CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Check out this quote from the new AD at New Mexico
"I come from the MAC, so the Mountain West looks like a BCS conference to us."

Article published Monday, March 13, 2006

Krebs leaving to be New Mexico's AD
Falcons' athletic director calls decision to move 'bittersweet'

By MAUREEN FULTON
BLADE SPORTS WRITER

BOWLING GREEN - Bowling Green State University athletic director Paul Krebs is leaving for the University of New Mexico.

Krebs, who has led BGSU's athletic department for the past seven years, will be introduced as the Lobos' new AD in a news conference today in Albuquerque.

Krebs flew there with his family yesterday after watched the BGSU women's basketball team win the Mid-American Conference Tournament championship in Cleveland on Saturday. He had accepted the job Friday.

He said he likely won't start at New Mexico until June, but that it would be up to BGSU president Sidney Ribeau how long he stays at BGSU and that they hadn't had a chance to discuss it yet.

"I thought it was a great opportunity for me and my family, a great professional and personal opportunity," said Krebs, a 1978 BGSU graduate. "It was a difficult decision. I have strong feelings for all the programs, the coaches, and staff. As an alum, it's bittersweet, but I leave there with fond memories."

BGSU has not yet decided on an interim athletic director. Ed Whipple, BGSU's vice president of student affairs, said he would meet with Ribeau this week to determine the school's next step.

"We have been fortunate to have had outstanding leadership from Paul Krebs the last seven years," Whipple said. "Our athletic and academic performance has been superb thanks to his efforts. We wish Paul and his family all the best."

Krebs was hired at BGSU in March, 1999, after spending 14 years at Ohio State, the final six as senior associate athletic director. In Bowling Green, he led makeovers for several of the school's athletic programs.

Krebs hired women's basketball coach Curt Miller and women's soccer coach Andy Richards, each winners of back-to-back MAC titles, as well as former football coach Urban Meyer and current coach Gregg Brandon, who have both pushed their squads into the national rankings.

Krebs was also behind several facilities renovations and spearheaded a $3.5 million donation, largest in the athletic department's history, for construction of the Sebo Athletic Center. The Sebo Center broke ground in December and is expected to be completed in winter 2007.

Krebs interviewed at New Mexico March 3, and was the first of the candidates to visit. During his day there, he told Albuquerque media, "I come from the MAC, so the Mountain West looks like a BCS conference to us."

The search committee liked his organization and his experience in handling a large budget at Ohio State. New Mexico acting president David Harris made the final decision and will recommend Krebs to the school's board of regents today, which is expected to accept his choice.

"We were especially impressed with the emphasis he places on academic performance and the overall integration of the student-athlete into campus life," Harris said.

New Mexico athletic director Rudy Davalos will retire from the position Aug. 31.

It became clear Krebs had the job when the other two finalists took themselves out of contention over the weekend, Northern Iowa's Rick Hartzell on Friday and Wichita State's Jim Schaus yesterday.

In the past 1 1/2 years, eight MAC schools have had turnover at their athletic director position.

Contact Maureen Fulton at: mfulton@theblade.com or 419-724-6160.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../603130389
03-13-2006 10:40 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane

He's insulting the MAC.
Is there something else?
03-13-2006 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Dark Knight Offline
Banned

I Root For:

LMAO, thanks Leo. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one. lmfao Hey I can't blame the guy. Compared to the MAC any 1-A league looks like a BCS conference. When he got there and they told him New Mexico averaged almost 40K fans in FB he must have been like..."WHAT??? You mean it's actually POSSIBLE to average more than 15,000???????WOW! I've NEVER seen that before where I come from. This must be a BCS conference!!"
03-13-2006 11:01 AM
onlinepole Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NU & NIU

The Dark Knight Wrote:LMAO, thanks Leo. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that one. lmfao Hey I can't blame the guy. Compared to the MAC any 1-A league looks like a BCS conference. When he got there and they told him New Mexico averaged almost 40K fans in FB he must have been like..."WHAT??? You mean it's actually POSSIBLE to average more than 15,000???????WOW! I've NEVER seen that before where I come from. This must be a BCS conference!!"

What's more important attendance or winning football games? The last 5 bowls MAC vs CUSA the MAC has won 4 of 5 by a total score of 210 to 130. That's an average score of 42 to 26.

In it's 16 games since 2000 vs the Big 12 North, the MAC is 6-10, damned impressive when only 3 were played in a MAC stadium. This year Toledo has Kansas at home and Iowa St on the road, Ohio plays as Missouri. A MAC sweep would give us a 9-10 record this decade vs Big 12 North, don't be surprised if a MAC sweep happens.

Your Eastern Division champion this year was 8-16 in it's 3 seasons in the MAC. When Marshall won in the MAC they had to cheat to do it (on probation the past few years) and were only 6-4 vs the MAC West.

I'll take the better performance on the field vs higher attendance all day! 05-stirthepot 04-chairshot 04-rock lmfao lmfao
03-17-2006 10:49 AM
Advertisement

william146 Offline
Back in action...

I Root For: East Carolina

yet the better performances on the field still translates into no one caring -- at least more people care about C-USA teams
03-17-2006 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Dark Knight Offline
Banned

I Root For:

william146 Wrote:yet the better performances on the field still translates into no one caring -- at least more people care about C-USA teams
In the long run I don't see the MAC being able to keep up. They have no fan support, they have small stadiums and arenas, and on top of that they are in the the shadow of the Big-10 and Big East and only one bowl nearby. They are a one-and-done league in basketball and their tv contract pays almost nothing. Their bowl "revenue" is pitiful as well. As the years go by the advantages the new CUSA has will enable it to grow stronger every year and the MAC will not be able to keep up. They couldn't keep up with the old CUSA and they won't be able to keep up with the new one either.
03-17-2006 11:11 AM
Golden Jedi Knight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
Re: Check out this quote from the new AD at New Mexico
Leonardo Wrote:"I come from the MAC, so the Mountain West looks like a BCS conference to us."

I'm not sure this was meant as an insult. According to the article, Krebs is still working at BGSU at the moment. Why would he start insulting the MAC while still working at a MAC school? Maybe he was asked a question about the difference in revenue or national exposure between the MWC and the MAC and made an honest reply. A quote taken out of context can be made to look like it means something other than what the speaker intended.

I don't get why some C-USA posters here feel the need to take digs at the MAC. If you're really so "above" the MAC, then prove it by ignoring them.
03-18-2006 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.