Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Fighting Huskie" logo coming back ... or at least available?
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
"Fighting Huskie" logo coming back ... or at least available?
See the comments in the latest "Frazier's Corner" about this!

https://niuhuskies.com/news/2024/1/25/ge...unity.aspx

Not meaning it will "take over," but a lot of fans want it more readily available.

(Note: My avatar is from a photo I took of my old Huskie Club sweater. Here's a link to the NIU logos over the years. Enjoy.)

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_b...is_Huskies )
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 07:16 AM by pvk75.)
01-26-2024 07:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
RE: "Fighting Huskie" logo coming back ... or at least available?
The difference between the "2001-2011" and "2011-present" versions is staggering.
01-26-2024 07:26 AM
Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
I know there was recently a complaint about the quality of the image/design of the basketball court and...I honestly didn't notice when it came out but...I do agree. It looks really bad and I'm not sure how it got approved.

Anyway, I always felt the script on the ends would look great with the Fighting Huskie logo at center court.

Btw, google up the new court at SIUe and, imo, it looks a thousand times better than what we got.
01-26-2024 09:04 AM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
(01-26-2024 09:04 AM)Big Red Wrote:  I know there was recently a complaint about the quality of the image/design of the basketball court and...I honestly didn't notice when it came out but...I do agree. It looks really bad and I'm not sure how it got approved.

Anyway, I always felt the script on the ends would look great with the Fighting Huskie logo at center court.

Btw, google up the new court at SIUe and, imo, it looks a thousand times better than what we got.

Crap like the basketball court & the convo design/set up just remind me of the horror of stepping into the brand new rec center with carpeted basketball courts. How these university administrators make decisions just boggles the mind.
01-26-2024 10:11 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2024 10:11 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  
(01-26-2024 09:04 AM)Big Red Wrote:  I know there was recently a complaint about the quality of the image/design of the basketball court and...I honestly didn't notice when it came out but...I do agree. It looks really bad and I'm not sure how it got approved.

Crap like the basketball court & the convo design/set up just remind me of the horror of stepping into the brand new rec center with carpeted basketball courts. How these university administrators make decisions just boggles the mind.

The bar for everything is set fairly low with Sean Frazier at the helm. He no longer aspires to move mountains at NIU as all ADs should, he just keeps putting bandaids and duct tape on NIU athletics to see how long he can stretch out his Dekalb payday before having to look elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 12:13 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
01-26-2024 12:11 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-26-2024 12:11 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

The bar for everything is set fairly low with Sean Frazier at the helm. He no longer aspires to move mountains at NIU as all ADs should, he just keeps putting bandaids and duct tape on NIU athletics to see how long he can stretch out his Dekalb payday before having to look elsewhere.

Me: [Google's SIUe basketball court.]
Google: "Do you mean 'First Community Arena' in Edwardsville?"
Me: #$%^! how the #@%* did they get naming rights before us....
01-26-2024 01:12 PM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2024 01:12 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  

Seriously. Someone compile a list of colleges that sold major naming rights over the last 10 years and ask STF why he failed to check that box off. He sucks hard.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 01:32 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
01-26-2024 01:30 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

According to the SIUE athletic website ... "In August 2019, a 10-year, $2.3 million agreement was announced naming the playing arena First Community Arena at the Vadalabene Center." So that means SIU got $230,000 a year for 10 years (basic math, though it may have been larger up front and smaller at the end ... who cares?). And compared to the Convo's size (9,000+ for bball), SIUE's venue officially seats "slightly above 4,000."

So Fearless Leader STF could not even get $230k a year for the Convo? Since January 2018 when naming rights bidding was announced, just what kind of offers has NIU gotten? Anyone?
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 01:53 PM by pvk75.)
01-26-2024 01:50 PM
niu16 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: biu
(01-26-2024 01:30 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(01-26-2024 01:12 PM)thehappyhuskie Wrote:  

Seriously. Someone compile a list of colleges that sold major naming rights over the last 10 years and ask STF why he failed to check that box off. He sucks hard.

SIU-C, SIU-E and Illinois State just in Illinois alone. I guess DePaul also with Wintrust.
01-26-2024 01:59 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Here's another one: in January a November 2018 offer from Credit Union 1 was approved for $9.3 million plus a $750,000 scholarship fund contribution for naming rights to the UIC Pavilion. Now Credit Union 1 Arena. A 15-year deal.

But hey! Per the Frazier's Corner link above ... "on Saturday, February 17, NIU will host the first "Polar Plunge" at Huskie Stadium, benefitting Special Olympics." I support Special Olympics, but ... seriously?!
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 02:18 PM by pvk75.)
01-26-2024 02:05 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(01-26-2024 01:50 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  According to the SIUE athletic website ... "In August 2019, a 10-year, $2.3 million agreement was announced naming the playing arena First Community Arena at the Vadalabene Center." So that means SIU got $230,000 a year for 10 years (basic math, though it may have been larger up front and smaller at the end ... who cares?). And compared to the Convo's size (9,000+ for bball), SIUE's venue officially seats "slightly above 4,000."

So Fearless Leader STF could not even get $230k a year for the Convo? Since January 2018 when naming rights bidding was announced, just what kind of offers has NIU gotten? Anyone?

So lets make this real easy. He started looking at this about 5-6 years ago.

