UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Athletic Success in the last 7 years
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
UAB Athletic Success in the last 7 years
Just wanted to highlight UAB's FB and BB success in the past 7 years.

Too bad our president, AD, or marketing won't. I saw that Samford is all in marketing their basketball team and their "All Heart. All Ball" slogan after that bad call.

UAB Football
3 straight CUSA West Division Champs
2017 - The Return is success on it's own, but to got 8-4 and go to a bowl. Incredible
2018 - 11-3* Most wins in a single season in history. CUSA Champs. First Bowl Game win
2019 - CUSA West Division Champ
2020 - CUSA Champ

UAB Basketball

4 Straight 20+ wins under AK
2021 - 27-8. CUSA Tourament Champs. NCAA Tournament. Jelly - CUSA POTY
2022 - 29-10. Back to Back most wins in UAB history. CUSA Tournament Runner Up. NIT Runner Up
2023 - AAC Conference Champs. NCAA Tournament. Yax - AAC DPOTY
03-25-2024 09:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: UAB Athletic Success in the last 7 years
Marketing cost money. Ingram isn't going to miss his bonus for being under budget.
03-25-2024 11:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(03-25-2024 11:10 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Marketing cost money. Ingram isn't going to miss his bonus for being under budget.

Social Media marketing costs next to nothing. And they do some of that, but not really enough in the "bragging" category.
03-25-2024 11:25 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(03-25-2024 11:10 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Marketing cost money. Ingram isn't going to miss his bonus for being under budget.

That’s a really dumb clause to have in a contract for an AD. I get that you don’t want a guy just signing blank checks, but athletics draw attention the school, which is a good thing for all parties involved. His bonus should be tied to donations and butts in seats at this point, maybe he’d care a little more about those things then.
03-25-2024 11:31 AM
Advertisement

blazerjay Offline

Donators
(03-25-2024 11:31 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

That’s a really dumb clause to have in a contract for an AD. I get that you don’t want a guy just signing blank checks, but athletics draw attention the school, which is a good thing for all parties involved. His bonus should be tied to donations and butts in seats at this point, maybe he’d care a little more about those things then.

I hope he was being facetious.
03-25-2024 11:35 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I am not gonna bash the marketing staff. They can only do so much within the resources allotted. What I would say is that there are a few of things I would like to see, and they don't particularly require a whole lot of spend (but they do require some and some effort directed in new directions):

1) Market the program, particularly football and basketball, toward people who don't have tickets more than the people who do. UAB does an amazing job of selling to people who already bought. Much less so to potential customers than existing customers.
2) Must tell the story! Most people in the market do not have any context for how successful UAB Athletics has been in the two major sports. They only know that it isn't Esssssssss Eeeeee Seeeeee.
3) Focus on how FUN going to UAB events is. Show that! Show the smiling faces, the kids having a blast, the amazing access and interaction with the athletes, the relatively hassle-free ability to get in and out. You don't get that everywhere and especially don't get it for the price you can get that at UAB.
4) Good old fashioned legwork. Door to door. Every single business in downtown / southside / Lakeview should be getting a personal visit. Every single scout troop, youth league, church group and student group should be getting a personal visit and an offer for group tickets. I'd devote 10-20 staff hours a week to in-person visits like this.
5) Promotions, promotions, promotions. Market UAB like the Barons or Bulls. Part of the fun for those teams is the promotions.
6) Sprint goals around upsells. And don't wait to sell October tickets in October. Get those things sold in September.
7) Follow-ups with people who buy tickets. Almost every ticket purchase now requires data and registration. Personalizing the follow up: "Hey, how was the game? Here's a quick fan experience survey." followed up later with a thank you for filling out the survey here is a discount offer for more tickets works wonders.
8) Grow those email lists. But don't abuse them with newsletters. Rather, engage subscribers with more calls to action on deals!
03-25-2024 11:54 AM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2024 11:54 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  I am not gonna bash the marketing staff. They can only do so much within the resources allotted. What I would say is that there are a few of things I would like to see, and they don't particularly require a whole lot of spend (but they do require some and some effort directed in new directions):

