Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tigers will be fine
Bookmark and Share
MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Tigers will be fine
I’m one of the most negative posters here, even though I want Penny to win big sooooo bad. I also happen to watch a ton of college hoops. Today was a quad 2 loss. You won’t find many teams without a q2 loss. You actually will find a lot of the top 50 teams with a q3 loss. Kansas took one yesterday. Kentucky lost at home to UNCW (maybe Greensboro, don’t remember). We’ve won a bunch of close games and now lost a couple. FT shooting bit us somewhat today. So did not having Walton available in 2nd. I actually think we win if he plays instead of Jayden. We lost to USF mainly because we shot 2/15 from 3 in 2nd half and our 2 best players missed key FTs. Back to back losses where we had a 3 to win at buzzer. Both games were against teams 100-140 net. Not devastating as far as metrics go

Penny will get this figured out. There is too much talent and experience in that locker room not to so so. We still have some quad 1 (FAU twice, @ SMU) and quad 2 (@UNT, maybe Charlotte) opportunities plus Fort Worth. You don’t win 10 in a row by getting lucky. Not against 2 SEC, 2 ACC teams with 3 being ranked plus a quad 1 at home vs SMU.

Sit back. Chill. Drink a bunch of beers. Eat a gummy. Relax. Tiger hoops is what we all love. It’s a bump in the road, but by the end of the season, we’ll be rolling again. Already showed some of what we are capable of in non conf. We’ve lost 2 games by a total of 3 points. Maybe that’s part of what gets frustrating with Penny. We play up and beat the Houston’s and Alabamas and auburns, but then we lose games like today. The talent is there. Just got to refocus.

Still think this is a sweet 16 or better team. It’s mid Jan and everyone has some head scratchers
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2024 07:41 PM by MemTigers1998.)
01-21-2024 07:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

RE: Tigers will be fine
Get a week off
01-21-2024 07:46 PM
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem
Of course they will be fine.

It will be fine to get a 9 seed and lose first round. It would be fine to miss the tourney all together. Life goes on and the sun comes out the next day.

It would just be a shame for a team with this much potential to miss. Opportunities dont come around every year. After the dry spell of the last Pastner years and Tubby years with no chance to even be an NCAA tourney team, Penny is sure taking liberties like overplaying his kids in games that will be critical for seeding during a year where we have a great opportunity. Its frustrating.

but of course it will be fine
01-21-2024 08:23 PM
blue68 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Titans
It will be fine as wine
01-21-2024 08:35 PM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
Telling quote that kinda bug me in the press from Penny...

“We’re gonna see what we’re made of,” Penny Hardaway said. “I’m used to seeing this Memphis, versus the other Memphis, with being in adversity. We just need to see where this is gonna take us.”

So, the man admits that at least his teams are consistent....in the fact that they always have some kind of problem.

Need to do some real investigation to find out what the common denominator is here... we may not like what we find...
01-21-2024 08:58 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-21-2024 07:39 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  I’m one of the most negative posters here, even though I want Penny to win big sooooo bad. I also happen to watch a ton of college hoops. Today was a quad 2 loss. You won’t find many teams without a q2 loss. You actually will find a lot of the top 50 teams with a q3 loss. Kansas took one yesterday. Kentucky lost at home to UNCW (maybe Greensboro, don’t remember). We’ve won a bunch of close games and now lost a couple. FT shooting bit us somewhat today. So did not having Walton available in 2nd. I actually think we win if he plays instead of Jayden. We lost to USF mainly because we shot 2/15 from 3 in 2nd half and our 2 best players missed key FTs. Back to back losses where we had a 3 to win at buzzer. Both games were against teams 100-140 net. Not devastating as far as metrics go

Penny will get this figured out. There is too much talent and experience in that locker room not to so so. We still have some quad 1 (FAU twice, @ SMU) and quad 2 (@UNT, maybe Charlotte) opportunities plus Fort Worth. You don’t win 10 in a row by getting lucky. Not against 2 SEC, 2 ACC teams with 3 being ranked plus a quad 1 at home vs SMU.

Sit back. Chill. Drink a bunch of beers. Eat a gummy. Relax. Tiger hoops is what we all love. It’s a bump in the road, but by the end of the season, we’ll be rolling again. Already showed some of what we are capable of in non conf. We’ve lost 2 games by a total of 3 points. Maybe that’s part of what gets frustrating with Penny. We play up and beat the Houston’s and Alabamas and auburns, but then we lose games like today. The talent is there. Just got to refocus.

