Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Chandler & Jonathan
Bookmark and Share
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
Chandler & Jonathan
Taking a quick look at both the Lawson kids minutes & stats at Arkansas & Creighton & it’s apparent Penny played both of those guys more than their new coaches are willing. Chandler’s minutes are down 25% from last year & Jonathan went from 16 minutes per game at Memphis to 4 at Creighton... dude has only scored 3 points since January 1.

Perhaps playing so many guys, some of whom would not get appreciable minutes at a top 25 school, does impact the outcome of games.
02-15-2024 09:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: Chandler & Jonathan
I’m just glad that family is finally gone from here. They basically tried to sabotage the program back in the day. I never was a fan of Tubby but imo he did the right thing by not making Keelon a true assistant
02-15-2024 10:02 AM
Tiger Joe Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Mayhem
(02-15-2024 10:02 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  I’m just glad that family is finally gone from here. They basically tried to sabotage the program back in the day. I never was a fan of Tubby but imo he did the right thing by not making Keelon a true assistant

This is the most inaccurate and ridiculous statement I've read in a while. They were high school state champions and prominent D1 prospects. The father was hired by the university under an agreement (contract). How it all shook out from there with Tubby should have been handled differently by the university (not Keelon). UM should have told Tubby up front about the Keelon agreement and let Tubby make a decision on if he wanted the job under those circumstances. Keelon never bad-mouthed the university or Tubby. He even sent his other kids to join the Tigers. If you're going to slander a family publicly, can you give some details of how they tried to sabotage the program?
02-15-2024 10:36 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2024 10:36 AM)Tiger Joe Wrote:  
(02-15-2024 10:02 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  I’m just glad that family is finally gone from here. They basically tried to sabotage the program back in the day. I never was a fan of Tubby but imo he did the right thing by not making Keelon a true assistant

This is the most inaccurate and ridiculous statement I've read in a while. They were high school state champions and prominent D1 prospects. The father was hired by the university under an agreement (contract). How it all shook out from there with Tubby should have been handled differently by the university (not Keelon). UM should have told Tubby up front about the Keelon agreement and let Tubby make a decision on if he wanted the job under those circumstances. Keelon never bad-mouthed the university or Tubby. He even sent his other kids to join the Tigers. If you're going to slander a family publicly, can you give some details of how they tried to sabotage the program?

You left out the part where he got a 20K raise the year Tubby was hired. And if he was so great how come NOBODY else hired him? Not Kansas not even Tulane. And he’s talked out of both sides of his mouth the entire time. He really only had one of his sons that lived up to his ranking and that was Dedric. Uncle Chuck is that you?

And oh yeah he basically came out and said that anyone that hired him would get his sons and Pastner was the only one that fell for it. And he was gone within a year. Nice move Josh lol
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024 10:46 AM by Eagleonpar.)
02-15-2024 10:45 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(02-15-2024 09:57 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Taking a quick look at both the Lawson kids minutes & stats at Arkansas & Creighton & it’s apparent Penny played both of those guys more than their new coaches are willing. Chandler’s minutes are down 25% from last year & Jonathan went from 16 minutes per game at Memphis to 4 at Creighton... dude has only scored 3 points since January 1.

Perhaps playing so many guys, some of whom would not get appreciable minutes at a top 25 school, does impact the outcome of games.

Penny has a blind spot to this flaw in his coaching. It is sad to see him stick with this to the teams detriment.
02-15-2024 10:47 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Keelon ain't the only one in that family. Even so, he did throw shade from time to time on his regular radio appearances.
But momma and KJ? They did absolutely disparage the university and Tubby.
"Sabotage" might be a bit strong though.
02-15-2024 11:04 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-15-2024 09:57 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  Taking a quick look at both the Lawson kids minutes & stats at Arkansas & Creighton & it’s apparent Penny played both of those guys more than their new coaches are willing. Chandler’s minutes are down 25% from last year & Jonathan went from 16 minutes per game at Memphis to 4 at Creighton... dude has only scored 3 points since January 1.

