Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Missouri State to CUSA discussion
Bookmark and Share
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
This certainly deserves it's own thread...

I've been on the BEARS "bandwagon" for quite a while.

Two points:

1.) Source (90% reliable) tells me that Missouri St. has already applied for membership with CUSA in the past few weeks.

2.) A very high CUSA representative stated at a public function (almost two years ago) that he had been "working on" a "school" (and their president) for a long time. It was inferred IMO--that this was Missouri State--but that they were resistant to the idea--at the time.
Since then a lot of things have changed.

Many "feel" that the CURRENT president wants to get this done before he retires (this part may or may not be accurate).

Does this guarantee that they become a member? NO it Does Not.

CUSA could choose UMASS instead or Missouri St. could change their mind at the last second(DOUBTFUL). Or UMASS could say NO.

Most likely all this will be settled BEFORE the end of April.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 03:17 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
02-13-2024 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

RE: Missouri State to CUSA discussion
(02-13-2024 03:05 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  This certainly deserves it's own thread...

Two points:

1.) Source (90% reliable) tells me that Missouri St. has already applied for membership with CUSA in the past few weeks.

2.) A very high CUSA representative stated at a public function (almost two years ago) that he had been "working on" a "school" (and their president) for a long time. It was inferred IMO--that this was Missouri State--but that they were resistant to the idea--at the time.

Many "feel" that the CURRENT president wants to get this done before he retires (this part may or may no be accurate).

CUSA could choose UMASS instead or Missouri St. could change their mind at the last second(DOUBTFUL).

I said back in Summer that I would be good with UMass or Missouri State. If UMass isn't ready to commit, by all means invite the Bears if getting to 12 is a must for media purposes. Would only be the 2nd FBS program in the state of Missouri. Cares about basketball, even if recent NCAA tournament success isn't there (can't cast stones in that house). Good other sports as well. Has a facility plan. Football hasn't been playoff worthy in FCS, but usually fringe Top 25.

After that, I think it should take a real slam dunk to go for #13 and #14. I don't think any candidate fits that description today, and most certainly there aren't two candidates worth expanding to 14.
02-13-2024 03:17 PM
WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(02-13-2024 03:17 PM)freshtop Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 03:05 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  This certainly deserves it's own thread...

Two points:

Many "feel" that the CURRENT president wants to get this done before he retires (this part may or may no be accurate).

CUSA could choose UMASS instead or Missouri St. could change their mind at the last second(DOUBTFUL).

I said back in Summer that I would be good with UMass or Missouri State. If UMass isn't ready to commit, by all means invite the Bears if getting to 12 is a must for media purposes. Would only be the 2nd FBS program in the state of Missouri. Cares about basketball, even if recent NCAA tournament success isn't there (can't cast stones in that house). Good other sports as well. Has a facility plan. Football hasn't been playoff worthy in FCS, but usually fringe Top 25.

After that, I think it should take a real slam dunk to go for #13 and #14. I don't think any candidate fits that description today, and most certainly there aren't two candidates worth expanding to 14.

Just speculating here but if both UMass and MoSt are interested and we are interested, that gets us to 13. We'd almost certainly look at going 14 then and who do we take...EKU or TarlySt? I still say EKU before TarlySt.

Oh..I'll say it again tho...I wanted to stay at 10 but Delaware was hard to pass up. I'd rather not go passed 12 if we have to add another. 14 is a huge NO for me but I don't make the decisions.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 03:35 PM by WKUApollo.)
02-13-2024 03:23 PM
freshtop Offline
All American

(02-13-2024 03:23 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 03:17 PM)freshtop Wrote:  

Two points:

Just speculating here but if both UMass and MoSt are interested and we are interested, that gets us to 13. We'd almost certainly look at going 14 then and who do we take...EKU or TarlySt? I still say EKU before TarlySt.

