ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Fire Blaine Taylor
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Fire Blaine Taylor
This needs its own thread. No more beating around the bush, I will come out and say it. It is time to fire Taylor, and frankly all the assistants, clean house and start over from scratch. This just isn't working out anymore. I do think Taylor was a good coach when he was in his prime, but after failing in the NCAAs in '10-'11, when it became abundantly clear he would never realize his dream of coaching in the PAC 12, we have been overcome by mid-life crisis, complacency, and laziness and the game has clearly passed him by. I believe he is now simply collecting a paycheck until he retires and his head really isn't into it anymore.

While we finally have a good point guard and our front court is weak, we are still running the same playbook as if DeLancey and James are the PGs and Hassell, Cooper, and Lee are on the team. This is inexcusable and highlights the laziness that has permeated. We have also fallen into the familiar pattern of letting our good players rot on the bench. The failiure to put together a winnable game plan for this team is obvious. Just look at the 2nd half minutes. Wright gets rewarded for turnovers, getting dunked over on about 4 different occasions, and jacking up bad shots early in the shot clock while Palmore and Batten, who dominated the 1st half rot on the bench. Finally, Batten and Palmore get in the game at the same time, cut a 12 point deficit to 4, and get yanked so Cleveland State can resume the sh*tstorm. If I am either of those players, I am studying my transfer options.

At some point you have to ask what is really going on. Is it incompetance or are there ulterior motives? How can you justify that strategy with any kind of intellectual honesty? Either he is incompetant or he had cash on Cleveland State covering. Either way he has no business coaching anymore.

Now let's look at recruitng. After all the success from lucking out on Hassell and Bazemore and having Lee fall in his lap, we still can't beat out anyone better than Radford for recruits. Is it really surprising that we are now playing on the level of Radford? The apologists will throw up the flag and call this a "rebuilding year", but that was the same excuse used last year and next year is going to be even worse.

The pathetic thing is this year's CAA is worse than it has ever been and VCU isn't in it and I doubt we finish better than 7th. In fact, I bet we finish behind W&M this year.

Again, I do think Taylor is a good coach when he is in it, but now that there is no reason to put in the work, he has lost his passion. We need to get some fresh blood in there or we are going to get as bad as UNCW (if we aren't already there).

We have a good freshman PG and Sophomore SG and some decent young potential role players That someone new could work with and have us competitive immediately while we really rebuild with worthy recruits. There are a slew of young black assistants from BCS schools out there that would love to get their shot in CUSA and recruits can relate to. Doesn't even have to be black, Wojo from Duke would be a great get as he has been studying under Coach K for years and would easily be able to use success with ODU in CUSA to launch into the BCS.

One thing for sure is we cannot allow this trajectery to continue.
11-17-2012 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Old Dom Swag Offline
1st String

RE: Fire Blaine Taylor
If they do go this route I would throw in the name Orlando Antigua. He's Calipari's top assistant at UK and is a beast recruiter. He is under 40 and would be a great hire. He was heavily linked to the Duqense job last year and is a hot name for all openings. He hasn't had a head coaching job before so it wouldn't break the bank to sign him and he has the potential to bring in great recruits. He was on Calipari's staff at Memphis when they ran the CUSA so he has familarity with the conference.
11-17-2012 06:13 PM
SportsDoc757 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Old Dominion
No stache is bad juju.
11-17-2012 06:24 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

Really, this same thread could of been put up before the season even started. Realistically, it would be at minimum 2 more years for this team to be competitive by winning a conference title (CAA or CUSA) and or going to a NCAA tournament, under its current regime.

Personally, I don't find that acceptable, especially when we are going to what is historically a more competitive and much better funded conference. What makes this season different than others, is that I think more and more people are going to fully considering the possibility of Blaine going on the chopping block. There really is no defense of the downward trajectory of the program since that Butler game (high personnel turnover, academic issues, poor recruiting, ect.) And it really should be no surprise to anyone that closely follows the program. The on the court performance is just not good and will not be for the foreseeable future.

