CSNbbs
Doc wrote this? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Doc wrote this? (/thread-562576.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Doc wrote this? - CD11 - 03-22-2012 09:53 AM

If Greg Oden's an NBA player, so am I. We've played in roughly the same number of games.

RE: Doc wrote this? - Lush - 03-22-2012 10:28 AM

(03-22-2012 09:53 AM)CD11 Wrote:  If Greg Oden's an NBA player, so am I. We've played in roughly the same number of games.

i actually feel bad for oden. blazers in general, what with brandon roy

RE: Doc wrote this? - ohio1317 - 03-22-2012 11:59 AM

(03-22-2012 09:27 AM)CD11 Wrote:  
(03-22-2012 09:21 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  Serioulsy, what the hell is Buckeye basketball? And where do they get off feeling too elite to risk playing us or anyone? Reading some of the articles you'd think they've won multiple national titles in the last few years or have been some uber dominant program. Have they been better than us in the last 6 years, sure but that's expected when our program was totally imploded and rebuilt over 5 years. We're now both in the sweet 16 and I'd argue we play in a better overall basketball conference. As far as I'm concered, we're on equal footing with those cowards up north and I have a feeling with what Mick is building we'll be passing them by in little time.

Thad Matta is absolutely fantastic.

At doing less with more than anyone in the country.

Seriously though. Most overrated coach ever. Zero accomplishments to his name.

Depends on what your rating on. If all you care about is the NCAA Tournament then he has underachieved with his seeds to be sure. If you care about the regular season though he's been great. Ohio State has been Big Ten champs more than anyone else while he's been here (including this year (although have to share title with 2 Michigan schools)) and I believe he actually has a better record since he started coaching than anyone else including Izzo (I'd have to check that though).

As someone who cares about Big Ten championships more than anything less than a Final Four (and maybe even then), I wouldn't trade Matta for anyone.

RE: Doc wrote this? - Lush - 03-22-2012 12:10 PM

(03-22-2012 11:59 AM)ohio1317 Wrote:  
(03-22-2012 09:27 AM)CD11 Wrote:  
(03-22-2012 09:21 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  Serioulsy, what the hell is Buckeye basketball? And where do they get off feeling too elite to risk playing us or anyone? Reading some of the articles you'd think they've won multiple national titles in the last few years or have been some uber dominant program. Have they been better than us in the last 6 years, sure but that's expected when our program was totally imploded and rebuilt over 5 years. We're now both in the sweet 16 and I'd argue we play in a better overall basketball conference. As far as I'm concered, we're on equal footing with those cowards up north and I have a feeling with what Mick is building we'll be passing them by in little time.

Thad Matta is absolutely fantastic.

At doing less with more than anyone in the country.

Seriously though. Most overrated coach ever. Zero accomplishments to his name.

Depends on what your rating on. If all you care about is the NCAA Tournament then he has underachieved with his seeds to be sure. If you care about the regular season though he's been great. Ohio State has been Big Ten champs more than anyone else while he's been here (including this year (although have to share title with 2 Michigan schools)) and I believe he actually has a better record since he started coaching than anyone else including Izzo (I'd have to check that though).

As someone who cares about Big Ten championships more than anything less than a Final Four (and maybe even then), I wouldn't trade Matta for anyone.

y'all certainly do have a great coach. i really don't think anyone can question that.

RE: Doc wrote this? - bearcatlawjd - 03-22-2012 12:30 PM

Cincinnati doesn't care about Ohio State basketball but every Bearcat fan on this board would give anything for a win tonight. In the long run the Bearcats' rivals are probably going to remain Xavier, Louisville, Miami, Dayton, Memphis, and Marquette because those are the schools UC has the most basketball history with.

I do agree that there is very little sense of Ohio pride in the tri-state area. I have worked in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio and people tend to view this region as Greater Cincinnati. While only a certain segment are UC fans this area contians many Reds and Bengals fans and people with a sense of Cincinnati Pride. Ohio State football does recieve coverage but I believe Kentucky basketball is bigger in this area.

We don't care about Michigan or the rivalry. It takes around same time to drive to Ann Arbor as it would to drive to Nashville, Pittsburgh, and Cleveland; however, Bengals fans are obbessed with the Steelers the same way Ohio State is with the Maize and Blue.

Ohio State's basketball history has been more up and down than Cincinnati's but the Buckeyes under Matta have taken advantage of the NCAA tournament better than UC did under Huggins.

Cincinnatians are not Buckeyes, we didn't grow up in Lima, Xiena, or any of the smaller towns that bleed Scarlet and Grey.

National Championships, Final Fours, Sweet Sixteens, and then Big East Conference Championships are probably the order of achievements for UC fans.

RE: Doc wrote this? - Racinejake - 03-22-2012 12:41 PM

This is what I don't get about OSU fans (and their administration). They see UC as well below them. I can't for the life of me figure out where the paranoia comes in for them in believing that by playing UC people will see the two as equals.

Here is quote from an OSU message board that has been repeated hundreds of times in the last few days:

"Playing them every year moves them to our level. You don't make a rival out of someone that is below you......They are not and have never been on our level."

If you were a doctoral candidate pursuing a PhD in psychology, this would be a fascinating thesis. What is the mindset of a group of people who admit they are essentially trying to 'keep down' other state funded institutions within their own state? What sorts of things leads people to establishing this mindset? Especially when both programs have relatively the same level of accomplishments?

RE: Doc wrote this? - JackieTreehorn - 03-22-2012 01:08 PM

Of course they feel threatened when they've been the only BCS level school in the state for years and now we're a BCS level school as well, and were better in football this past season. That has to cut to the core of all they believe holy.
The best way to handle it is to beat their a$$ tonight, move on to the elite 8, and let them stew for another 50 years.

RE: Doc wrote this? - SuperFlyBCat - 03-22-2012 01:17 PM

(03-22-2012 12:41 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  

This is what I don't get about OSU fans (and their administration). They see UC as well below them. I can't for the life of me figure out where the paranoia comes in for them in believing that by playing UC people will see the two as equals.

Here is quote from an OSU message board that has been repeated hundreds of times in the last few days:

"Playing them every year moves them to our level. You don't make a rival out of someone that is below you......They are not and have never been on our level."

If you were a doctoral candidate pursuing a PhD in psychology, this would be a fascinating thesis. What is the mindset of a group of people who admit they are essentially trying to 'keep down' other state funded institutions within their own state? What sorts of things leads people to establishing this mindset? Especially when both programs have relatively the same level of accomplishments?

At best that is just wishful thinking.
When your entire existence is OSU this and Cow Town that. Cow Town and OSU fans are a billion times more parochial in their limited view than Cincinnati and UC fans.

Now the other explanation is just flat out ignorance and arrogance. Ignoring UC's compelling basketball history is a choice, and not too respect that is arrogant.