Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Toledo Men's Basketball Coach a Candidate for Utah St
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Toledo Men's Basketball Coach a Candidate for Utah St
03-27-2024 08:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

freshtop Online
All American

I Root For: WKU
RE: Toledo Men's Basketball Coach a Candidate for Utah St
What is Tod's salary now? I found mentions of an extension in 22-23, but didn't see a dollar figure. I think USU can pay around $1.1 mil or so based off previous coaches they have had.
03-27-2024 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(03-27-2024 09:00 AM)freshtop Wrote:  What is Tod's salary now? I found mentions of an extension in 22-23, but didn't see a dollar figure. I think USU can pay around $1.1 mil or so based off previous coaches they have had.

I would think the Toledo job > UTU job
03-27-2024 11:03 AM
mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(03-27-2024 11:03 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 09:00 AM)freshtop Wrote:  What is Tod's salary now? I found mentions of an extension in 22-23, but didn't see a dollar figure. I think USU can pay around $1.1 mil or so based off previous coaches they have had.

The MWC is a stronger conference, and Utah St. has a very passionate BB fanbase with an average attendance of 8,500 and legacy of getting to the tourney. They were an 8 seed at-large this season and made it to the second round. It's a clear step up from any school in the MAC.
03-27-2024 11:14 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Utah St. is a clear step up, and I’m sure the pay would reflect that. Bigger budget, rabid fan base, high expectations. What could go wrong? Actually, I’d be at least a little surprised if they went after a coach with no NCAA success. Interesting rumor though.

The other question would be, would he want leave the Midwest where he’s very established and head to Utah? You’d say sure, if he were a young coach, but the older coaches get, the more they may value stability and want to stay where they are.
03-27-2024 11:34 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
NCAA Tournament appearances in the last 40 years
Utah State - 14
Toledo - 0

Utah State would be a considerable upgrade. Like Axeme, I'm actually surprised Todd is near the top of the list. I would have thought they'd target someone who has had more success in March. Then again, they tried that with their last hire and he bolted after 1 season. Maybe they think someone like Todd they would have a better chance of retaining.
03-27-2024 11:50 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

(03-27-2024 11:14 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  

The MWC is a stronger conference, and Utah St. has a very passionate BB fanbase with an average attendance of 8,500 and legacy of getting to the tourney. They were an 8 seed at-large this season and made it to the second round. It's a clear step up from any school in the MAC.

Agreed, if Keith Dambrot can leave Akron for Duquesne (which hadn't made the Tournament in over 50 years), I could see a MAC coach leaving for the MWC which had six Tournament bids (even if they have underachieved in the Tournament, except for SDSU).
03-27-2024 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
There is speculation in Bowling Green that Todd Simon could also be on Utah State's radar. It may be a reach given that he's only been in Bowling Green a year, but he did have success at Southern Utah, and this surely did not escape notice in Logan.
03-27-2024 12:42 PM
OUBobcat1804 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Ohio
(03-27-2024 12:27 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 11:14 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  

Agreed, if Keith Dambrot can leave Akron for Duquesne (which hadn't made the Tournament in over 50 years), I could see a MAC coach leaving for the MWC which had six Tournament bids (even if they have underachieved in the Tournament, except for SDSU).

Another factor for Tod K to leave for Utah State is that they might be in the PAC-12 in a year or two.
03-27-2024 11:18 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Sources close the the family of Simon from BG have confirmed he's gone.

At least they have a solid AD who will make another good hire.

Getting pretty hard to try and support a MAC school any more.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2024 01:29 PM by Redwingtom.)
03-28-2024 01:29 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Good grief, now there's more rumblings that it's actually Tod. Who knows...LOL

03-28-2024 01:48 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

On a somewhat related note, former Buffalo head coach Nate Oats and Ohio guard Mark Sears have Alabama in the Elite 8. Alabama's roster is filled with a bunch of former mid-major players.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024 08:52 AM by epasnoopy.)
03-29-2024 08:51 AM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
(03-27-2024 11:34 AM)axeme Wrote:  Utah St. is a clear step up, and I’m sure the pay would reflect that. Bigger budget, rabid fan base, high expectations. What could go wrong? Actually, I’d be at least a little surprised if they went after a coach with no NCAA success. Interesting rumor though.

The other question would be, would he want leave the Midwest where he’s very established and head to Utah? You’d say sure, if he were a young coach, but the older coaches get, the more they may value stability and want to stay where they are.

I'd say its a good deal both ways.

For Todd: Utah State more pay better shot at tournament.
For Toledo: Find a coach that can make the tournament.

Utah State at one time had a difficult time getting into a conference and had to play in the SBC with Idaho. Its mainly they play in the MWC which is a better BB conference than the MAC rather than so much it being an outstanding job.
03-29-2024 09:32 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-29-2024 09:32 AM)Garden_KC Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 11:34 AM)axeme Wrote:  Utah St. is a clear step up, and I’m sure the pay would reflect that. Bigger budget, rabid fan base, high expectations. What could go wrong? Actually, I’d be at least a little surprised if they went after a coach with no NCAA success. Interesting rumor though.

I'd say its a good deal both ways.

For Todd: Utah State more pay better shot at tournament.
For Toledo: Find a coach that can make the tournament.

Utah State at one time had a difficult time getting into a conference and had to play in the SBC with Idaho. Its mainly they play in the MWC which is a better BB conference than the MAC rather than so much it being an outstanding job.

Not really a good deal for UT. If it were that simple, they would have hired that coach at least once in the last 44 years.
03-29-2024 10:04 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
So who IS getting the Utah State job - Simon or Kowalczyk?
03-29-2024 03:31 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(03-29-2024 03:31 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  So who IS getting the Utah State job - Simon or Kowalczyk?

Coach K is staying.
03-29-2024 07:28 PM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(03-29-2024 07:28 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(03-29-2024 03:31 PM)MajorHoople Wrote:  So who IS getting the Utah State job - Simon or Kowalczyk?

Coach K is staying.

Apologize for being a little dark. Being happy and having a good coach, who appreciates were he is great news! Sure Coach K has a network of friends being in Toledo for so long. People matter.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2024 10:15 PM by Steve1981.)
03-29-2024 08:14 PM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
It won’t be Todd Simon.

03-29-2024 10:51 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

So they went with the Youngstown State coach who has never been to the tournament and is only a dozen games over .500. The guy isn't nearly the candidate that Toledo Tod is.
03-29-2024 11:46 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Hope you guys get his new salary package to 750k. He definitely has earned it.
03-30-2024 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.