Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Major Credit Card Companies to Adopt Code to Track Firearms, Ammo Purchases, Per CA L
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Major Credit Card Companies to Adopt Code to Track Firearms, Ammo Purchases, Per CA L
Quote:American Express, Visa, and Mastercard have announced they will comply with a California law that requires the companies to begin using a merchant code specific to firearms and ammunition retailers.

Major credit card companies are moving to make a merchant code available for firearm and ammunition retailers in order to comply with a new California law that will allow banks to potentially track suspicious gun purchases and report them to law enforcement, CBS News has learned.

Retailers are assigned merchant codes based on the types of goods they sell, and the codes allow banks and credit card companies to detect purchase patterns. Currently gun shops are lumped in with other types of retailers, such as sporting goods stores.

Mastercard, Visa and American Express initially agreed to implement a standalone code for firearm sellers, but later paused their work on it after receiving blowback from Second Amendment advocates concerned tracking gun purchases would infringe on the rights of legal gun owners.

Like so many anti-Second Amendment laws, this one was passed by a legislature, most of whose members know nothing about firearms and have no idea as to the root causes of the criminal use of firearms and mass shootings; they are driven by the perceived need to "do something," which manifests with the decision, "This is something — let's do this!"

Gun control activists hope the code, approved by an international organization in 2022, can be used as a tool to help identify suspect purchases and, consequently, stop gun crime, including mass shootings. Proponents say a code for firearms merchants would allow banks and credit unions to alert law enforcement of potentially suspicious purchasing patterns in the same way they already flag other types of transactions, such as those that suggest identity theft or terrorist financing.

While a merchant code for standalone firearm and ammunition sellers would yield data that shows a transaction was made at a gun store, the credit card companies say the code would not provide details about the customer or insight into individual items that were purchased.

In other words, someone could walk into Cabela's, buy a thousand dollars worth of camouflage shirts and trousers, and be flagged as suspicious even though they never walked past the gun racks. The only way this could have any effect is if it tracked individual purchases, which would be an outright violation of the Fourth

The very fact that Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) is supporting the implementation of this code system nationwide is evidence enough that it's a bad idea. The drafters of the California law, like Senator Warren, don't seem to understand that massive outdoor retailers like Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse and Scheel's exist, much less that they would have to be considered "gun stores" for this legislation to have any real meaning; and that a family doing non-gun Christmas shopping at any of those stores would likely trigger some investigation under this law — said investigation being, more than likely, shaky under the Fourth Amendment.

So again, from California, a law with no substance — a "tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Link
02-13-2024 07:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Major Credit Card Companies to Adopt Code to Track Firearms, Ammo Purchases, Per CA L
My dealer, KYGUNCO, gives a discount for using cash. (It’s actually an up charge for using plastic but I call it a cash discount) That’s handy.

I’ve bought all my weapons here. https://www.kygunco.com/
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 07:32 PM by CardinalJim.)
02-13-2024 07:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
RE: Major Credit Card Companies to Adopt Code to Track Firearms, Ammo Purchases, Per CA L
"While a merchant code for standalone firearm and ammunition sellers would yield data that shows a transaction was made at a gun store, the credit card companies say the code would not provide details about the customer or insight into individual items that were purchased".

IF that's true then wtf is this even about. If they aren't gathering information that could identify an individual then what's the freakin point?? Oh yeah, it's Commifornia and they are lying.
02-14-2024 08:17 AM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
RE: Major Credit Card Companies to Adopt Code to Track Firearms, Ammo Purchases, Per CA L
(02-13-2024 07:28 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  My dealer, KYGUNCO, gives a discount for using cash. (It’s actually an up charge for using plastic but I call it a cash discount) That’s handy.

I’ve bought all my weapons here. https://www.kygunco.com/

I've used Bud's for about 10 years. Any difference?
02-14-2024 08:47 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(02-14-2024 08:17 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  "While a merchant code for standalone firearm and ammunition sellers would yield data that shows a transaction was made at a gun store, the credit card companies say the code would not provide details about the customer or insight into individual items that were purchased".

IF that's true then wtf is this even about. If they aren't gathering information that could identify an individual then what's the freakin point?? Oh yeah, it's Commifornia and they are lying.

All they really care about is making a list of people who purchase from stores that sell fireams, so they can use that against them later, if possible.
02-14-2024 08:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.