Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Worst team Memphis has lost to at home since the Tubby days according to stats...
Bookmark and Share
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Worst team Memphis has lost to at home since the Tubby days according to stats...
According the the metrics (KenPom among others) Memphis lost to the worst team at home (Rice) since the Tubby Smith 2017 - 2018 team. That Tubby team is considered the worst team in the program's history since at least the Tic Price era (also according to metrics)

Pomeroy rankings
279 South Florida (2017 - 2018 home loss)
227 Rice (2023 - 2024 home loss)
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024 11:15 PM by memphis mania.)
01-31-2024 10:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
RE: Rice -Worst loss for Memphis since Tubby's last season according to the statistics...
Numbers don't lie.
01-31-2024 10:11 PM
Briskbas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Worst loss for Memphis since Tubby's last season according to the statistics...
(01-31-2024 10:05 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  According the the metrics (KenPom among others) Memphis' loss to Rice the worst home loss for the Memphis basketball program since the Tubby Smith 2017 - 2018 team. That Tubby team is considered the worst team in the program's history since at least the Tic Price era (also according to metrics)

Pomeroy rankings

The South Florida loss was a wire to wire ass kicking. Definitely worse on paper. And I’d argue that that Tubby team was actually worse than the Tic Price teams. It was definitely less talented.

That said, that wasn’t a team that was supposed to make the tournament , was never even near a ranking, and that season had been in the toilet for a while.

This is in a lot of ways worse. The talent gap is definitely greater. And the fall from a few weeks ago was way steeper.
01-31-2024 11:02 PM
memphis mania Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Worst loss for Memphis since Tubby's last season according to the statistics...
(01-31-2024 11:02 PM)Briskbas Wrote:  
(01-31-2024 10:05 PM)memphis mania Wrote:  According the the metrics (KenPom among others) Memphis' loss to Rice the worst home loss for the Memphis basketball program since the Tubby Smith 2017 - 2018 team. That Tubby team is considered the worst team in the program's history since at least the Tic Price era (also according to metrics)

Pomeroy rankings

The South Florida loss was a wire to wire ass kicking. Definitely worse on paper. And I’d argue that that Tubby team was actually worse than the Tic Price teams. It was definitely less talented.

That said, that wasn’t a team that was supposed to make the tournament , was never even near a ranking, and that season had been in the toilet for a while.

This is in a lot of ways worse. The talent gap is definitely greater. And the fall from a few weeks ago was way steeper.

Just stating that it's the worst team the program has lost to at home since Tubby's final year
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024 11:09 PM by memphis mania.)
01-31-2024 11:09 PM
Advertisement

aardWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
In the postgame, Dave asked Penny what he could do to right the ship, and he basically said he couldn't. Put it all on the players and said he has done everything he can. If he's done coaching, maybe it's time for a change.
01-31-2024 11:12 PM
2021 Tiger Football!! Offline
Special Teams

RE: Worst team Memphis has lost to at home since the Tubby days according to stats...
(01-31-2024 11:12 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  In the postgame, Dave asked Penny what he could do to right the ship, and he basically said he couldn't. Put it all on the players and said he has done everything he can. If he's done coaching, maybe it's time for a change.

What I’m afraid of. He’s going to quit.
01-31-2024 11:17 PM
TigersRuleAll Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Worst team Memphis has lost to at home since the Tubby days according to stats...
(01-31-2024 11:17 PM)2021 Tiger Football!! Wrote:  
(01-31-2024 11:12 PM)aardWolf Wrote:  In the postgame, Dave asked Penny what he could do to right the ship, and he basically said he couldn't. Put it all on the players and said he has done everything he can. If he's done coaching, maybe it's time for a change.

I'm afraid he won't.
01-31-2024 11:21 PM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I'm afraid this bunch will run him off and back to the golf course.
Many chirpers around here chirping that would be a good thing, but I think it would be a big setback (think Pastner, Tubby).
02-01-2024 09:35 AM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I thought Memphis could have sleepwalked through Rice and still won. I knew when the Tigers had 3 lousy points at the 13:00 mark of the first half they we were in big trouble. I mean really, what serious basketball team can only score 3 points in seven minutes against the worst team in the league?
02-01-2024 09:41 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
(02-01-2024 09:35 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm afraid this bunch will run him off and back to the golf course.
Many chirpers around here chirping that would be a good thing, but I think it would be a big setback (think Pastner, Tubby).

That’s what worries me as well. We will get another Josh or Tubby. And if we get one that’s good he will bolt after the first good year. Let’s face it of Cal hadn’t been available back in 2000-01 we’d be DePaul or UNLV now. He just saved us for 20 years. That’s why I laugh when people come on here and trash him. Our recruiting base is not like it was in the 80s and 90s. The local kids don’t even want to go to high school here much less college and the ones that do cause division along with their parents. And most of our big boosters don’t even live here now or are too old to care. I was afraid that if Penny couldn’t do it that it would never happen and now I’m convinced of it. I was hoping that he would adapt but he hasn’t. Let’s hold out hope that this year is just a one off with recruits not being able to jell and not a broader problem. I’m starting to question Penny’s work ethic to be honest. Not saying I believe all of it but I’ve heard stories even since his first year about him being late for practices , meetings etc.
02-01-2024 09:57 AM
Advertisement

Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-01-2024 09:41 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  I thought Memphis could have sleepwalked through Rice and still won. I knew when the Tigers had 3 lousy points at the 13:00 mark of the first half they we were in big trouble. I mean really, what serious basketball team can only score 3 points in seven minutes against the worst team in the league?

I honestly did too. Playing at home against a bad team, I thought our 2nd teamers could win this game.

I know there's more parity in college bb this year than ever before. Here's a fact from GP's show yesterday. Up until this year, the historic lowest win % of top 10 teams going on the road to unranked opponents was 62%. That was the LOWEST win % and it happened in 2017. The avg win % in this scenario is 75%. That's since 1950...This year, that win % is 46%. Currently shattering the record.

So it's a weird year. But if we can't beat Rice at home, then this team has quit.
02-01-2024 10:18 AM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I was going through KenPom last night and this is by far the worst 4 game stretch since KenPom started in 1999 based on the losing streak and the rankings of the opponents.
02-01-2024 10:33 AM
oruvoice Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2024 11:21 PM)TigersRuleAll Wrote:  

I'm afraid he won't.

It would be better for all parties involved if he stepped away at season's end.

We don't want/need another Larry situation.
02-01-2024 10:38 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

Donators
Disgraceful results from paid mercenaries.
02-01-2024 10:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.