Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men’s tennis coach
Bookmark and Share
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Men’s tennis coach
So our men’s tennis coach is charged with domestic battery in October of 2023, resigns as head coach in November, and is NOT replaced and absolutely no word from the university.

https://northernstar.info/112274/sports/...c-battery/
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024 11:43 AM by HuskieDave.)
01-30-2024 11:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Men’s tennis coach
Tennis at NIU ....

what a waste of money.

IMHO
01-30-2024 11:53 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(01-30-2024 11:53 AM)chihuskie Wrote:  Tennis at NIU ....

what a waste of money.

IMHO

Baseball and softball are the biggest money waste.

Baseball and softball play 65-70% of their games on the road every season because they start the season in February.

2024 baseball team has 21 straight road games to open their season. Only 20 home games in a 57-game schedule.

2024 women's softball team has it worse. They play 26 straight road games to open their season. Yikes! Only 17 home games in a 55-game schedule.

https://niuhuskies.com/sports/softball/schedule/2024
01-30-2024 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(01-30-2024 12:19 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

what a waste of money.

IMHO

Baseball and softball are the biggest money waste.

Baseball and softball play 65-70% of their games on the road every season because they start the season in February.

2024 baseball team has 21 straight road games to open their season. Only 20 home games in a 57-game schedule.

2024 women's softball team has it worse. They play 26 straight road games to open their season. Yikes! Only 17 home games in a 55-game schedule.

https://niuhuskies.com/sports/softball/schedule/2024

These schedules are nothing unique with teams in this part of the country. Northwestern softball plays it's first 23 games away from Evanston. NW baseball plays its first 20 games away.

DePaul softball plays 20 games away.

UIC softball plays its first 25 games away. UIC baseball mixes in some games in March but doesn't always get to play them based on the weather.

Milwaukee baseball plays its first 23 on the road.

Wisconsin softball plays its first 30 games on the road.

Illinois softball pays its first 19 games on the road. Illinois baseball plays its first 14 games on the road.

A lot of the road games are tournaments or multi-team events where you aren't traveling all over the place for each game but you go and play 4 or 5 games at a location. For example, NIU softball goes to Cedar Falls, IA for the Doc Halverson UNI-Dome Classic where they play 5 games against 5 different teams (UNI, Western Illinois, Omaha, Butler and Drake), then they go to Mobile, AL for the South Alabama Tournament where they play 5 games against 4 teams (South Alabama, UAB, Eastern Kentucky, and Central Michigan), then they go to Bowling Green, KY for the Western Kentucky Hilltopper Spring Fling Tournament where they play 5 games against 3 teams (SIU, Western Kentucky, Dayton), then they go to Missoula, MT for the Montana Tournament where they play 5 games against 2 teams (Montana, Holy Cross). Then they start conference play which just happens to have the first 2 series scheduled on the road...which is out of their control.

As for baseball, they first go to Abilene, TX for 4 games against Abilene Christian, then go to Baton Rouge, LA for 4 games (2 against LSU and 2 against Northwestern State), then they go to Iowa City for a game against Iowa and then to Cincinnati for 4 games against Cincinnati before the conference season starts up. And again, the first 2 series are scheduled away, which is not in their control.

But again, none of this is unique for baseball and softball. Every university, even the ones with fieldturf spend a lot of the early, non-conference season away from home.

The issue is the season starting in February and that's on the NCAA and they don't seem inclined to changing it. A 56 game season seems, imo, like a lot of games and could be cut down by 10 (or more) which would change the start of the season.
01-30-2024 01:29 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

Also a waste of money.

And I am sure those trips to Alabama, Montana, Louisiana are cheap.
01-30-2024 03:42 PM
Advertisement

huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
going full circle, back to the OP, it is very sad about Patrick. From intermittent contact, he seemed like a good guy but obviously has issues. Hopefully, he accepts responsibility and help and is able to move on with his life.