I was actually surprised he didn't take the Wyoming job (if it was his to take). It would of been a good fit for him. I said it previously, but generally when you have an AD that didn't hire an under performing coach, that coach does not stay around long.
(This post was last modified: 11-17-2012 08:07 PM by monarchman.)
11-17-2012 07:52 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

Interesting to note, people are discussing this subject on Monarch Nation, which tends to a bit less "activist" when it comes to regime change

BT take notice
11-17-2012 08:04 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

He has at least until next season to win a tournament game. It's debatable if he can accomplish that but I believe those are the parameters.

The bottom line is that he has until then, why make his job more difficult and stunt the growth of Palmore/Batten/Bacote/Ross and Clark?

It's a pointless venture.
11-17-2012 08:15 PM
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

Dude....we just signed a guy that Radford was thinking about offering a scholarship and a guy from Canada with no other offers who is 6"7 215.

He needs to go at the end of THIS SEASON. PERIOD.

Painter and Hill transfering are the only reason this team isn't a complete and total joke.
11-17-2012 08:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I respect the opinion but the reality is unless he does something stupid he is all but guaranteed another year.

FWIW, Painter and Hill have been absent through 4 games. Disappointing.
11-17-2012 08:25 PM
Obiwan Offline
1st String

This didn't take long... Expectations out of whack.. Leadership on the court needs to change first.. Coaches don't lace em up.
11-17-2012 08:42 PM
Heisman

(11-17-2012 08:25 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  I respect the opinion but the reality is unless he does something stupid he is all but guaranteed another year.

FWIW, Painter and Hill have been absent through 4 games. Disappointing.

Something stupid like what? Having a player arrested on the court? Signing a bunch of barely d-1 players?

Having 3 guys kicked off the team in 1 year for academics or because they just plain suck?

What else does he have to do?

For the record......our offense has ALWAYS BEEN THIS BAD. It's just that our insanely good offensive rebounding always masked the stink of our bad offensive sets and poor outside shooting.

This year, without those offensive rebounds and dominating the defensive boards, you are seeing exactly what I've seen ALL ALONG which is a good defensive coach with TERRIBLE OFFENSIVE SETS.

We've never had a good offense......we just got second third and fourth attempts because we dominated the boards and we got at least 10 points a game if not more off of stickbacks. Without those baskets, we are what we are.........1-3 without having played a good team yet.

And we will be worse next year and we are still recruiting players that Radford didn't even offer. Why does he deserve to keep his job?

Because he got lucky and landed two Euro studs that he had never even seen before that someone else found for him? Or because John Richardson found Baze in the swamp down in NC? Or because Frank the Tank worked his arse off to become a stud C instead of the guy from Indian River who had zero other offers?

Why do people keep crediting Blaine with turning these guys into great players? They turned themselves into great players.

Cooper never developed an outside game.......neither has Wright......Larsen? Pimentel? Keyon Carter came in with a 3 point shot and only got marginally better over the years.

Let's face it, Frank made himself who he was by turning himself into a doughy PF into a beast of Center in the weight room. He was the guy who was responsible for becoming a beast.....not Blaine.

Meanwhile Blaine has wasted very talented shooters in the past like Neely, Lidonde, Hunter to a lesser degree and now Batten by keeping them in the doghouse and never letting them fully play to their potential.

Face it......Blaine's offense is garbage, always has been, always will be and recruits know it. That's why DFS didn't even consider coming here after he left VT. He wanted to go to a real program with a real coach and a real offense where he can get noticed by the NBA.

Blaine didn't get picked up by a bigger school for a REASON. That reason is because he can't recruit big time players and no big time recruits want to play in a system where 62-50 is a high scoring game. Rockfights may work when you have guys like Frank, Coop, Finney and Carter, but not when you have guys like Anton and Larsen.

