CSNbbs
This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State (/thread-498971.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - SF Husky - 06-01-2011 03:53 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6611808

No idea Pryor drove as many as multiple cars during his 3 years. NCAA is looking into 50 cars purchased by Ohio State players and friends.

I wonder if this is the main reason why Pryor dropped Rich Rod and Michigan for Ohio State during his recruitment.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - CatsClaw - 06-01-2011 05:55 AM

Now SI is saying up to 28 Ohio State players sold memorabilia and some people are expecting Ohio State to be banned from postseason play for the next few years.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - ClairtonPanther - 06-01-2011 06:39 AM

Man I respected Pryor as a high school player and wished he had a way to rewind time. But to go to the team meeting the other night in a brand new Nissan while having a suspended license just makes him look like a bigger ass. I'm sorry man, but when the heat is on you, you lay low.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Native Georgian - 06-01-2011 06:45 AM

(06-01-2011 05:55 AM)CatsClaw Wrote:  Now SI is saying up to 28 Ohio State players sold memorabilia and some people are expecting Ohio State to be banned from postseason play for the next few years.

If Ohio State does not get an SMU-style "death penalty" (and it's beginning to look like they should), then the NCAA really ought to come out and declare publicly that no school is ever going to get the death penalty, no matter what.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - ClairtonPanther - 06-01-2011 06:47 AM

(06-01-2011 06:45 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 05:55 AM)CatsClaw Wrote:  Now SI is saying up to 28 Ohio State players sold memorabilia and some people are expecting Ohio State to be banned from postseason play for the next few years.

If Ohio State does not get an SMU-style "death penalty" (and it's beginning to look like they should), then the NCAA really ought to come out and declare publicly that no school is ever going to get the death penalty, no matter what.

sorry but I disagree. If OSU continues violating NCAA rules after sanctions/probation is handed out, then I'll agree with you. Right now they're facing a penalty slightly worse than what USC got.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - CatsClaw - 06-01-2011 07:01 AM

This supposedly dating back to 2002, their national championship season and includes favors, benefits, weed, likely contributing to underaged drinking and who knows what else. All while the coach covered it up, and it's obvious that if this has been going on for a decade that Mr Gee and friends had to know about it. How this isnt Lack of Institutional Control is beyond me.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Hokie4Skins - 06-01-2011 07:15 AM

Here is the question: Is it possible to be perennial Top Five Program and not violate myriad of NCAA rules? The biggest sin here is the dreaded "failure to report." As the recruiting world has gotten smaller over the last decade with the explosion of Rivals.com and internet scouting, it's a lot harder to discover and then retain really good to elite kids. The national competition for some of these kids' signatures on NSD has gotten pretty crazy. That is why you see situations like this.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - KnightLight - 06-01-2011 08:32 AM

(06-01-2011 06:39 AM)animus Wrote:  Man I respected Pryor as a high school player and wished he had a way to rewind time. But to go to the team meeting the other night in a brand new Nissan while having a suspended license just makes him look like a bigger ass. I'm sorry man, but when the heat is on you, you lay low.

Not only that...but it was a brand new Nissan 350Z with DEALER TEMPORARY TAGS!!!

Now...maybe a family member bought it for him...but it seems clear that Pryor was able to use car dealerships as "rental car services" and basically pick up a "new car" whenever he wanted. (i.e. seems that every time Pryor got a traffic ticket over the last few years, he was driving a different car with temporary dealer tags).

Not ONE OSU Football/OSU Athletic Official, Coach, Asst Coach, Grad Asst, etc...ever noticed that Pryor kept showing up all the time in new/different cars and report it to the OSU compliance office so they could look at it?

Seems pretty obvious that almost ALL of them just "looked the other way...and its was accepted practice at OSU for star players to reap "star" benefits from area businesses, including car dealerships.
From ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/27313/focus-now-turns-to-terrelle-pryor-and-cars

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - KnightLight - 06-01-2011 08:38 AM

(06-01-2011 07:15 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Here is the question: Is it possible to be perennial Top Five Program and not violate myriad of NCAA rules? The biggest sin here is the dreaded "failure to report." As the recruiting world has gotten smaller over the last decade with the explosion of Rivals.com and internet scouting, it's a lot harder to discover and then retain really good to elite kids. The national competition for some of these kids' signatures on NSD has gotten pretty crazy. That is why you see situations like this.

Top 5?

