UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NBR but semi-related. BJCC.
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
NBR but semi-related. BJCC.
The recent Alvin Ailey Dance Troupe show at the BJCC started half an hour late, ran about twenty-five minutes, then they took a bow and retired, ending the show over stage and backstage conditions. Apparently there were problems with the heat backstage.

These people were playing Kennedy Center a week ago and we can't even keep the heat on for them?

The following email went out late last night:

"The BJCC and The Alys Stephens Center apologize for the cancellation of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater performance this evening. The decision to cancel the performance was made due to specific temperature requirements mandated for the comfort and safety of the professional dancers, both on stage and in backstage areas.

While the BJCC's heating and air conditioning systems were operating normally, we found ourselves unable to meet the show's very specific temperature criteria, essential for the well-being and optimal performance of the Alvin Ailey dancers.

We understand the disappointment and inconvenience this cancellation may cause, and we sincerely apologize for any disruption to your plans. All ticket holders will receive automatic refunds processed directly to the original form of payment at the original point of purchase within 8-10 business days."

Mealymouthed weak statement, half blaming the dancers. They didn't come here *not* to dance in front of a full house.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2024 07:06 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
02-18-2024 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

C-Finder Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: NBR but semi-related. BJCC.
At least they getting their refunds
02-18-2024 11:16 PM
blazerblazer Offline
1st String

Something's fishy about that. Yes we had a cold snap, but other venues in New York, Chicago, etc, can accommodate them why can't the semi-newly renovated BJCC not?!

Bad look on BJCC and unfortunately makes Birmingham look bad as well considering that is one of the main large event venues in town.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 09:58 AM by blazerblazer.)
02-19-2024 09:57 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
It had gone down to 29 or so on Saturday night. Look at photos of the dance troupe in action - very lightly clad, barefoot. If all the cement backstage has chilled for several days and the heating is inadequate, I can absolutely see why they'd demand better treatment. It's not like plugging in space heaters was going to help if the central heat was poor.

BJCC management is not impressing me.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2024 11:10 AM by UAB Band Dad.)
02-19-2024 11:10 AM
Advertisement

BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
I'm guessing this was in in the concert hall (or theater), and not the arena. Were those parts of the complex renovated?
02-19-2024 01:05 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

(02-19-2024 01:05 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I'm guessing this was in in the concert hall (or theater), and not the arena. Were those parts of the complex renovated?

Concert Hall wasn't renovated, but it needs to be. I know the BJCC is building the new amphitheater, but hopefully there's a plan to renovate the Concert Hall and Exhibition Halls too.
02-19-2024 01:19 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
(02-19-2024 01:19 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  
(02-19-2024 01:05 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I'm guessing this was in in the concert hall (or theater), and not the arena. Were those parts of the complex renovated?

Concert Hall wasn't renovated, but it needs to be. I know the BJCC is building the new amphitheater, but hopefully there's a plan to renovate the Concert Hall and Exhibition Halls too.

Yeah, it's probably been 5 years since the last time I was in the Concert Hall, and it needed some work then.
02-19-2024 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.