UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Eric Gaines Appreciation
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
Eric Gaines Appreciation
Since I have been very hard on EG, deservedly so a lot of the time IMO (but that's another story), I decided to shine a spotlight on his recent play..

In the 5 games since the debacle at Charlotte where he shot 4-13 and scored 10 points, EG has been averaging:

13.8 PPG
47.9% shooting overall
42.3% from three
66.7% from the line
4 rebounds per game
6.8 assists per game
1.2 blocks per game
1.8 steals per game
2.8 turnovers per game.
2.43 A:T ratio

These stats are including a 3-10 and 0-5 performance from the field and from three, respectively, against SMU.

He's been very good during our recent winning streak, Especially considering his three point percentage had dropped to SUB-20% on the season recently. I've always said, as have others, if he would simply cut down on the "dumb stuff," he could be a really good player. He is a the type of player that didn't have to do anything new, or better, on the court necessarily, just cut out the head scratching craziness. He's obviously done that lately. He has been composed, limited his shot attempts, mostly taken good shots, played under control, been decisive, and has actually looked like a point guard. Hats off to EG. I can't remember the last time he's jumped in the air with no idea what to do with the ball. We are a different team when he is playing like this.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2024 03:43 PM by The Answer UAB.)
02-14-2024 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
RE: Eric Gaines Appreciation
(02-14-2024 03:21 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  Since I have been very hard on EG, deservedly so a lot of the time IMO (but that's another story), I decided to shine a spotlight on his recent play..

In the 5 games since the debacle at Charlotte where he shot 4-13 and scored 10 points, EG has been averaging:

13.8 PPG
47.9% shooting overall
42.3% from three
66.7% from the line
4 rebounds per game
6.8 assists per game
1.2 blocks per game
1.8 steals per game
2.8 turnovers per game.
2.43 A:T ratio

These stats are including a 3-10 and 0-5 performance from the field and from three, respectively, against SMU.

He's been very good during our recent winning streak, Especially considering his three point percentage had dropped to SUB-20% on the season recently. I've always said, as have others, if he would simply cut down on the "dumb stuff," he would be a really good player. He is a the type of player that didn't have to do anything better on the court necessarily, just cut out the head scratching craziness. He's obviously done that lately. He has been composed, limited his shot attempts, mostly taken good shots, played under control, and has actually looked like a point guard. Hats off to EG. We are a different team when he is playing like this.

Agree 100 percent. He has been great recently.
02-14-2024 03:26 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

He's shooting 56.25% from three if you take out the 0/5 game against SMU
02-14-2024 03:44 PM
randy22263 Offline
1st String

I Root For: uab
(02-14-2024 03:44 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  He's shooting 56.25% from three if you take out the 0/5 game against SMU

The thing is, Gaines has a decent looking shot. I'd be curious how often he has to shoot a 3 with time running down on shot clock due to no one coming for the ball. Not saying he doesn't shoot some ill advised shots at times but something to consider. Most of the time he has to create his own shot. Not to mention his ball handling duties and defense. We ask him to do a lot.
02-14-2024 04:06 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2024 04:06 PM)randy22263 Wrote:  
(02-14-2024 03:44 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  He's shooting 56.25% from three if you take out the 0/5 game against SMU

The thing is, Gaines has a decent looking shot. I'd be curious how often he has to shoot a 3 with time running down on shot clock due to no one coming for the ball. Not saying he doesn't shoot some ill advised shots at times but something to consider. Most of the time he has to create his own shot. Not to mention his ball handling duties and defense. We ask him to do a lot.

Yeah the only thing kind of weird about his set shot is that he doesn't jump very much, and shoots it almost like he's taking a free throw.
02-14-2024 04:30 PM
Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
I feel he’s been pretty good all year, but the past month or so, it seems he’s taken that final step of not taking ill advised shots (or at least not nearly as many). If you had told me in November EG won’t be back for 24-25, my response probably would’ve been, “meh”. But now, I really would hate to lose him. His basketball IQ, and play as a result, has increased a ton this year. Kudos to AK, I’m sure he had something to do with that.
02-14-2024 04:38 PM
Advertisement

LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
Agreed…but I’ll add that at Tulsa, I can think of a couple REALLY tough fadeaway shots fairly early in the shot clock. He looked like an all star, bc they went in. But I thought…man, had that clanked out, it looks like a moronic shot

