Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams Final
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams Final
Should have had this out a week ago, but been a little busy.

Teams with 1st Loss in Bowls/Championship:
Florida State
Liberty
Washington

Teams with 2nd Loss in Bowls:
(James Madison)
Ohio State
Alabama
Texas

Percent of Teams with 1st Loss of Season
Week 0/1: 37.6% (50 of 133)
Week 2: 38.6% (32 of 83)
Week 3: 23.5% (12 of 51)
Week 4: 30.8% (12 of 39)
Week 5: 18.5% (5 of 27)
Week 6: 36.4% (8 of 22)
Week 7: 21.4% (3 of 14)
Week 8: 18.2% (2 of 11)
Week 9: 11.1% (1 of 9)
Week 10: 12.5% (1 of 8)
Week 11: 0% (0 of 7)
Week 12: 14.3% (1 of 7)
Week 13: 16.7% (1 of 6)
Week 14: 20% (1 of 5)
Bowls/Championship: 75% (3 of 4)

Fianl Number of Undefeated Teams:
1: Michigan
-We lost the other three in their bowls games and/or championship game.

Bowl Thoughts:
-The similarities between the final year of the four team College Football Playoff and the first year of it were striking. Both had the Rose and Sugar Bowls as quarterfinals leading to a national championship in Texas. Both had one of the Big Ten's major powers defeat Alabama and then go on to defeat a Pacific Northwest PAC-12 champion. Meanwhile Florida State was undefeated, but not well respected in both years. We switched out Ohio State for Michigan, Washington for Oregon, and switched the Rose and Sugar match-ups, but still really weird similarities.

-The last year of the 4 team era was a pretty interesting one. We had 7 teams at the end of the regular season who would have been in high contention for the 4 spots in other years (Ohio State was #7 this year vs. #4 last year with a fairly similar resume, Georgia would have made it most years, and Florida State would have made any other year CFP in my estimate).

-Our lists shrank by close to as much as possible during bowl season. We lost three of our four undefeated teams and 4 of what had been our 5 one loss teams. Only Georgia survived on the 1-loss list and they beat previous unbeaten Florida State to stay there.

-Going into next year and our new era, we have a lot to watch, even if we watch it differently.
1. The group of 5 race for the CFP spot seems fairly wide open. The American and the Mountain West would have an advantage in my view, but we got a completely rebuilding Conference USA champ this year so any conference getting it is definitely a chance.
2. The SEC is getting two true blue bloods including a surging Texas, while the Big Ten is adding the four most powerful from the PAC-12. The ACC and Big 12 are also growing though. How will the conference races look in the new set-ups? How many bids will each conference end up with? My guess is you still going to generally see two extra bids (beyond the champions) from the Big 12/ACC/Notre Dame (and rarely less than 1). That will leave super-powered Big Ten and SEC with 7 between them. How would those shake out?
3. Washington State and Oregon State will effectively be independents next year. How will that fair and we'll see what is leads to.

I am still not a fan of all the changes, but will try to look on with excitement. Thanks for joining me in these threads everyone.

Remaining Undefeated Teams: ACC: 0, Big Ten: 1, Conference USA: 0, PAC-12: 0, total: 1
Michigan

1-Loss Teams: ACC: 1, Big 12: 0, Big Ten: 0, Conference USA: 1, PAC-12: 1, SEC: 1, Sun Belt: 0, total: 4
Georgia
Florida State
Liberty
Washington

Remaining Winless Teams: Total: 0
none
01-18-2024 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams Final
We enjoyed an unusually high number of undefeated teams entering November. That will be much rarer with conference consolidation.
01-18-2024 11:26 AM
Garden_KC Online
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
RE: Remaining Undefeated, 1-Loss, and Winless Teams Final
Liberty I believe in 2023 had its "Hawaii" season.

It was easy to sweep through CUSA as the conference was new. More schools are now joining it and leveling up their recruiting.
01-18-2024 11:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.