Taylor clearly has no plan B and that's why we will end this season with a losing record. And next year will be even worse.

So why drag out the inevitable. He gets credit for turning the program around but he also deserves Blaine for letting it fall apart under his watch.

Key, Pimentel, Larsen, Hicks, Mitchell, Wright.......not nearly good enough over the last couple years. We need a young energetic coach who can recruit the 757 and connect with some big time recruits. Blaine clearly isn't and never will be that guy.

That's why we just signed two guys with ZERO OTHER OFFERS. Not good enough......period.
11-17-2012 08:44 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(11-17-2012 08:42 PM)Obiwan Wrote:  This didn't take long... Expectations out of whack.. Leadership on the court needs to change first.. Coaches don't lace em up.

They do however offer the scholarships and define the roles.
11-17-2012 08:44 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(11-17-2012 08:42 PM)Obiwan Wrote:  This didn't take long... Expectations out of whack.. Leadership on the court needs to change first.. Coaches don't lace em up.

No....expectations of the fans need to rise. We should be at least VCU's equal. They are miles ahead of us right now and they went to the Final 4 two years ago, won a NCAA tourney game last year and are probably headed back to the tourney this year.

We should never finish with a losing record and we will not only this year but next year as well.

Have some pride in your University and know and believe that we can and will do better than what we are currently getting from Blaine Taylor.

We just signed two more kids who average 10 and 9 points a game in high school and had zero other offers.

Raise your expectations....that simply isn't good enough for a mid major program moving up in conferences. 03-banghead
11-17-2012 08:48 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

This is all so much worthless blather. The only way to get the attention of the administration is to withhold ODAF contributions and to stop the purchase of season tickets.
11-17-2012 08:48 PM
Heisman

(11-17-2012 08:48 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  This is all so much worthless blather. The only way to get the attention of the administration is to withhold ODAF contributions and to stop the purchase of season tickets.

I assume you meant to post this in the Fire Blaine thread ehhh?

For what its worth.....if Blaine is he head coach next year, I will not renew my season tickets which I've had for decades (although I only started paying for them after I graduated). My pops has pledged to do the same.

We need to go in a new direction immediately.
11-17-2012 08:52 PM
Obiwan Offline
1st String

I was referring to what my expectations were to begin the season.. I'm rolling with it..
11-17-2012 08:53 PM
Old Dominion Navy Offline
The Lion King

I Root For: ODU SDSU
What's even worse is seeing VCUs blowout win over Winthrop as a headline on the sports section of Yahoo.
11-18-2012 11:35 AM
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(11-17-2012 08:53 PM)Obiwan Wrote:  I was referring to what my expectations were to begin the season.. I'm rolling with it..

What were they? I don't see that you contributed to the prediction thread, where nobody had us any worse than 3-1 at this point.
11-18-2012 12:22 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I had 19-11 now I'm going with 14-16.
11-18-2012 12:45 PM
Obiwan Offline
1st String

(11-18-2012 12:22 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(11-17-2012 08:53 PM)Obiwan Wrote:  I was referring to what my expectations were to begin the season.. I'm rolling with it..

What were they? I don't see that you contributed to the prediction thread, where nobody had us any worse than 3-1 at this point.

What is this a betting site? I don't live on the boards but I realized we are a young team and really didn't know what to expect..but what does it matter what one stated as far as wins and losses? I will still go the games buy season tickets regardless of what happens..why because I'm an Odu fan and support... Wait until next year when the football team drops some games .. What will you all say then.. Wilder needs to go?? Maybe you should have lowered your expectations the crow wouldn't have tasted so bad..
11-18-2012 03:26 PM
vbundy Offline
Water Engineer

Recruiting has sucked but he was winning games. That has now stopped. Odu needs a fresh start with a young coach who fights for top players from the area. The Ted will be empty if this keeps up.
11-18-2012 03:26 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.