Things sure look better when shots are falling
02-14-2024 04:40 PM
Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
(02-14-2024 04:40 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  Agreed…but I’ll add that at Tulsa, I can think of a couple REALLY tough fadeaway shots fairly early in the shot clock. He looked like an all star, bc they went in. But I thought…man, had that clanked out, it looks like a moronic shot

Things sure look better when shots are falling

He definitely took a couple “what’s he thinking?” type shots against Tulsa, but I wasn’t too upset, cause I feel like the rest of the guards weren’t able to hit water if they fell out of a boat that game.
02-14-2024 04:44 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up

Not often. This team isn’t typically struggling to get any shot off before the clock expires. I’m not saying it never happened, but most of his ill advised shots were poor decisions rather than desperation.
02-14-2024 05:17 PM
blazers9911 Online
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(02-14-2024 04:38 PM)Frank Grimes Wrote:  I feel he’s been pretty good all year, but the past month or so, it seems he’s taken that final step of not taking ill advised shots (or at least not nearly as many). If you had told me in November EG won’t be back for 24-25, my response probably would’ve been, “meh”. But now, I really would hate to lose him. His basketball IQ, and play as a result, has increased a ton this year. Kudos to AK, I’m sure he had something to do with that.

Agreed. But I really don’t see it as a possibility at this point. EG doesn’t love UAB the way Jelly and Jemison did/do, and he isn’t getting any younger with his pro aspirations. I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see any world where he comes back now.
02-14-2024 05:19 PM
notnow Offline
1st String

After winning the national championship in April he will likely have accomplished everything he came to do at UAB. But back to back would be really cool!
02-14-2024 05:45 PM
Advertisement

THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

just looked it up...

EG is currently 38th in assists with 5.3 avg.

#1 is a guard at Minn who averages 7.6/game. HOLY F
02-14-2024 05:50 PM
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

Keep trending upward. Keep head on straight. Gonna need him down the stretch.

Would like to see us use the 2-2-1 full court trap more often than we have recently.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2024 06:24 PM by UABFAN23.)
02-14-2024 06:23 PM
randy22263 Offline
1st String

(02-14-2024 05:19 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(02-14-2024 04:38 PM)Frank Grimes Wrote:  I feel he’s been pretty good all year, but the past month or so, it seems he’s taken that final step of not taking ill advised shots (or at least not nearly as many). If you had told me in November EG won’t be back for 24-25, my response probably would’ve been, “meh”. But now, I really would hate to lose him. His basketball IQ, and play as a result, has increased a ton this year. Kudos to AK, I’m sure he had something to do with that.

Agreed. But I really don’t see it as a possibility at this point. EG doesn’t love UAB the way Jelly and Jemison did/do, and he isn’t getting any younger with his pro aspirations. I hope I’m wrong, but I just can’t see any world where he comes back now.

He needs 20 pounds on him to have any pro aspirations. He needs another year of college ball. I agree he probably leaves but he isn't ready for pro ball. Certainly not the NBA.
02-15-2024 11:00 AM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

EG has a lot of things about him that scouts like. But we all know the holes in his game and they do too. The book on EG reads like a BT thread.

He needs another couple of years of development for sure, especially to put on weight and strength. He's a good ball hawk on defense in the passing lanes but can't keep any physical guard out of the lane. That's killer for his chances to stick at the the next level. Whether that body work is another year in college, in a minor league or a combination of the two, a think there will be NBA teams keeping an eye on him. But they're going to want to see the evidence of the work.
02-15-2024 05:48 PM
Blazing Saddles Offline
All American

Eric Gaines Appreciation
The pass Gaines made to Yax in the lane for the dunk to tie North Texas was an absolute chef’s kiss.
02-15-2024 05:55 PM
Advertisement

randy22263 Offline
1st String

I think we would all agree that despite his flaws, his decision making and maturity are night and day compared to last season. Especially here lately. [/align]
02-15-2024 06:08 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(02-14-2024 05:17 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Not often. This team isn’t typically struggling to get any shot off before the clock expires. I’m not saying it never happened, but most of his ill advised shots were poor decisions rather than desperation.

That's why his game lately is praiseworthy, he's made progress. As often as I've said harsh things about EG, he's played better and deserves his props. As everyone else has said, when he limits the WTF he's a solid player.
02-16-2024 03:09 PM
Rell Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama-Birmingham

Rhythm shooter
02-16-2024 03:26 PM
hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

My thoughts exactly. If we get this version of EG back next year (plus another offseason of getting better) that would be really beneficial.
02-16-2024 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.