1) Market the program, particularly football and basketball, toward people who don't have tickets more than the people who do. UAB does an amazing job of selling to people who already bought. Much less so to potential customers than existing customers.
2) Must tell the story! Most people in the market do not have any context for how successful UAB Athletics has been in the two major sports. They only know that it isn't Esssssssss Eeeeee Seeeeee.
3) Focus on how FUN going to UAB events is. Show that! Show the smiling faces, the kids having a blast, the amazing access and interaction with the athletes, the relatively hassle-free ability to get in and out. You don't get that everywhere and especially don't get it for the price you can get that at UAB.
4) Good old fashioned legwork. Door to door. Every single business in downtown / southside / Lakeview should be getting a personal visit. Every single scout troop, youth league, church group and student group should be getting a personal visit and an offer for group tickets. I'd devote 10-20 staff hours a week to in-person visits like this.
5) Promotions, promotions, promotions. Market UAB like the Barons or Bulls. Part of the fun for those teams is the promotions.
6) Sprint goals around upsells. And don't wait to sell October tickets in October. Get those things sold in September.
7) Follow-ups with people who buy tickets. Almost every ticket purchase now requires data and registration. Personalizing the follow up: "Hey, how was the game? Here's a quick fan experience survey." followed up later with a thank you for filling out the survey here is a discount offer for more tickets works wonders.
8) Grow those email lists. But don't abuse them with newsletters. Rather, engage subscribers with more calls to action on deals!

With all the new lofts, apartments, etc., they need to reach out to the people that live there to come to games. Many could walk from their home & not have to worry about parking. Maybe put out a flier or pocket schedule with all the home games listed with a coupon code to get a couple dollars off tickets.
03-25-2024 10:14 PM
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
(03-25-2024 10:14 PM)Marathon Blazer Wrote:  With all the new lofts, apartments, etc., they need to reach out to the people that live there to come to games.

03-lmfao Nobody can actually afford to live in those lofts/apartments.
03-25-2024 10:18 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
(03-25-2024 11:54 AM)DuelingDragon Wrote:  I am not gonna bash the marketing staff. They can only do so much within the resources allotted. What I would say is that there are a few of things I would like to see, and they don't particularly require a whole lot of spend (but they do require some and some effort directed in new directions):

This
03-25-2024 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(03-25-2024 10:18 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  
(03-25-2024 10:14 PM)Marathon Blazer Wrote:  With all the new lofts, apartments, etc., they need to reach out to the people that live there to come to games.

People do live there. And if they're people who can afford those prices, all the more reason to market to them.
03-26-2024 08:41 AM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

The adage "win and they will come" is true to an extent, but it also matters who you beat. And we can't take untimely bad losses right as we're building fan momentum.
03-26-2024 08:43 AM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

(03-26-2024 08:43 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  The adage "win and they will come" is true to an extent, but it also matters who you beat. And we can't take untimely bad losses right as we're building fan momentum.

Yep we were undefeated at home until the random Louisiana Covid year game. And then all hell broke loose when we moved into Protective 03-drunk
03-26-2024 08:52 AM
C-Finder Offline
All American

(03-26-2024 08:43 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  The adage "win and they will come" is true to an extent, but it also matters who you beat. And we can't take untimely bad losses right as we're building fan momentum.

Beating a $EC team will be great, as long as is not a dynasty team like Georgia or a (soon to-be) vacated team like Tennessee
03-26-2024 10:08 AM
Marathon Blazer Offline
Heisman

(03-26-2024 08:41 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(03-25-2024 10:18 PM)demiveeman Wrote:  

People do live there. And if they're people who can afford those prices, all the more reason to market to them.

Bingo!
03-26-2024 01:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.