UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR: UMass to the MAC in 25-26.
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Toungue NBR: UMass to the MAC in 25-26.
I was a bit surprised by this, I kind of thought CUSA was a more likely destination. Personally, I thought UMass would be a good fit for the American, but I know I'm probably in the minority on that.
02-26-2024 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

RE: NBR: UMass to the MAC in 25-26.
This makes sense. So would adding UConn.

We should give them Temple and steal USM or Marshall.

I liked the trips to Hattiesburg during football season.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2024 02:54 PM by UABFAN23.)
02-26-2024 02:53 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...this could be a bit more "Blazer-related" than you think...

This shakes up the A-10, where VCU resides... might they, and a few others (St. Louis, Dayton) decide to jump into the AAC? THAT would make for a nice 'bolstering' of the bball side of things... hopefully Aresco is looking into that - seems like this talk was going on last year... thoughts? 04-rock
02-26-2024 05:55 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Lots of uncertainty but I can see VCU, Saint Louis and Dayton wanting to leave the A-10 for the American.
02-26-2024 06:27 PM
BlazerMatt Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For:
DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I think that unless it’s a slam dunk no-brainer addition, adding people just creates instability at this point. If the big break happens and it’s a matter of being lumped in with the rest of the poor to beg for television money scraps, then there are very few programs that would add enough revenue to make splitting our crumbs with them worthwhile. Would Gonzaga, as good as they have been for the past 20 years, going to make tv executives get in a bidding war for their media rights? Would VCU? I don’t know, but I doubt it.

I think when the big break happens, they aren’t going to say “jeeze, we’ve completely remade the college sports landscape, I’m so glad we decided to let the NCAA continue to take half our basketball championship money just so they can make us play long beach state in round 1 of the tournament and give them an equal share”. Naw, it’s going to be Kentucky vs Ohio State in round 1 and the poors can pound sand.
02-26-2024 06:36 PM
Advertisement

DuelingDragon Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 06:36 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  I think that unless it’s a slam dunk no-brainer addition, adding people just creates instability at this point. If the big break happens and it’s a matter of being lumped in with the rest of the poor to beg for television money scraps, then there are very few programs that would add enough revenue to make splitting our crumbs with them worthwhile. Would Gonzaga, as good as they have been for the past 20 years, going to make tv executives get in a bidding war for their media rights? Would VCU? I don’t know, but I doubt it.

I think when the big break happens, they aren’t going to say “jeeze, we’ve completely remade the college sports landscape, I’m so glad we decided to let the NCAA continue to take half our basketball championship money just so they can make us play long beach state in round 1 of the tournament and give them an equal share”. Naw, it’s going to be Kentucky vs Ohio State in round 1 and the poors can pound sand.

You are probably right about that. Other than schools that clearly needed a lifeline like UMass, I imagine most everyone else will want to stand pat to see what happens. Look before you leap....

Also, I sincerely believe some folks in the power 5 are about to get a rude awakening. The SEC and Big Ten just need to move 5-6 more brands and then they will tell everyone else, including whoever is left in the ACC and Big 12, to choke on the sand, not pound it. They are going to pull the leeches off their backs and go play pro football (and maybe pro basketball).

The rest of us, including those with their country club privileges revoked, will reorganize into something that more closely resembles college sports as we have known it, but without all the bloat or the pressure to keep up with unrealistic budgets.
02-26-2024 07:19 PM
MAN4UAB Offline
All American

It will certainly be interesting how this evolution of collegiate sports plays out. It appears to me that collegiate athletes will be eventually classified as employees of their respective universities. Will the various conferences adopt rules similar to the NFL/NBA with salary caps and so forth? Will the collegiate pro leagues get some sort of antitrust exemption similar to those pro leagues?
02-27-2024 08:01 AM
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I'd love to add a school like VCU, but I don't see them leaving unless there's further defections from the A10, like schools leaving for the Big East. The American, and really all of the G5, are in precarious positions right now. VCU can announce they're coming for 2025, and before that date even gets here it's possible the American can lose programs like Memphis, USF, and Tulane for example.

I think the best thing for most programs is to wait and see how everything plays out.
02-27-2024 10:25 AM
Marathon Blazer Online
Heisman

That leaves Notre Dame and UConn as the only independent FBS schools. I wonder if the MAC will offer a football-only membership to UConn to even out the teams.
02-27-2024 11:03 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

I think the MAC is in talks with Western Kentucky, who wanted to move earlier but MTSU blew up the deal.
02-27-2024 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.