Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Moody Monday
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Moody Monday
Hearts go out to the Lions from the water boys, staff, players, coaches, and ownership and fans unto the ends of the earth.

Yesterday saw Cinderella (Lions) and princess (Taylor Swift) have different endings.

On to 2024. NFL draft in Detroit and the biggie, free agency, with the Lions having plenty of salary cap room.

What can EMU learn. Speed kills in football. EMU needs more speed esp. with Jaylon gone.

And we learned that Goff looked great this season when he got protection. And two thousand yard runners running behind an all star OL.

We need to rebuild an OL. Break in a new starting QB. And players faster than the wind at RB and WR.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024 07:56 AM by emu steve.)
01-29-2024 07:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: Moody Monday
(01-29-2024 07:47 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Hearts go out to the Lions from the water boys, staff, players, coaches, and ownership and fans unto the ends of the earth.

Yesterday saw Cinderella (Lions) and princess (Taylor Swift) have different endings.

On to 2024. NFL draft in Detroit and the biggie, free agency, with the Lions having plenty of salary cap room.

What can EMU learn. Speed kills in football. EMU needs more speed esp. with Jaylon gone.

And we learned that Goff looked great this season when he got protection. And two thousand yard runners running behind an all star OL.

We need to rebuild an OL. Break in a new starting QB. And players faster than the wind at RB and WR.

I think the Lions might be the best run business in the NFL and have been for years. Why? They have an INCREDIBLY LOYAL and captive fan base, and the NFL shares its main revenue stream, TV contracts. They played a San Fran payroll of $219M yesterday with a payroll of $122M, the third lowest in the NFL. Guess where that delta of $97M went? Good business for sure.

The Lions needed another pass rusher and Washington was $$$ shopping both Chase Young and Montez Sweat. The Lions traded for receiver Donovan Peoples-Jones instead. I'm still not sold on the organization being truly committed to winning.

As far as speed, you are spot on, not just at WR and RB, but across the entire field. Remember in 2016 when we had two very good edge rushers, POC and Harris? That skinny but extremely fast guy backing them up at time was probably better then and certainly ended up as fabulous. Jimmy Johnson will tell you that when coaching in college, that speed was his major attraction. Having said that, however, EMU does play football in Midwestern November weather, those frozen field MACTION games certainly can negate speed to an extent. We can never be as fast as our recent bowl opponent from Alabama was.

One thing I did notice yesterday. Even though Baltimore lost, their defensive tackling ability was stellar! The Lions? They reminded me of EMU, so many open field tackles missed. Tackling is not a skill that depends on foot speed or a powerful throwing arm, yet for EMU, it is a chronic problem. Can Coach Needham seek out advice on how to correct this problem?
01-29-2024 06:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Yeah, I was surprised they didn't trade for Young or Sweat opposite Hutchinson.

I believe the Lions have a lot of cap space. Watch March 13 for free agents.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2024 08:07 PM by emu steve.)
01-29-2024 08:06 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

NLRB rules that Dartmouth MBB players are employees and can form a union.

https://x.com/achristovichh/status/17546...01198?s=20
02-05-2024 05:57 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-05-2024 05:57 PM)emu steve Wrote:  NLRB rules that Dartmouth MBB players are employees and can form a union.

Gosh this is getting ridiculous. Most employee groups don't decide to pursue union organization unless the company they work for is extremely profitable and thus they have a degree of leverage like at Amazon, Walmart, GM, etc... Dartmouth MBB, however, is a losing entity and its employees must realize that such actions are likely to put the "company" out of business. Then again, the "workers" there have a defined term of employment of only four years, why not create a disturbance while there? It is the Ivy League.

I think Charley Baker is smiling, congress is going to have to act.
02-05-2024 07:03 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-05-2024 07:03 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(02-05-2024 05:57 PM)emu steve Wrote:  NLRB rules that Dartmouth MBB players are employees and can form a union.

Gosh this is getting ridiculous. Most employee groups don't decide to pursue union organization unless the company they work for is extremely profitable and thus they have a degree of leverage like at Amazon, Walmart, GM, etc... Dartmouth MBB, however, is a losing entity and its employees must realize that such actions are likely to put the "company" out of business. Then again, the "workers" there have a defined term of employment of only four years, why not create a disturbance while there? It is the Ivy League.

What I find most amazing is that tsn't the Ivys non-athletic scholarship schools???

I thought Patriot League and Ivy league. Am I wrong on the Ivys???
02-05-2024 11:32 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2024 11:32 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

What I find most amazing is that tsn't the Ivys non-athletic scholarship schools???

You are correct about the Ivy League.
02-06-2024 07:29 AM
SWOOPthereitis Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(02-05-2024 11:32 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I think if anything, the fact that they are non-scholarship works in their favor. They are really free labor in that case because they aren't even compensated with a "scholarship." While I think you can argue the value of a scholarship and whether or not it is fair compensation for the "student" athletes, the value of it varies from school to school and sport to sport. In the Ivy League, with no scholarships, the students really are not getting any compensation. Sure they might get some free t-shirts or other minor perquisites, but nothing of significant value.

Whether or not the business makes money is somewhat of a separate issue.
For example, I don't care how much money my employer makes, I still deserve to get paid for the work that I do. I should get fair market value for my services and shouldn't be paid less just because management doesn't know what they're doing.
If I argue I need more money for the work I provide I run the risk of pricing myself out of a job, and it's more risky to do so when I am negotiating on my own. Collective bargaining is a great tool to prevent corporations from running roughshod over employees. That's why most corporations tell their employees not to discuss pay, the less others know about who is getting paid what, the harder it is for them to determine market value. However, workers don't unionize because companies are profitable and "they have leverage," they unionize because they don't have any leverage against a large corporation and have no protections against the whims of such and therefore need leverage. By joining together, they can gain that leverage against large companies like amazon, walmart, etc. Those companies aren't more susceptible to their worker's unionizing because they have money, it's because they treat their workers poorly and if the workers are able to unionize they can prevent that.

In college athletics, the athletes have limited bargaining power (which admittedly changing through the NIL stuff) and are watching everyone make money while claiming they can't pay them because they're "students" even though the only time they are treated like "students" is during such negotiations. I doubt prioritizing students will come into play when the big ten is discussing scheduling Rutgers basketball to play at UCLA on a Tuesday night in February. I think the real point of the unionizing is to be recognized as employees and end the sham.

I also think with "student" athletics, the focus on the athletic department's bottom line is not the true measure of weather or not the program is a money maker. Athletics generates revenue in other ways that are less direct than basketball ticket sales. It provides advertising for schools (i.e. Loyola going to the final four a few years back, Fairleigh Dickinson last year, etc.) that can generate awareness in potential students and renewed interest and donations from alumni. Take this board for example. Everyone on this board is heavily invested in our sports teams that are not exactly the cream of the MAC crop, imagine how many alumni that would be drawn in if we did consistently compete for MAC championships. This is why over the past 20 years plenty of schools have tried to jump to division one. Take for example Grand Canyon who is an actual for profit school, and they're focused on D-1 basketball relevance, and I'm sure it's not because they're selling out games every week. Taking into account the less direct value sports provides, the risk of "running Dartmouth basketball out of business" is smaller than you think. And if it does in fact shut the program down, then maybe they aren't a real business that needs to be operating if it can only exist solely on free labor.
02-06-2024 12:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.