Oh..I'll say it again tho...I wanted to stay at 10 but Delaware was hard to pass up. I'd rather not go passed 12 if we have to add another. 14 is a huge NO for me but I don't make the decisions.

IF the conference deems 14 a must have (seems like more mouths than we have money to feed to me) then I would vote for EKU over Tarleton. I don’t know how the rest of the conference would vote (or how our own AD/Pres would).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-13-2024 03:45 PM
R40 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Prairie View A&M
You will know what is happening when the announcement comes later. If it is UMass, they will likely not expand in the immediate future. If it is Tarleton, they are likely going to 14 and Missouri State would be the likely add. That is the way it looks like it is playing out.
02-13-2024 03:50 PM
R40 Offline
Banned

The biggest question with the conference is what their ultimate plan is. It is possible Tarleton has been part of the plan all along and that included Missouri State. They were just in wait and see mode. Tarleton jumped up in the computer ratings which they pay close attention to so they may be ready to add them now. Delaware came unexpectedly because they were approached by Delaware so then that opened up the possibility of UMass as well.

So could be all of these are coming on board. You don't want to add them all at the same time. So UMass may just allow Tarleton to go first.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 04:03 PM by R40.)
02-13-2024 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
(02-13-2024 04:02 PM)R40 Wrote:  The biggest question with the conference is what their ultimate plan is. It is possible Tarleton has been part of the plan all along and that included Missouri State. They were just in wait and see mode. Tarleton jumped up in the computer ratings which they pay close attention to so they may be ready to add them now. Delaware came unexpectedly because they were approached by Delaware so then that opened up the possibility of UMass as well.

So could be all of these are coming on board. You don't want to add them all at the same time. So UMass may just allow Tarleton to go first.

This maybe a pretty fair take on things. Believe UMass would have went with Delaware to the MAC or CUSA. Can see the possibility UMass waiting till 2026 or could be ready in the spring. It is not a good situation presently to have fans split over the A10 and football needing a home. Another year of the A10 being a single bid conference would help the move.
02-13-2024 04:40 PM
R40 Offline
Banned

(02-13-2024 04:40 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 04:02 PM)R40 Wrote:  The biggest question with the conference is what their ultimate plan is. It is possible Tarleton has been part of the plan all along and that included Missouri State. They were just in wait and see mode. Tarleton jumped up in the computer ratings which they pay close attention to so they may be ready to add them now. Delaware came unexpectedly because they were approached by Delaware so then that opened up the possibility of UMass as well.

This maybe a pretty fair take on things. Believe UMass would have went with Delaware to the MAC or CUSA. Can see the possibility UMass waiting till 2026 or could be ready in the spring. It is not a good situation presently to have fans split over the A10 and football needing a home. Another year of the A10 being a single bid conference would help the move.

Yes. I think CUSA basically has an open door policy for UMass. They can come when they are ready. They still have a lot of fund raising to do and attractive schedules in place.

So this kind of maybe pushes up your timetable for Tarleton. You knew you were going to add them but now you are adding two more so you have a bit of a logjam. They are ready so you let them start ramping up and redshirting to hit the ground running. Maybe you would have waited a couple of more years but your schedule is now different.
02-13-2024 04:57 PM
Baldspot Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
Not sure I like the idea of an outgoing president making a decision of this magnitude right before he leaves. Then again, this might scare off any candidate who simply wants to be a caretaker of their status quo.
02-13-2024 07:37 PM
R40 Offline
Banned

Missouri State is not going to be in a position to move up for a couple of years. They don't have a decision to make.
02-13-2024 08:11 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Sam Houston State
Some other important statistics on MO State, and where they’d fit in with CUSA

USN Ranking: 342 (7th in CUSA)
Annual Research: $48M (5th in CUSA)
Endowment: $193M (6th in CUSA)
University Budget: $216M (10th in CUSA)
Athletic Budget: $30M (6th in CUSA)

Plaster Stadium: 17,000 (10th in CUSA)
Great Southern Bank Arena: 11,000 (4th in CUSA)
Hammons Field: 8,000 (1st in CUSA)