And to think some people here tried to tell us C & J would shine in new roles at programs that would outperform Memphis. I guess those people were 25% right as Creighton currently is higher ranked.
02-15-2024 11:07 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

Where’s the WHO? Guy when you need him? NTR
02-15-2024 11:09 AM
TheJesBro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM

Just a reminder of our frontcourt depth last year:

Williams > Dandridge (only good for 15-18 mins) > Kao, C Lawson

Penny was able to get a lot done with C Lawson considering he didn't have much choice.

On another note, does anybody know where Kao is this year? I tried to find stats but can't find him anywhere.
02-15-2024 12:53 PM
HiTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: UoM
It's surprising to see how this turned out. Johnathon was supposed to be best one of the bunch and turned out like that.
02-15-2024 01:01 PM
MSU87 Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-15-2024 12:53 PM)TheJesBro Wrote:  On another note, does anybody know where Kao is this year? I tried to find stats but can't find him anywhere.

He was a true senior. I suppose he had a Covid year of eligibility remaining, but I doubt anyone needed his services.
02-15-2024 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Marc Mensa Offline

(02-15-2024 12:53 PM)TheJesBro Wrote:  

Penny was able to get a lot done with C Lawson considering he didn't have much choice.

On another note, does anybody know where Kao is this year? I tried to find stats but can't find him anywhere.

& Arkansas does? They are one of the worst rebounding teams in the SEC & are terrible defensively. Looking at the stats, Arkansas is getting the same Chandler Lawson Memphis got. They just are giving him fewer minutes.
02-15-2024 01:35 PM
Marc Mensa Offline

(02-15-2024 11:04 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Keelon ain't the only one in that family. Even so, he did throw shade from time to time on his regular radio appearances.
But momma and KJ? They did absolutely disparage the university and Tubby.
"Sabotage" might be a bit strong though.

I seem to remember Keelon on a radio show taking shots at the program.
The school paid him everything he was promised. Tubby didn’t want him as a recruiting assistant, which was his prerogative. The bottom line is local recruiting gurus missed on every one of the Lawson kids, except Dedric. They are the ones who played up the Tubby v Keelon nonsense and gave a disgruntled parent way too much radio time to air his grievances.
02-15-2024 01:50 PM
TheJesBro Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UofM
(02-15-2024 01:35 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

& Arkansas does? They are one of the worst rebounding teams in the SEC & are terrible defensively. Looking at the stats, Arkansas is getting the same Chandler Lawson Memphis got. They just are giving him fewer minutes.

Arkansas is 12-12 with an RPI of 120. 24 games into last year Memphis was 18-6 and probably around a 50 RPI... since the original post was looking at the outcome of games.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024 01:56 PM by TheJesBro.)
02-15-2024 01:55 PM
Marc Mensa Offline

(02-15-2024 01:55 PM)TheJesBro Wrote:  
(02-15-2024 01:35 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

Arkansas is 12-12 with an RPI of 120. 24 games into last year Memphis was 18-6 and probably around a 50 RPI... since the original post was looking at the outcome of games.

Arkansas does not have Kendric Davis or DeAndre Williams.

The original post was pointing out that Penny gives mediocre guys too time floor time.
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2024 02:03 PM by Marc Mensa.)
02-15-2024 02:01 PM
presskh Offline
Heisman

Maybe my memory is foggy but I thought Chandler played pretty well last year.
02-15-2024 02:44 PM
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I always felt that Penney really only played Jonathan off the bench to get a 3-point shooting boost. If JL wasn't hitting, then he came out pretty quick. And Penny does the exact same thing with Ashton this year.
02-15-2024 03:11 PM
Marc Mensa Offline

(02-15-2024 03:11 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  I always felt that Penney really only played Jonathan off the bench to get a 3-point shooting boost. If JL wasn't hitting, then he came out pretty quick. And Penny does the exact same thing with Ashton this year.

Jonathan averaged 16 minutes per game & averaged 3 points per game.
02-15-2024 03:29 PM
aardWolf Online
Heisman

Kao made the Mavs summer roster last year.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/s...346446007/

Two games played, combined total of 8.1 minutes. 0 points, 1 fga, 1 3pa, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls.
https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Kao...ary/143797
02-15-2024 04:07 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

And players at Memphis still will leave at the end of the season... no matter what you do, you will never keep players satisfied.. Penny will never learn.
02-15-2024 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.