Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

The next game
Bookmark and Share
Steve davis Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
The next game
I’d just come out firing on offense. I’d just play the best that we can. Let Jones set the tone by firing it at the beginning. Let’s see if we can get an early lead on the next team.
02-18-2024 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Steve davis Offline
1st String

RE: The next game
And if we do, let’s see if they can gain their confidence back.
02-18-2024 07:24 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

Look! Drive it to the rim like we did some, in the 2nd half of this game. What do you have to lose now by doing it. More fire power on offense might change this thing around?
02-18-2024 07:26 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

These teams have also learned playing with intensity early on, takes us out of our game. We have to match that somehow, and firing on offense will keep up with the pace for at least the 1st four minutes of the game. We might start to regain it back, and know what to do in each game after that. What do we have to lose now?
02-18-2024 07:31 PM
oldmangrizz Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: free love
I don't think it's a lack of confidence. For some reason, they just don't care, and I think that's much worse than no confidence.
02-18-2024 07:35 PM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe don’t sub 1:15 into the game
02-18-2024 07:36 PM
Advertisement

BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-18-2024 07:36 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Maybe don’t sub 1:15 into the game

Penny said he HAD to sub so soon because he could tell that certain players were not giving it their all... we were down 2-0
02-18-2024 07:55 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

(02-18-2024 07:35 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  I don't think it's a lack of confidence. For some reason, they just don't care, and I think that's much worse than no confidence.
Favid Jones said he does care. He wants to get to the NCAA tournament, and they still have that shot.
02-18-2024 07:57 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

(02-18-2024 07:57 PM)Steve davis Wrote:  
(02-18-2024 07:35 PM)oldmangrizz Wrote:  I don't think it's a lack of confidence. For some reason, they just don't care, and I think that's much worse than no confidence.
David Jones said he does care. He wants to get to the NCAA tournament, and they still have that shot.
02-18-2024 07:58 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

Just come out firing the next game, and that’s all you can do at this point. Fire it like the 1st 10 games.
02-18-2024 07:59 PM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-18-2024 07:59 PM)Steve davis Wrote:  Just come out firing the next game, and that’s all you can do at this point. Fire it like the 1st 10 games.

Scoring isn't the issue.

So just come out firing isn't going to change anything.

We are atrocious on defense.

The worst thing that happened to this team this year is us hitting 19 Three pointers against WSU.

We're shooting waaaaaaaaay too many 3's each game.
02-18-2024 09:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RCM1029 Away
Hall of Famer

We have no idea how to play defense.

That’s the problem.

Remove the nameplates from the back of the jersey.

Play basketball like Penn State plays football. No names on the jersey.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2024 09:33 PM by RCM1029.)
02-18-2024 09:32 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

(02-18-2024 09:14 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(02-18-2024 07:59 PM)Steve davis Wrote:  Just come out firing the next game, and that’s all you can do at this point. Fire it like the 1st 10 games.

Scoring isn't the issue.

So just come out firing isn't going to change anything.

We are atrocious on defense.

The worst thing that happened to this team this year is us hitting 19 Three pointers against WSU.

We're shooting waaaaaaaaay too many 3's each game.
Look we’ve got to shoot it, or just fire it up now. Find the way to the rim. We don’t have to shoot threes all day. There will be times to fire a three. I say fire the three at the beginning, and let’s see if Jones can hit it.
02-18-2024 10:06 PM
Steve davis Offline
1st String

(02-18-2024 09:32 PM)RCM1029 Wrote:  We have no idea how to play defense.

That’s the problem.

Remove the nameplates from the back of the jersey.

Play basketball like Penn State plays football. No names on the jersey.
Just go out there and try, and fire it on offense. Like I said, get to the rim on the next game, and see if we can score some. Just fire it, what do we have to lose now?
02-18-2024 10:08 PM
presskh Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2024 07:57 PM)Steve davis Wrote:  
Favid Jones said he does care. He wants to get to the NCAA tournament, and they still have that shot.

Jones does care. He did give it his all today. Problem is you have to play well as a team to win in D1, not just hero ball. That’s the coaching staff’s job.
02-18-2024 10:48 PM
Hoots Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-18-2024 07:55 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(02-18-2024 07:36 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  Maybe don’t sub 1:15 into the game

Penny said he HAD to sub so soon because he could tell that certain players were not giving it their all... we were down 2-0

Seeing that was crazy and really is a disturbing thing for him to say. Subbing at that point was nuts, and I don't buy his excuse. They cared until the second they got on the floor? Bull.

Maybe he needs to do a better job of reading the room.
02-19-2024 08:57 AM
Advertisement

bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
This season no longer matters. This team is done and no, there is no point in playing in the NIT (probably not getting invited anyway) when almost no players will be returning.

Penny isn't the answer and I will raise my hand and say that I thought he was.

At this point Memphis BB is just a middle of the pack AAC school and there is no fix. Sure, there may be the occasional NCAA tournament year but, get real, it's now been 14 and this year will make 15 years since Memphis saw the second weekend.

At this point any coach that comes into Memphis and does great things will simply get hired away and the odds are the next hire will take the program back down.

The game was over when Pastner was hired - it just wasn't obvious. It took a few seasons for the momentum to spin down but it has - and that is pretty much it.

The landscape of college sports has changed and although football is king it has spilled over into basketball and there is no going back.
02-19-2024 09:35 AM
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-19-2024 09:35 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  This season no longer matters. This team is done and no, there is no point in playing in the NIT (probably not getting invited anyway) when almost no players will be returning.

Penny isn't the answer and I will raise my hand and say that I thought he was.

At this point Memphis BB is just a middle of the pack AAC school and there is no fix. Sure, there may be the occasional NCAA tournament year but, get real, it's now been 14 and this year will make 15 years since Memphis saw the second weekend.

At this point any coach that comes into Memphis and does great things will simply get hired away and the odds are the next hire will take the program back down.

The game was over when Pastner was hired - it just wasn't obvious. It took a few seasons for the momentum to spin down but it has - and that is pretty much it.

The landscape of college sports has changed and although football is king it has spilled over into basketball and there is no going back.

I agree with all of this.
02-19-2024 09:41 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(02-18-2024 07:23 PM)Steve davis Wrote:  I’d just come out firing on offense. I’d just play the best that we can. Let Jones set the tone by firing it at the beginning. Let’s see if we can get an early lead on the next team.

What kind of drugs are you on? Cuz I want some
02-19-2024 10:15 AM
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem
Im not sure what you are talking about? What is it that we do now? I see Walton, JQ, Jones, Tomlin, the Hardaways etc jack up ill advised 3 after 3 after 3. They fire away. Only Jones is truly a good shooter from 3. I see us fire away on bad floaters, missed layups, 1 on 5 drives that get blocked or brick with no one in rebounding position.

A coaches job is to devise a scheme to get the kids good high percentage shots within an offense. So rolling the balls out and the kids just jacking shots and firing away is exactly what happened... but you see, a good coach with a good defensive plan will make those shots very difficult
02-19-2024 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.