Final Sagarin Rating: 132 (6th in CUSA)
Current NET: 135
Current KenPom: 143
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 09:47 PM by EatEmUp11.)
02-13-2024 08:55 PM
Advertisement

kip dynamite Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Missouri State
(02-13-2024 08:55 PM)EatEmUp11 Wrote:  Some other important statistics on MO State, and where they’d fit in with CUSA

University Budget: $207M (10th in CUSA)
Athletic Budget: $21M (9th in CUSA)

Some of these numbers are not accurate. Our athletic budget was around 30 million in 2023. I’m fairly certain the overall budget is much higher than you are showing as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 09:18 PM by kip dynamite.)
02-13-2024 09:09 PM
kip dynamite Offline
Water Engineer

The athletic budget in 2022 was 29.9 million and it’s grown since then.
https://sbj.net/stories/report-msu-athle...rows,85070
02-13-2024 09:15 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

Missouri State has Most likely made a Decision. They have applied for CUSA membership.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 10:26 PM by TOPSTRAIGHT.)
02-13-2024 09:18 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

(02-13-2024 09:09 PM)kip dynamite Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 08:55 PM)EatEmUp11 Wrote:  Some other important statistics on MO State, and where they’d fit in with CUSA

Some of these numbers are not accurate at all. Our athletic budget was around 30 million in 2023. I’m fairly certain the overall budget is much higher than you are showing as well.
“The MSU Board of Governors approved $207 million in operating expenses for this academic year and a majority goes to employee pay and benefits.”

From 2022-2023

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/e...536774007/

Not trying to misrepresent anything with Mo State, will happily edit those numbers if they’re off. Found athletic budget info via knight commission, which clearly is outdated.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 09:21 PM by EatEmUp11.)
02-13-2024 09:20 PM
kip dynamite Offline
Water Engineer

(02-13-2024 09:20 PM)EatEmUp11 Wrote:  
(02-13-2024 09:09 PM)kip dynamite Wrote:  

Some of these numbers are not accurate at all. Our athletic budget was around 30 million in 2023. I’m fairly certain the overall budget is much higher than you are showing as well.
“The MSU Board of Governors approved $207 million in operating expenses for this academic year and a majority goes to employee pay and benefits.”

From 2022-2023

https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/e...536774007/

Not trying to misrepresent anything with Mo State, will happily edit those numbers if they’re off. Found athletic budget info via knight commission, which clearly is outdated.

Hmm. You may be right on the operating budget. I thought it was higher than that.
02-13-2024 09:31 PM
Advertisement

WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(02-13-2024 09:18 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Post #10-- Incorrect. Missouri State has ALREADY made a Decision. They have applied for CUSA membership.

I thought you said ur source was 90% reliable. If so, that's not 100%, and thus until it's announced or a 100% reliable source is noted, I'd stear clear of such definite statements as you just made.
02-13-2024 09:35 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

https://www.missouristate.edu/FinancialS...ummary.pdf

Here is the budget summary with a breakdown for the current fiscal year. Expenses say $216M, so the Bears may be a bit higher.
02-13-2024 09:37 PM
kip dynamite Offline
Water Engineer

(02-13-2024 09:37 PM)EatEmUp11 Wrote:  https://www.missouristate.edu/FinancialS...ummary.pdf

Here is the budget summary with a breakdown for the current fiscal year. Expenses say $216M, so the Bears may be a bit higher.

Thanks for the clarification. That number seems more accurate to me.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 09:43 PM by kip dynamite.)
02-13-2024 09:42 PM
EatEmUp11 Offline
1st String

Would Missouri State fans, who have a “basketball school” reputation, be keen on moving out of the MVC for CUSA, which would a lateral move AT BEST (although far better than their other options if they want FBS) especially with how poorly CUSA has performed in ratings this season?
02-13-2024 09:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.