Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Breaking News!!!!
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
Breaking News!!!!
The guy I paid $100 a seat to see twenty years ago at a JMU basketball event thinking highly of us again.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket...basketball
02-16-2024 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
RE: Breaking News!!!!
Okay I’ve scrolled through the article 5 times. Am I an idiot? I don’t see us ranked
02-16-2024 04:22 PM
Dukester Offline

Jay Bilas has had a history of dissing us even though we paid him 10k to be the guest speaker of our basketball event.

I think it was in the 1st or 2nd year of Keener.
02-16-2024 04:28 PM
dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU
Okay that makes me feel better…I mean not really, what a tool
02-16-2024 04:34 PM
Dukes84 Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
I attended that function and if my memory serves, he indicated that his wife was a JMU grad.

I see all of these bracket projections and very few have JMU listed as a bubble team. It's complete BS. Take a look at Joey Brackets (and it's changed a bit) and he's got 9 teams in from the Big 12, all of which were in the top 40 in Net last I checked. Of course, the Big 12 is the no. 1 rated conference because it has the highest aggregate non-conference winning percentage. If you then look at the individual teams and many of them have nearly all of their wins at home. Joey Brackets in the two questions that I saw posed to him last week beams in saying that the A-10 is the no. 8 conference and that it deserves two teams in. He says he doesn't use the eye test, but VCU looks good versus Dayton. That game ended in a score of something like 49-47 (and neither team looked good) and a few days later he puts in Richmond as the second team in from the A-10 until it loses its next game (and he now has only one in).

For kicks of late, I've watched a few minutes of college games outside of JMU. At least two prominent teams ahead of JMU in the Net that I've seen are completely unimpressive via the eye test. That would be Colorado and Cincinnati. Colorado lost by 47 points at Arizona and then played them again at home and lost by 20. Cincinnati, meanwhile, looks putrid on offense and had to go to overtime to beat Howard on the road. Another team shown in the mix is St. John's. While a quality team, it has lost 7 of its last 9 games. Good enough to be competitive but lose most times. I also watched a few minutes of Mason vs. GW and both teams look pretty bad. Lastly, saw a bit of Samford, also 23-3, and it looks like a team that JMU would steamroll.

I'll get off my high horse, but this JMU team is getting the shaft. And I agree with Mark Byington in that the A-10 would never agree to a conference matchup versus the SB. The A10 has learned to game the system. Now we can see why JMU can't get any quality home games.
02-16-2024 05:05 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
What's even better? He doesn't even have a SunBelt team included....
02-16-2024 05:46 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

JMU is getting the shaft because their schedule is woefully weak. You have to beat good teams to get respect. The committee has been consistent over the years in emphasizing strength of schedule as a key criteria for at-large selection.

The Dukes beat Michigan State on the road and that was awesome.
That’s it.
Beating MEAC teams and the downtrodden Sun Belt simply doesn’t move the needle no matter what the score is.

Byington has no misperceptions and fully understands that the Dukes must win the Sun Belt tourney to go dancing.
02-16-2024 08:50 PM
Navyduke 07 Offline
Special Teams

Can we not do it with the headline topics? This isn’t f’in breaking news. FFS.

We all hate Bilas he’s a BoD just like Herbstreit.
02-16-2024 10:14 PM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

Where is the Attorney General when we need them.03-hissyfit
02-16-2024 10:43 PM
Advertisement

PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(02-16-2024 05:05 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  I attended that function and if my memory serves, he indicated that his wife was a JMU grad.

I see all of these bracket projections and very few have JMU listed as a bubble team. It's complete BS. Take a look at Joey Brackets (and it's changed a bit) and he's got 9 teams in from the Big 12, all of which were in the top 40 in Net last I checked. Of course, the Big 12 is the no. 1 rated conference because it has the highest aggregate non-conference winning percentage. If you then look at the individual teams and many of them have nearly all of their wins at home. Joey Brackets in the two questions that I saw posed to him last week beams in saying that the A-10 is the no. 8 conference and that it deserves two teams in. He says he doesn't use the eye test, but VCU looks good versus Dayton. That game ended in a score of something like 49-47 (and neither team looked good) and a few days later he puts in Richmond as the second team in from the A-10 until it loses its next game (and he now has only one in).