Still think this is a sweet 16 or better team. It’s mid Jan and everyone has some head scratchers

01-21-2024 10:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ericsrevenge76 Away
Jesus is coming soon

I Root For: The Kingdom
(01-21-2024 07:39 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  I’m one of the most negative posters here, even though I want Penny to win big sooooo bad. I also happen to watch a ton of college hoops. Today was a quad 2 loss. You won’t find many teams without a q2 loss. You actually will find a lot of the top 50 teams with a q3 loss. Kansas took one yesterday. Kentucky lost at home to UNCW (maybe Greensboro, don’t remember). We’ve won a bunch of close games and now lost a couple. FT shooting bit us somewhat today. So did not having Walton available in 2nd. I actually think we win if he plays instead of Jayden. We lost to USF mainly because we shot 2/15 from 3 in 2nd half and our 2 best players missed key FTs. Back to back losses where we had a 3 to win at buzzer. Both games were against teams 100-140 net. Not devastating as far as metrics go

+3 for a dose of positivity instead of the absolute cesspool of negativity this place usually is.
01-22-2024 03:29 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(01-22-2024 03:29 AM)ericsrevenge76 Wrote:  

+3 for a dose of positivity instead of the absolute cesspool of negativity this place usually is.

04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers04-cheers
01-22-2024 07:02 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
I'm going to give this thread about 5-6 weeks before responding.
01-22-2024 07:57 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
allegedly we had a few players with illness this week. Let's see what happens with the week off
01-22-2024 08:17 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
This is what Memphis is under Penny Hardaway. I don’t expect anything more than an 8-11 seed in the NCAA tournament, a 1st or 2nd round exit, and then a mass exodus of players & staff.
01-22-2024 08:44 AM
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

This team, as it looks now, will lose a couple of more games. That means a couple bad losses which will put the Tigers right back on the 8/9 seed line. Won't that be awesome. Fine for some, terrible for others.
01-22-2024 09:17 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Interesting that the tough OOC schedule ended up being easier than the conference schedule.

I think we need to scrap the upper-classmen 1-and-done portal transfers and maybe look at a mix of incoming freshmen and sophomore portal transfers. Forget this SR/5th year crap.

While they have experience they don't have time to gel.
01-22-2024 09:29 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2024 09:17 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  This team, as it looks now, will lose a couple of more games. That means a couple bad losses which will put the Tigers right back on the 8/9 seed line. Won't that be awesome. Fine for some, terrible for others.

There will certainly be a mass exodus of players after this year,look how many are on their last year of eligibility?
01-22-2024 09:32 AM
tigergg Offline
Heisman

(01-22-2024 09:17 AM)tigerlands Wrote:  This team, as it looks now, will lose a couple of more games. That means a couple bad losses which will put the Tigers right back on the 8/9 seed line. Won't that be awesome. Fine for some, terrible for others.
I think we go 8-4 at best and most likely 7-5 before Conference tourney.. I think we lose at UAB, at North Texas(toss up), at SMU, and FAU home and away.. Before the debacle of losing to South Florida I thought we would lose at Tulane..
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2024 09:40 AM by tigergg.)
01-22-2024 09:37 AM
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(01-22-2024 09:29 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Interesting that the tough OOC schedule ended up being easier than the conference schedule.

I think we need to scrap the upper-classmen 1-and-done portal transfers and maybe look at a mix of incoming freshmen and sophomore portal transfers. Forget this SR/5th year crap.

With the advent of the transfer portal, the new freshmen kids are seeing their opportunities are getting thinner to go to the big name programs. Those programs are filling slots with transfer players and not bringing in the kids out of high school.

I would think that this makes getting some really good high school players should be a bit easier now, so yes, Penny should consider this strategy.

He tried the young one and dones and it flopped. He is trying the transfer experienced players and it is not living up to the hype...

Time for plan "C".
01-22-2024 09:49 AM
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2024 08:44 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  This is what Memphis is under Penny Hardaway. I don’t expect anything more than an 8-11 seed in the NCAA tournament, a 1st or 2nd round exit, and then a mass exodus of players & staff.

So your sig pretty much says it all.
01-22-2024 09:55 AM
GermantownTiger Offline
Capitalism Rules!

(01-22-2024 07:57 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  I'm going to give this thread about 5-6 weeks before responding.

My sentiments exactly.

It's all about how they finish.
01-22-2024 10:49 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM

[/php]
01-22-2024 10:59 AM
3rdgenerationtiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers & Bears
(01-22-2024 09:29 AM)umbluegray Wrote:  Interesting that the tough OOC schedule ended up being easier than the conference schedule.

And what do you do when the incoming freshmen and sophomore portal players leave after the season?
01-22-2024 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.