Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Not O/T: USFL /XFL to Merge
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Not O/T: USFL /XFL to Merge
The combined league will have its hub I think in Texas.

EMU loses out on the practice facility arrangement they had last year.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2024 05:26 AM by emu steve.)
12-31-2023 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

knagy17 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EMU
RE: Not O/T: USL /XFL to Merge
Stings a little more now that they’re using the hub for all practices. Last year I remember Rynearson being touted as a potential location for Panther home games. Would’ve definitely attended one or two if it was. Not a chance I’m driving down to Detroit and paying for parking
01-01-2024 03:20 AM
dansplaining Online
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
RE: Not O/T: USL /XFL to Merge
CFL is better
01-01-2024 06:37 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

RE: Not O/T: USFL /XFL to Merge
(01-01-2024 06:37 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  CFL is better

You are right, despite the UFL having superior talent. The CFL has a far better infrastructure with a more dedicated staff and players. Nevertheless, the CFL and UFL do not compete directly for viewer eyes as they play during different periods. Having a superior product in fall vs one in spring is a moot issue.

The NFL is such a well-run organization. They have an absolutely FREE taxpayer funded minor league system labeled as the NCAA. The UFL is now another developmental talent stream for them that costs them zero. Great biz!
02-02-2024 06:24 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

CFL has a whopping 9 teams. Ridiculously huge field and only 3 downs, virtually no running game, goofy rules. Not for me.
02-02-2024 07:54 PM
Block_E Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Eastern
(02-02-2024 07:54 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
CFL has a whopping 9 teams. Ridiculously huge field and only 3 downs, virtually no running game, goofy rules. Not for me.

Agreed, I always wonder what made them decide that gridiron formation rules weren't weird enough already.
02-05-2024 02:32 PM
dansplaining Online
All American

(02-05-2024 02:32 PM)Block_E Wrote:  

Agreed, I always wonder what made them decide that gridiron formation rules weren't weird enough already.

Canadian football and american football evolved differently - like birds on one island vs another. It's ten times better than the UFL and pretty watchable. I love the WR running starts.
02-05-2024 02:55 PM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2024 02:55 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

Canadian football and american football evolved differently - like birds on one island vs another. It's ten times better than the UFL and pretty watchable. I love the WR running starts.
Saying that the CFL is better than the UFL is not exactly a ringing endorsement. I can't imagine how anyone could be an avid fan of one of those artificial, made for TV teams. It is totally fake football, thrown together because apparently there is this notion that America is so football crazy, they'll watch that crap. America is NFL and college football crazy only...btw, the WRs sprinting ahead of the snap in the CFL drives me crazy! And why the huge field? You could build a subdivision in the endzone alone.
02-05-2024 06:13 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-05-2024 06:13 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Saying that the CFL is better than the UFL is not exactly a ringing endorsement. I can't imagine how anyone could be an avid fan of one of those artificial, made for TV teams. It is totally fake football, thrown together because apparently there is this notion that America is so football crazy, they'll watch that crap. America is NFL and college football crazy only...btw, the WRs sprinting ahead of the snap in the CFL drives me crazy! And why the huge field? You could build a subdivision in the endzone alone.

Bob, I would respectfully disagree. I don't watch a ton of CFL football because it competes with the NCAA and NFL during their season, and it is not widely televised. I think it is more tailored for the nation it operates in than "made for TV". The CFL does not get the best athletes, but they put a competitive product on the field, similar to the football played in the MAC. I wish they played in spring, then they truly would be a "made for TV" sport that I would watch voraciously.

Your comments about the field size also ring true. I don't think there is an NFL or NCAA stadium that could accommodate a CFL game.
02-05-2024 07:42 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2024 07:42 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(02-02-2024 07:54 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  CFL has a whopping 9 teams. Ridiculously huge field and only 3 downs, virtually no running game, goofy rules. Not for me.

Bob, I would respectfully disagree. I don't watch a ton of CFL football because it competes with the NCAA and NFL during their season, and it is not widely televised. I think it is more tailored for the nation it operates in than "made for TV". The CFL does not get the best athletes, but they put a competitive product on the field, similar to the football played in the MAC. I wish they played in spring, then they truly would be a "made for TV" sport that I would watch voraciously.

Your comments about the field size also ring true. I don't think there is an NFL or NCAA stadium that could accommodate a CFL game.
Jerry, I just want to be clear. I'm calling the UFL--and previously the XFL and the later incarnation of the USFL, made for TV football leagues. Heck, they play in largely empty stadiums, like a football soundstage. The CFL is definitely a real league but my goodness, it is goofy as hell! I suppose they need to stand apart from American football, but why? If they played it straight, I'd be way more interested. All that said, gun to my head, I'd watch CFL before the UFL but that is faint praise indeed.
02-06-2024 06:25 AM
Advertisement

fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

Does the UFL make it to 2030?
02-06-2024 07:50 AM
dansplaining Online
All American

(02-06-2024 06:25 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(02-05-2024 07:42 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(02-05-2024 02:32 PM)Block_E Wrote:  Agreed, I always wonder what made them decide that gridiron formation rules weren't weird enough already.

Jerry, I just want to be clear. I'm calling the UFL--and previously the XFL and the later incarnation of the USFL, made for TV football leagues. Heck, they play in largely empty stadiums, like a football soundstage. The CFL is definitely a real league but my goodness, it is goofy as hell! I suppose they need to stand apart from American football, but why? If they played it straight, I'd be way more interested. All that said, gun to my head, I'd watch CFL before the UFL but that is faint praise indeed.

CFL has real history and real fan bases - it is reminiscent of small college football.

I love the big field and running WRs. theres a lot of offense and dudes flying around out there. and only having three downs instead of four means teams have more urgency. i watch it here and there - like i said its a watchable and entertaining product. and lets face it - EMU sends dudes to the CFL.
02-06-2024 08:10 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(02-06-2024 07:50 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  Does the UFL make it to 2030?

Depends on their financial reserves in my opinion. They need to act like a pro league with stable franchises and more pre-season prep time. That costs real $$$ to establish and you need rich, committed owners not named Donald Trump. The WFL and USFL did not have those, they tried to build a league on the cheap much like John Delorean did with DMC, selling cocaine in a desperate attempt to keep his company afloat.

My dream? The UFL starts to sniff some degree of profitability, genius Roger Godell senses a revenue opportunity and buys them out. He would then have a "minor league" of sorts. The NCAA could return to a more structured and ruled competition as their "employees" now have an avenue for professional employment besides university enrollment.
02-06-2024 09:45 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(12-31-2023 03:29 PM)emu steve Wrote:  The combined league will have its hub I think in Texas.

EMU loses out on the practice facility arrangement they had last year.

This post is in 20/20 hindsight a big nothing burger.

Doubt EMU could have hosted this year because of the turf project.
02-10-2024 06:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.