For kicks of late, I've watched a few minutes of college games outside of JMU. At least two prominent teams ahead of JMU in the Net that I've seen are completely unimpressive via the eye test. That would be Colorado and Cincinnati. Colorado lost by 47 points at Arizona and then played them again at home and lost by 20. Cincinnati, meanwhile, looks putrid on offense and had to go to overtime to beat Howard on the road. Another team shown in the mix is St. John's. While a quality team, it has lost 7 of its last 9 games. Good enough to be competitive but lose most times. I also watched a few minutes of Mason vs. GW and both teams look pretty bad. Lastly, saw a bit of Samford, also 23-3, and it looks like a team that JMU would steamroll.

I'll get off my high horse, but this JMU team is getting the shaft. And I agree with Mark Byington in that the A-10 would never agree to a conference matchup versus the SB. The A10 has learned to game the system. Now we can see why JMU can't get any quality home games.

JMU's path to the Dance is either auto-bid, or, in the same vein as MLB Hall of Famers like Larry Walker and Edgar Martinez, as a compiler. Season ends now, no chance. But running the table and slowly inching up the net rankings into the low 40s, maybe high 30s is a real possibility. If the Dukes run the table in the regular season, which they should, then I think that list of bubble teams. But I'm not surprised that it's not happening before.
02-17-2024 10:18 AM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

30 wins, conference champion, some melt-down in the Mountain West. MichSt, Southern Ill, Akron, Radford all get hot and make the NCAA. AppSt and USM win enough, to show strong - but still don't take the Conf Championship.

In short - no shot, unless we win our conference tournament. With our SOS, there is no room for 4 Sun Belt losses to get an At Large.
02-17-2024 12:33 PM
boozeNammo Offline
Special Teams

Funny to think that a few years ago, a 30 win CAA slate would almost but guarantee you a ticket and a mid level seed. SunBelt BB is dreadful.
02-17-2024 12:41 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Losing to USM.... that was dreadful
02-17-2024 12:56 PM
Advertisement

JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

A random comparison.

Indiana St vs. JMU.

Wins - assume we both win out and lose in the conference final (30)
Conference losses - 3 for IndSt, 4 for JMU
Top - 25 wins - 1 for JMU, none for IndSt.
Quad 1/2 record - IndSt 1/4, 4/0 to JMU 1/0, 1/1
Non-conf loss - none for JMU, MichSt and Alabama on their home floors
Net - 28 IndSt, 52 JMU
SoS - I don't even want to look
Top 25 - both likely peak at ranked 23, with IndSt now ranked there.

No doubt, IndSt. gets the nod in this comparison (with noted assumptions). So I think we better be rooting for them to win the tourney. A comparison to Drake for instance might be a little more favorable.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2024 03:22 PM by JMU_Rocks!.)
02-17-2024 03:21 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(02-17-2024 03:21 PM)JMU_Rocks! Wrote:  A random comparison.

Indiana St vs. JMU.

Wins - assume we both win out and lose in the conference final (30)
Conference losses - 3 for IndSt, 4 for JMU
Top - 25 wins - 1 for JMU, none for IndSt.
Quad 1/2 record - IndSt 1/4, 4/0 to JMU 1/0, 1/1
Non-conf loss - none for JMU, MichSt and Alabama on their home floors
Net - 28 IndSt, 52 JMU
SoS - I don't even want to look
Top 25 - both likely peak at ranked 23, with IndSt now ranked there.

No doubt, IndSt. gets the nod in this comparison (with noted assumptions). So I think we better be rooting for them to win the tourney. A comparison to Drake for instance might be a little more favorable.

Even more simply -
This program has been _BAD_ for 20 years. Nobody is going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and the selection committee may say they make their selections dispassionately, but that's a "have a bridge to sell you" line.

If NDSU loses a game to SDSU, well, it's NDSU, they'll still get the #2 seed and play in Fargo the whole way. But Elon has to earn not just its slot, but earn the reputation that gets them there so that "all else equal", they're considered as worth considering.

So we'll have to win the Sun Belt tournament. And be ready to get seeded terribly - nobody outside of Rockingham County thinks JMU is any good. It took us 20 years to get this bad, and it's going to take a while to win enough to be taken seriously and get at-large consideration.
02-17-2024 06:49 PM
boozeNammo Offline
Special Teams

^truth
02-17-2024 07:03 PM
Navyduke 07 Offline
Special Teams

Can we please create an at large bubble thread?

I’m done with the breaking news BS
02-17-2024 09:19 PM
JMUDukes1750 Online
Special Teams

Indiana St lost to Southern Illinois....who we beat earlier in the year
02-17-2024 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.