We will reduce the price just to show how dumb he was for not getting anyone to sign on even at a low dollar amount for a larger venue (convo) than SIUE. $200K x 5 years -1million. What STF did was -$0- x 5 years.

Maybe I just over think this, but when you are school who struggles to get funds in, we would have had another million to invest into items throughout the department or upgrading certain things in the Convo. Instead he got no additional income and has had no fundraising for upgrades since hes been here. Just bad business. Something is better than nothing regarding this. Baffles me.
01-26-2024 02:22 PM
Advertisement

nbcards Offline
Special Teams

"We will be launching a fan store located in the Convocation Center and eventually satellite locations throughout the athletics footprint. We are excited to be able to bring this to our fans and supporters as we find new opportunities to increase engagement and revenue!"

Curious on this fan store for the satellite locations. So hard to get NIU gear its ridiculous.
01-26-2024 04:57 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(01-26-2024 04:57 PM)nbcards Wrote:  "We will be launching a fan store located in the Convocation Center and eventually satellite locations throughout the athletics footprint. We are excited to be able to bring this to our fans and supporters as we find new opportunities to increase engagement and revenue!"
Curious on this fan store for the satellite locations. So hard to get NIU gear its ridiculous.

Realize that STF and everybody on his staff have no knowledge or respect for any of NIU Athletics' past history, but what happened to that small fan store that was part of the Convo Center when it first came into existence?
01-26-2024 05:02 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2024 05:02 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(01-26-2024 04:57 PM)nbcards Wrote:  "We will be launching a fan store located in the Convocation Center and eventually satellite locations throughout the athletics footprint. We are excited to be able to bring this to our fans and supporters as we find new opportunities to increase engagement and revenue!"

Realize that STF and everybody on his staff have no knowledge or respect for any of NIU Athletics' past history, but what happened to that small fan store that was part of the Convo Center when it first came into existence?

Seriously, there was a small fan store in the lobby for years, and likely when he took the reigns. STF let it fade away, now is un-f*cking that up and wants to count it as an accolade.

HOW TO GET RID OF THIS CLOWN?
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 05:10 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
01-26-2024 05:09 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

don't worry, it will be mass produced Fanatics that will have the same three designs you can pick from like one of those old t-shirt shops like you see at Indiana Beach.

seriously, i gave up years ago when NIU sent Homefield Apparel a cease and desist. there's so many solid brands out there reviving old logos and NIU is refusing bc they want 100% of a tiny pie rather than 40% of a huge pie.

look i'm no business major, but marketing 101 tells me getting your name out there is better than sitting in the closet with the lights off.
01-26-2024 05:58 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Back to the OP and link ... it says "Up to this point, we have limited use of that popular retro logo to our team gear," referring to the Fighting Huskie. That's curious wording. NIU had/has a number of dips--- control freak internalist clowns over the years in athletics (and elsewhere; I know, and have written extensively about it).

Unlike Convo naming rights, let's hope STF follows through on this.

BTW, STF's big facilities master plan out in 2015 specifically says (Under "Proposed Facility Improvements") that "expansion of the team store will ease congestion and improve patron experience in the existing store during events." I saw it when the place opened in 2002; went in a couple times, I recall. Never really thought about what happened to it.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 09:06 PM by pvk75.)
01-26-2024 08:28 PM
Advertisement

pvk75 Offline
All American

It has to do with paying royalties on licensed items so the owner -- in this case NIU -- can make some money. Nothing wrong with that and a common practice; the royalty is included in the price you pay (think NFL gear). If the retailer does not want to pay (and raise prices to cover the cost) they don't sell the gear. That's also the reason for the "team store" concept ... NIU which owns the license is selling the gear directly (the price of course includes production, since NIU does not actually make the stuff; think Sears Craftsman).

Regardless, the aim is availability to fans who are willing to pay. I still wonder why that Convo store was shut down.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2024 10:18 PM by pvk75.)
01-26-2024 10:14 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(01-26-2024 02:05 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  Here's another one: in January a November 2018 offer from Credit Union 1 was approved for $9.3 million plus a $750,000 scholarship fund contribution for naming rights to the UIC Pavilion. Now Credit Union 1 Arena. A 15-year deal.

But hey! Per the Frazier's Corner link above ... "on Saturday, February 17, NIU will host the first "Polar Plunge" at Huskie Stadium, benefitting Special Olympics." I support Special Olympics, but ... seriously?!

If you want to argue failure to get naming rights, fine.

But let's not compare NIU Convo to "UIC Pavilion" as many still call it.

It's on one of the busiest interstates in the country, that for hours a day is a parking lot. In a highly populated residential area. We can then go into the schools themselves, physical location but not needed. It's marketing 101.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024 09:52 AM by randyfensfanclub1.)
01-27-2024 09:50 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

Aware of all that. Was following the posts, then just added to the growing list per $ value received. The real point being followed was that in 5+ years NIU apparently got nothing. It's Reading Comprehension 101.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2024 10:04 AM by pvk75.)
01-27-2024 10:01 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Quote:Look for detailed information on priority for Notre Dame tickets and experiences, the elimination of the season parking pass charges, key dates and more in the HAF membership guide and online at NIUHuskies.com and HuskieAthleticFund.com.

Does this mean they will stop charging me an extra $25 for Convo parking just because I bought season tickets? Meanwhile people who buy single game tickets and day-of tickets don't have to pay for Convo parking at all.
01-27-2024 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.