Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Look back at CUSA and Sun Belt FCS History
Bookmark and Share
Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
A Look back at CUSA and Sun Belt FCS History
Thought this may be a fun thread to start looking at CUSA and Sun Belt teams former glory days in FCS or D1-AA. Multiple former FCS Powerhouses reside in both conferences.

Teams Championship Years (#) Championship Appearance Years (#)
Appalachian State - 2005, 2006, 2007 (3) - 2005, 2006, 2007 (3) - Sun Belt
Arkansas St - NA - 1986 (1) - Sun Belt
Delaware - 2003 (1) - 1982, 2007, 2010 (4) - CUSA
Georgia Southern - 1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000 (6) - Same years + 1988, 1998 (8) - Sun Belt
Jacksonville State - NA - 2015 (1) - CUSA
James Madison - 2004, 2016 (2) - 2004, 2016, 2017, 2019 (4) - Sun Belt
Louisiana Tech - NA - 1984 (1) - CUSA
UL - Monroe - 1987 (1) - 1987 (1) - Sun Belt
Marshall - 1992, 1996 (2) - 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996 (8) - Sun Belt
Sam Houston - 2020 (1) - 2011, 2012, 2020 (3) - CUSA
Western Kentucky - 2002 (1) - 2002 (1) - CUSA

Potential CUSA Add:
*UMass - 1998 (1) - 1978, 1998, 2006 (3)

Trophy total/ appearances by conference:
Conference USA: 3 (4*) Championships, 10 (13*) Appearances
Sun Belt: 15 Championships, 24 Appearances

Other G5s with FCS Championship's
Boise St - 1980 (1) - 1980 (1)
01-31-2024 10:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

R40 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Prairie View A&M
RE: A Look back at CUSA and Sun Belt FCS History
Both are basically FCS Super Conferences.

There is not a lot of difference but Sun Belt has been at it longer and is more committed as a result so has an advantage.
01-31-2024 02:50 PM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
Then you have these teams who never made the IAA or FCS championship game:
Some had a DII or college history but seems all of the G5 leagues have a bit of FCS or lower level history. Please check my list I might have added or missed a school who should or shouldnt be on the lsit.

SBC
troy state
ODU
GSU
South Alabama
Coastal

CUSA
Liberty
Kennesaw
FIU
Middle Tenn

MWC
Nevada

AAC
UNCC
FAU
UAB
UTSA
North Texas
Texas St

MAC
Buffalo
Akron
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2024 05:00 PM by Gemofthehills.)
01-31-2024 05:00 PM
UNT15 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
(01-31-2024 05:00 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Then you have these teams who never made the IAA or FCS championship game:
Some had a DII or college history but seems all of the G5 leagues have a bit of FCS or lower level history. Please check my list I might have added or missed a school who should or shouldnt be on the lsit.

SBC
troy state
ODU
GSU
South Alabama
Coastal

CUSA
Liberty
Kennesaw
FIU
Middle Tenn

MWC
Nevada

AAC
UNCC
FAU
UAB
UTSA
North Texas
Texas St

MAC
Buffalo
Akron

While there's plenty of fodder to rag on North Texas, I will say to be fair to us, we were only in FCS for 12 years and made it to the playoffs 5. So while in some ways that was a dark chapter; we weren't pushovers in that era. I think three of our losses were to teams that went on to either win or play in the championship and our other loss was to Marshall in 1988.

To recap (TLDNR). Yes, North Texas was 1-AA and didn't play for a championship, but neither were we slouches. I feel confident that if we had played at that level longer than we would have won some hardware. I'm sure that troll todge will be along soon to set the record straight and let y'all all.know that actually NTSU is the worst
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2024 12:28 AM by UNT15.)
02-01-2024 12:25 AM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
I have no similar defense for GSU, we were pretty objectively terrible in FCS. I would take moving up ASAP over building up an FCS history a thousand times over, but I respect the resumes of our conference mates and interconference peers.
02-01-2024 05:15 AM
jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(02-01-2024 05:15 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  I have no similar defense for GSU, we were pretty objectively terrible in FCS. I would take moving up ASAP over building up an FCS history a thousand times over, but I respect the resumes of our conference mates and interconference peers.

Well the reason why GSU is not good at football is because you did not build your program up at the FCS level.
02-01-2024 05:42 AM
Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
My post wasnt to say any of these programs were good or bad in FCS/IAA but for everyone to recognize most of G5 now has a history at a lower level. Nothing to be ashamed of just history.
02-01-2024 07:42 AM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Offline
All American

(02-01-2024 05:42 AM)jones682 Wrote:  
(02-01-2024 05:15 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  I have no similar defense for GSU, we were pretty objectively terrible in FCS. I would take moving up ASAP over building up an FCS history a thousand times over, but I respect the resumes of our conference mates and interconference peers.

Well the reason why GSU is not good at football is because you did not build your program up at the FCS level.