It is a stretch to connect this to women's issues, perhaps, but it occurs to me many of the programs that would be eliminated under some posters' "waste of money" statements is that many of these "olympic sports" are women's sports. Due to Title IX they are required given the gigantic number of scholarships in football that have to be matched. Ergo, no women's tennis, track, gymnastics, basketball, etc, no football or other sports.

Also, in order to be a large university, schools must offer a wide variety of programs that cost money that many of us might prefer not be available including majors in the arts, philosphy, general studies, liberal arts and more. Diversity is the key to education and well rounded people (and universities) understand and support all things that contribute to education--not just those things we care about, value or want.
01-30-2024 04:36 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
what a waste of money.
IMHO

You do realize there have to be sports other than football, men's/women's basketball and volleyball? Consider the money invested into turning Evans Field House into a tremendous asset for both the men's and women's programs and explain why that sport is "a waste of money"?
When others then question the merits of baseball and softball, you deem them a waste of money as well. What is your ideal Division I athletic program out of curiosity?
01-30-2024 04:37 PM
Advertisement

chihuskie Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2024 04:37 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
what a waste of money.
IMHO

You do realize there have to be sports other than football, men's/women's basketball and volleyball? Consider the money invested into turning Evans Field House into a tremendous asset for both the men's and women's programs and explain why that sport is "a waste of money"?
When others then question the merits of baseball and softball, you deem them a waste of money as well. What is your ideal Division I athletic program out of curiosity?
The fieldhouse is a valuable asset. Or it was. Now its a few tennis courts. Not a waste of money? ok. I clearly labeled my opinion my opinion. We could differ, and obviously we do.

And baseball not being a waste of money..... I think that is a hard argument to make. Again, my opinion. How much is invested in a new field? Coaches salaries? scholarships, travel? And how many fans go to games? How does it help the prestige of the University?
We could have a swimming team (an indoor sport) ... or a lot of other things. I am not anti other sports and understand title IX well enough.

Like it or not, NIU athletics has scarce resources. If an indoor tennis facility on prime campus real estate is what Athletics deems is a good investment, well, so be it. If building a new field for a baseball team that has no history of any success is a good investment, then so be it. And those that think those are good investments, more power to them. Those are not my idea of good investments. But I am not STF.

(I am aware the tennis courts at Chick Evans were to some degree paid for with donor money--- that does not change any of my comment.)
01-30-2024 05:27 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(01-30-2024 11:40 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  So our men’s tennis coach is charged with domestic battery in October of 2023, resigns as head coach in November, and is NOT replaced and absolutely no word from the university.

Regrettably, no surprise that neither STF or Donna Turner handled this properly.
A simple release at the time stating that Patrick Fisher resigned as men's tennis coach for personal reasons, thanks from STF for Fisher's efforts with the program, and some sort of plan -- women's coach Eric Burns or men's tennis Graduate Assistant Coach Shao-Yu Yu -- will guide the team through the remainder of this season, followed by the standard "national search" for a new leader for the program will follow.
01-30-2024 05:31 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(01-30-2024 05:31 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(01-30-2024 11:40 AM)HuskieDave Wrote:  So our men’s tennis coach is charged with domestic battery in October of 2023, resigns as head coach in November, and is NOT replaced and absolutely no word from the university.

Regrettably, no surprise that neither STF or Donna Turner handled this properly.
A simple release at the time stating that Patrick Fisher resigned as men's tennis coach for personal reasons, thanks from STF for Fisher's efforts with the program, and some sort of plan -- women's coach Eric Burns or men's tennis Graduate Assistant Coach Shao-Yu Yu -- will guide the team through the remainder of this season, followed by the standard "national search" for a new leader for the program will follow.

Seems to me, it would have been the absolutely perfect way to handle a difficult situation.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2024 08:25 PM by HuskieDave.)
01-30-2024 05:34 PM
HUSKiESbelieve Offline
Special Teams

Very sad story, domestic abuse. The fact that he waited for her to reengage is horrible, dude has mental issues.

Doesn't reflect the sport of tennis which is great for one's health.
01-31-2024 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.