When you have maybe a Top 50 program like Mississippi State offering $180,000 to get a top recruit (who in turn REJECTS your offer for a seemingly better offer), if some Top 50 programs are going to that length to try and sign recruits...its obvious that some (maybe most) top teams are doing the same...or even worse, that we may not of just as yet (i.e. promising Pryor "free" new cars every few months, take any OSU Football Equipment you want...sign it...and trade it for Cash, free merchandise, expensive tattoos, etc...)

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - TexanMark - 06-01-2011 10:56 AM

tOSU has been dirty for years...I hope they take a nice long ride down.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - cinbinsportsfan - 06-01-2011 10:59 AM

(06-01-2011 08:38 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 07:15 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Here is the question: Is it possible to be perennial Top Five Program and not violate myriad of NCAA rules? The biggest sin here is the dreaded "failure to report." As the recruiting world has gotten smaller over the last decade with the explosion of Rivals.com and internet scouting, it's a lot harder to discover and then retain really good to elite kids. The national competition for some of these kids' signatures on NSD has gotten pretty crazy. That is why you see situations like this.

Top 5?

When you have maybe a Top 50 program like Mississippi State offering $180,000 to get a top recruit (who in turn REJECTS your offer for a seemingly better offer), if some Top 50 programs are going to that length to try and sign recruits...its obvious that some (maybe most) top teams are doing the same...or even worse, that we may not of just as yet (i.e. promising Pryor "free" new cars every few months, take any OSU Football Equipment you want...sign it...and trade it for Cash, free merchandise, expensive tattoos, etc...)

That's a good point. If Mississippi State is willing to give $180 grand for a recruit, exactly how much are the Alabamas, USCs, O$Us, Florida States, etc. willing to pay for top recruits.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Tigeer - 06-01-2011 01:30 PM

If all of this is true and documented, I sure will be disappointed from my Memphis perspective if they do not strip their NC from '02. However, this is "The Ohio State University" we are talking about here, not Ohio University (the better academic institution in Ohio) - they may not get what is due them.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - CD11 - 06-01-2011 02:49 PM

(06-01-2011 01:30 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  If all of this is true and documented, I sure will be disappointed from my Memphis perspective if they do not strip their NC from '02. However, this is "The Ohio State University" we are talking about here, not Ohio University (the better academic institution in Ohio) - they may not get what is due them.

03-lmfao

Would love to hear where you got that information.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Tigeer - 06-01-2011 03:26 PM

(06-01-2011 02:49 PM)CD11 Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 01:30 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  If all of this is true and documented, I sure will be disappointed from my Memphis perspective if they do not strip their NC from '02. However, this is "The Ohio State University" we are talking about here, not Ohio University (the better academic institution in Ohio) - they may not get what is due them.

03-lmfao

Trying to rev up somebody, just did not know it would be a UC somebody.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - CatsClaw - 06-01-2011 04:48 PM

(06-01-2011 03:26 PM)Tigeer Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 02:49 PM)CD11 Wrote:  

03-lmfao

Trying to rev up somebody, just did not know it would be a UC somebody.
03-lmfao

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - bitcruncher - 06-01-2011 05:40 PM

I'm just glad Pryor didn't come to Morgantown, if that's what it took to get him...

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - thecomet89 - 06-01-2011 06:59 PM

(06-01-2011 05:40 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm just glad Pryor didn't come to Morgantown, if that's what it took to get him...

true, this is getting really nasty.....id love for the ncaa to send a message and give "the" ohio state university the death penalty

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Tigeer - 06-02-2011 03:14 PM

(06-01-2011 06:59 PM)thecomet89 Wrote:  
(06-01-2011 05:40 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  I'm just glad Pryor didn't come to Morgantown, if that's what it took to get him...

true, this is getting really nasty.....id love for the ncaa to send a message and give "the" ohio state university the death penalty

Isn't going to happen, but they can make it difficult for them for 3-4 years. This will give Michigan time to right the recent trend.

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - bitcruncher - 06-02-2011 03:34 PM

Then again, Michigan could remain bad for a while. Brady Hoke is going to run a pro-set offense with players tailored to RR's offense...

RE: This thing could get real ugly for Ohio State - Tigeer - 06-02-2011 06:25 PM

(06-02-2011 03:34 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Then again, Michigan could remain bad for a while. Brady Hoke is going to run a pro-set offense with players tailored to RR's offense...

Could be right; they needed to give RRod 1-2 more years. So many just could not stomach his antics.