Jones, you're so reliable I'm starting to think you're an algorithm instead of a person.
02-01-2024 08:01 AM
Bearkat21 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sam Houston
(02-01-2024 07:42 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  My post wasnt to say any of these programs were good or bad in FCS/IAA but for everyone to recognize most of G5 now has a history at a lower level. Nothing to be ashamed of just history.

This was my point of posting the FCS D-1AA history too. It would interesting to see how well teams that did better in DII are faring vs teams who did well at the FCS level vs teams who played less than 5 seasons at FCS when developing a football then moving up. Someone should put this together. I think it may be telling for what the best route is for building up to G5/ FBS football.
02-01-2024 08:02 AM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

(02-01-2024 08:02 AM)Bearkat21 Wrote:  
(02-01-2024 07:42 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  My post wasnt to say any of these programs were good or bad in FCS/IAA but for everyone to recognize most of G5 now has a history at a lower level. Nothing to be ashamed of just history.

This was my point of posting the FCS D-1AA history too. It would interesting to see how well teams that did better in DII are faring vs teams who did well at the FCS level vs teams who played less than 5 seasons at FCS when developing a football then moving up. Someone should put this together. I think it may be telling for what the best route is for building up to G5/ FBS football.

If you want to find evidence supporting either route, you can probably find it. That's the beauty of passionate opinions and few data points...you can make it fit whatever narrative you want. Now, if the question to fans becomes, "While your program is being built up to G5 competitiveness, would you rather compete in FBS or FCS?"...I suspect most fanbases would prefer the former. But...i.have no data to support that, just my own observations and feelings. The "you should have spent more time in FCS" argument typically comes across like an Amway member trying to feel less screwed by screwing other people.
02-01-2024 08:19 AM
Advertisement

whupemall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Jax State
(02-01-2024 08:19 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  
(02-01-2024 08:02 AM)Bearkat21 Wrote:  

If you want to find evidence supporting either route, you can probably find it. That's the beauty of passionate opinions and few data points...you can make it fit whatever narrative you want. Now, if the question to fans becomes, "While your program is being built up to G5 competitiveness, would you rather compete in FBS or FCS?"...I suspect most fanbases would prefer the former. But...i.have no data to support that, just my own observations and feelings. The "you should have spent more time in FCS" argument typically comes across like an Amway member trying to feel less screwed by screwing other people.

While there are exceptions (like NDSU) who were dominant at one level, moved up, and were just as dominant (or moreso) at the next level, I think if anyone were to break down all the numbers for all teams moving from D-II to FCS to FBS, they'd see that, overall, there's not a lot of correlation between the two.

Jax State was DOMINANT -- on a national level -- in D-II. We only had one championship to show for it, but we made it to the championship game so many times in the late 80s and early 90s we literally took it for granted.

When we moved up to I-AA, the administration thought what was working so well in D-II would work well at the next level.

Narrator: It did not, in fact, work well.

It took us 10 years (and a move to a pitifully weak conference) before we tasted a conference championship again, and another 10 years beyond that before we even got our first playoff win.

With some hard lessons learned, we didn't approach our move to FBS by repeating the things that had worked well for us in FCS. We hired an FBS-level coach, paid him the best FBS-level salary we could afford, made sure he had an FBS-level staff, etc etc. The result was a winning season and unexpected bowl win in Year 1.

It's FAR too early to say we're going to be "dominant" at this level. That's not my point.

My point is that we had to approach FBS completely differently than we approached FCS to achieve success.

Some of the other FBS teams who've made the move up from I-AA/FCS had to learn the hard way how to do that. (Just as we learned during our D2 to I-AA transition.) Some are still trying to figure it out.

Others used their short FCS stay primarily to get the infrastructure in place for the move up, and didn't focus as much on wins until they were already at this level. Once here, they turned the amps to 11 and fully committed.

A team that's constantly in the FCS playoffs could move to FBS and become decidedly mediocre.

A team that's never made it past the first round of the FCS playoffs could move to FBS and become champions.

It's interesting to compare how teams have done it in the past, but you can't really forecast how an FCS (or even D-II) program will do at the next level without fully examining their operational plans for the next level.

But it's clear if they don't change what they've been doing, they're going to struggle. That's practically guaranteed.
02-01-2024 09:46 AM
R40 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Prairie View A&M
What your history is at the lower level doesn't really matter. All that matters is how you handle the move up. If try to grow into it like North Texas and Texas State and just hope for the best, you never get anywhere. If you try to compete as much as possible like Troy and Jacksonville State, you will do better.

Typically, schools that have been better at the lower level will be more dedicated to winning whereas schools just moving up to make money will be laggards.
02-01-2024 02:59 PM
jones682 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kennesaw State
(02-01-2024 08:01 AM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  
(02-01-2024 05:42 AM)jones682 Wrote:  

Jones, you're so reliable I'm starting to think you're an algorithm instead of a person.

Don't get me wrong, I 100000000% route for State when you all play Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern have the most annoying fans of all time.
02-01-2024 05:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.