Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

D'Antoni Out... Corny In
Bookmark and Share
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
MyBB D'Antoni Out... Corny In
So is Corny just finishing out Dan's contract and then a real search starts? I'm hoping that's the case.

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/03/25/mu-parti...n-dantoni/

By Keith Morehouse
Published: Mar. 25, 2024 at 6:25 PM EDT|Updated: 13 hours ago

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) - Marshall University is parting ways with head men’s basketball Coach Dan D’Antoni, university sources tell WSAZ on Monday evening.

The Herd had a 13-20 record during the 2023-2024 season.

Marshall University released the following announcement:

Marshall Athletics announced on Monday afternoon that there will be a leadership change within the Men’s Basketball program.

Associate head coach Cornelius Jackson will take over as head coach for Dan D’Antoni, who spent 10 seasons leading the Herd.

“This has been an inspiring decade of Marshall Basketball under the leadership of Coach D’Antoni,” said Christian Spears, Marshall’s Director of Athletics. “His commitment to Marshall is unrivaled and his legacy will be honored for years to come. He built a program that plays for a community who deeply cares about him and our student-athletes. We wish him the very best and look forward to seeing him as he continues to support the program he built.

“We are confident that Coach Jackson will continue using the vast knowledge gained under Coach D’Antoni while maintaining the sincere connection to the student-athletes who played for D’Antoni and Corny over the last decade.”
03-26-2024 06:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HD76 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Herd
RE: D'Antoni Out... Corny In
So basically we have lame ducks in both Football and MBB in the next two years. No way to build a winning program or boost attendance.

I guess Marshall has realized that we will never move to a higher level and will keep getting passed by newcomers so why try? I've been a fan for 51 years now and it's tough being in a poor state where the top program gets the lion's share of the money allotted for secondary education. wvu will have trouble competing in this new conglomerate. We have little chance. :(
03-26-2024 07:20 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall
I'm down to give Corny a chance. I've always said he should take over for DD. I hate it ended the way it did, but I still think Corny should be given a shot. He was an up and coming assistant when we hired him. He could very well be a diamond in the rough.
03-27-2024 09:09 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(03-27-2024 09:09 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  I'm down to give Corny a chance. I've always said he should take over for DD. I hate it ended the way it did, but I still think Corny should be given a shot. He was an up and coming assistant when we hired him. He could very well be a diamond in the rough.

I agree, but damn I'm tired of giving assistants a chance. We get burned every single time over the last 20 years. Pruett and Billy Donovan were the last two assistants that worked out.
03-27-2024 10:13 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

(03-27-2024 10:13 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 09:09 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  I'm down to give Corny a chance. I've always said he should take over for DD. I hate it ended the way it did, but I still think Corny should be given a shot. He was an up and coming assistant when we hired him. He could very well be a diamond in the rough.

I agree, but damn I'm tired of giving assistants a chance. We get burned every single time over the last 20 years. Pruett and Billy Donovan were the last two assistants that worked out.

To be fair though, how many assistants have we promoted in Basketball and Football?
03-28-2024 07:08 AM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(03-28-2024 07:08 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  
(03-27-2024 10:13 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  

To be fair though, how many assistants have we promoted in Basketball and Football?

Promoted? I don't think any. I know Pruett wanted Keuck to replace him and I think Doc wanted Legg. Was Dwight Freeman a promotion?
03-28-2024 08:22 AM
Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

They gave CJ a 3-year today. I'm not sure about this hire. Would have been nice to get someone outside coming in.
04-01-2024 05:49 PM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(04-01-2024 05:49 PM)Johns1124 Wrote:  They gave CJ a 3-year today. I'm not sure about this hire. Would have been nice to get someone outside coming in.

I agree, this makes me nervous. Why do we always seem so bush league. I mean just hire someone with HC experience for a change. Look what that did for WBB!
But no.. for football and basketball we will continue to hire career assistants and position coaches.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2024 07:14 AM by GreenBison.)
04-02-2024 07:13 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(04-02-2024 07:13 AM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(04-01-2024 05:49 PM)Johns1124 Wrote:  They gave CJ a 3-year today. I'm not sure about this hire. Would have been nice to get someone outside coming in.

I agree, this makes me nervous. Why do we always seem so bush league. I mean just hire someone with HC experience for a change. Look what that did for WBB!
But no.. for football and basketball we will continue to hire career assistants and position coaches.

Every fan base in America hates the next hire till they don't. Saban might be the one exception when he went to Alabama.
04-12-2024 12:45 PM
Advertisement

GreenBison Offline
Heisman

(04-12-2024 12:45 PM)MUther Wrote:  

Every fan base in America hates the next hire till they don't. Saban might be the one exception when he went to Alabama.

Well today we hired another HC for WBB with HC experience. I just feel like we're always hiring people that have to learn on the job when it comes to MBB and Football.
04-12-2024 01:43 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(04-12-2024 01:43 PM)GreenBison Wrote:  
(04-12-2024 12:45 PM)MUther Wrote:  

Well today we hired another HC for WBB with HC experience. I just feel like we're always hiring people that have to learn on the job when it comes to MBB and Football.

Our best football coaches started coaching in 1-AA. I don't know why we don't draw from there. Willing to give Corny a pass until proven otherwise. Besides if he does well he'll have one of the best names in coaching. You know...sht that matters.
04-12-2024 04:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.