Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Guy Morriss resigns
Bookmark and Share
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

This one came out of nowhere :eek: :eek:

Quote:Kentucky coach Guy Morriss is set to become the second Southeastern Conference football coach in a week to jump to the Big 12.

Morriss will be introduced as the replacement for fired Baylor coach Kevin Steele during a news conference Wednesday in Waco, a source close to the Bears program confirmed Monday night.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Morriss was on the Baylor campus Monday before returning to Lexington, Ky., where he announced his resignation as the Wildcats' coach.

Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart confirmed the resignation Monday night, saying only that Morriss, a Texas native, resigned to take another coaching job.

``Baylor comes along and puts together a package that's outstanding,'' Barnhart said at a news conference Tuesday. ``If you're in Guy's shoes, you've got to look at those kinds of things for your family. He's been in the game for an awfully long time. Those opportunities don't come along very often and for him to have the opportunity to do that for his family, my hat's off to him.''

A team meeting for Kentucky players was scheduled Tuesday afternoon.

Barnhart said he wants a replacement for Morriss hired by Christmas. He says he has a list of possible replacements, though he did not identify any candidates.

``I want somebody who's not afraid to come in and win a championship,'' he said. ``I want somebody who can talk about competing annually in the top half of this conference. I want someone who can talk about taking our kids to bowl games and letting them experience what it feels like to be in postseason play.

Dennis Franchione left Alabama -- which like Kentucky is on NCAA probation -- last week after a 10-3 season to become the new coach at Texas A&M, where he replaced fired 14-year coach R.C. Slocum.

Like Morriss, Franchione returned to Texas, having previously coached TCU for three seasons.

Steele was fired Nov. 3, but coached Baylor's last three games, all losses to cap a 3-9 season. Steele was 9-36 over four years and 1-31 in the Big 12.

The Bears lost their first 25 conference games under Steele before a 35-32 win over Kansas on Oct. 5.

The 51-year-old Morriss was 9-14 in two seasons as Kentucky's coach. He replaced Hal Mumme when the former coach resigned in February 2001 amid internal and NCAA investigations.

Kentucky was 7-5 this season, but wasn't eligible for a bowl because of NCAA sanctions. It was the Wildcats' first seven-win season since 1998, the final season for quarterback Tim Couch.

After the Wildcats won their first four games this season -- their best start in 18 years -- Barnhart rewarded Morriss by adding two more seasons to his contract, through the 2007 season.

The UK Athletics Association had expected to discuss Morriss' contract, and a possible raise, during its scheduled meeting Tuesday.

Morriss made $400,000 a year at Kentucky, including a base salary of $170,000 plus compensation for his radio and TV shows and the school's endorsement deal with Nike.

While details of his Baylor contract weren't known, Morriss could make about $1 million annually at the Big 12's only private school.

Morriss was on the losing end of one of the most bizarre finishes when LSU won 33-30 at Kentucky on a deflected 75-yard touchdown pass Nov. 9.

As the final play was still unfolding, Morriss was sopping wet -- already doused with Gatorade -- while fireworks were exploding from the scoreboard and Wildcats fans were attacking a goal post.

Morriss is a native of Colorado City, Texas, and played offensive guard at TCU from 1969-72. He played 15 NFL seasons for the Philadelphia Eagles and New England Patriots, appearing in two Super Bowls.

After several assistant jobs in college and the pros, Morriss became Kentucky's offensive line coach under Mumme in 1997.

Morriss is expected to bring most of his Kentucky staff with him, including two former Baylor assistants: defensive coordinator John Goodner and offensive line coach Chris Lancaster.
12-10-2002 06:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

scottcason Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

JoltinJacket Wrote:This one came out of nowhere  
Guy Morriss is a chump. Wasn't he on TV in October squawling like a woman, saying how much he loved his players?! I guess probation was too much for him, he bolted soon as he got a chance. :crying:

And he goes to Baylor of all places! They were 1-7 in their conference games! At least he'll be used to losing.
12-10-2002 11:22 PM
Advertisement

JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

scottcason Wrote:And he goes to Baylor of all places! They were 1-7 in their conference games! At least he'll be used to losing.
1-7 this year? They were on fire! They had lost about 26 Big 12 games in a row before this season.
12-11-2002 01:01 AM
scottcason Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

JoltinJacket Wrote:
scottcason Wrote:And he goes to Baylor of all places!  They were 1-7 in their conference games!  At least he'll be used to losing.
1-7 this year? They were on fire! They had lost about 26 Big 12 games in a row before this season.
Cox Radio's "Jamz 95.7" is asking listeners to bring Franchione memorabilia to Tuscaloosa Friday -- where the Birmingham Business Journal says they'll dump it all into a tree shredder and mail it to Franchione at Texas A&M. With a message that says "screw you." I would like to see Lexington's WLAP or Louisville WHAS pull something like this for him. Hell, I don't know why this pisses me off so much, I'm a UGa fan. But I am tired of these sports figures talking out of both sides of their mouth while letting money lead them around by the balls.

Morriss played the entire University, fans and football players for fools. He's been ducking the media around here like Demoncrats duck the truth . But he's out in Waco laughing it up with all of them.
12-11-2002 09:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.