 PM

Wood is very smooth (not a criticism). He talked about a lifetime deal for Blaine, then didn't do it. That's recruiting gold for your opposition. Blaine had major supporters in his pocket. Not now.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Monarchblue - 12-02-2012 08:53 PM

Interesting take, but keep in mind the recruiting catastrophe started well before Wood's alleged sabotage. Good to hear the donors are open to change though.

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Razor Ramon Monarch - 12-02-2012 10:04 PM

Wood has stones. He moved us to CUSA, he canned Wendy and he brought in his own guy to take over the reigns of the baseball program.

He hopefully win not accept such poor results from Taylor as "rebuilding" and see it for what it is, a complete and utter collapse.

From a sub 30 RPI to a 300+ rpi in 2 years is NOT REBUILDING. It's a complete and utter collapse.

1 NCAA win by 1 point over an overrated Notre Dame team in 12 years as a head coach when you had

Team A.
Loughton, Hunter, Dahi, Drew, VV, Johnson, Thomas etc.

and Team B.
Lee, Hassell, Finney, Carter, Bazemore, Cooper, James, Trian etc.

For 2 years plus for each team minus a player or two........it simply isn't good enough to excuse this debacle. The word is out on Blaine. No one wants to play for him.

Fire him at the end of the season. If we lose the guys he's recruited thus far for next year......then ummm, we lose two guys with zero other offers.......so I think there is a fairly good chance they will stick with ODU regardless.

Jesus that is sad.

Make the change Wood.....now is your chance to make YOUR stamp on this program. Blaine made his and then did he best to erase it with the last few years of recruiting. Now make YOURS by hiring us a WINNER!

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - Monarchs - 12-03-2012 11:36 AM

Count me as another one that's transferred from the "Keep Blaine, he's not amazing, but solid" camp to the "Let's get some new blood in" camp.

1. 1 NCAA win in 17 years. We shouldn't accept that, Monarch fans. We're better than that. We should be consistently dominating the CAA, regularly making the Tourney, and occassionally (more than we've seen) being Top 25-ranked.

2. I don't know that the next coach necessarily has to be "young", but he does need to bring energy and have the players EXCITED to play for him. Teams that are excited to play FOR their coach (as opposed to: for themselves, for exposure, etc.) can do things that they shouldn't be able to. They win games, and beat teams they're not supposed to. So, not necessarily young, but we need a young style of play. Just..like..VCU. Over the last few years, when we've played VCU and I've watched them on TV, I've had a weird pit in my stomach. Why? Because they were SCARY GOOD. They were exciting, passionate, talented, and simply tenacious. They could beat ANYBODY on a given gameday. And I want that for ODU.

3. The start of this season, and more importantly, my fear for the next couple seasons, has changed my mind about BT. We CAN'T SETTLE, PEOPLE. I know it's not entirely fair to compare the basketball and football programs, but it's safe to say that most of us only DREAMED of the success ODU football has had in its first years. Why settle for an average (slumping to below-average) basketball team? The recruits are out there...in our OWN backyard. Let's go get em.

Finally, I want to ask a question to Monarch fans who want to fire Blaine (I do, too). Is there ANY merit to keeping him (as a "seasoned coach", etc.) for our transition to C-USA? Would it be detrimental to our program to hire a newbie who has to oversee that (possibly difficult) transition?

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor - ODU Hugh - 12-03-2012 11:41 AM

Day after the season ends, Wood needs to make it happen. New conference, new coach. No better time.