Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

As conferences get larger and larger bowl matchups will get less interesting
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: geography
As conferences get larger and larger bowl matchups will get less interesting
Bowl games are all about inter conference play but the larger the conferences get the the less potential inter conference play there is and it will get boring real fast. We have TONS of potential Big Ten vs SEC bowl matchups to look forward to in the future. YAWN.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 02:50 PM by darkdragon99.)
12-28-2023 02:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
RE: As conferences get larger and larger bowl matchups will get less interesting
Depending on scheduling format I wonder if a bowl could take advantage of that and intentionally schedule a intra-conference game that hadn't taken place in the regular season.

For instance, my TN Vols could play say Texas, Auburn, or Ole Miss and I think that would get a lot of viewers. The SEC would love getting to double dip on the money.
12-28-2023 02:58 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
RE: As conferences get larger and larger bowl matchups will get less interesting
Actually I think they could get more interesting, for instance the SEC for years has had no or very few bowl ties to the PAC. Now there's a decent chance of getting to play a West coast team with one of our multitude of B1G & ACC bowl ties instead of the same old Midwestern and North Carolina teams.
12-28-2023 03:11 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(12-28-2023 02:46 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  Bowl games are all about inter conference play but the larger the conferences get the the less potential inter conference play there is and it will get boring real fast. We have TONS of potential Big Ten vs SEC bowl matchups to look forward to in the future. YAWN.

Not boring if that is the only time the two words collide

The networks need to lean into the BIG vs SEC, Fox vs ESPN, north vs south angle
12-28-2023 03:13 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Online
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
My vote is to get the G5 champs + ranked teams all not in the CFP into a group of 8 or 9 bowls playing between Christmas and New Years Eve, and from there, have your P4 vs. P4 bowls and G5 vs. G5 bowls, no bowl tie-ins.
12-28-2023 03:37 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
The more you add schools to the P2, a lot less teams from those 2 conferences will make it into the playoffs. Same with the Big 12. You may find the left behind schools getting in more often.
12-28-2023 04:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Porcine Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas, SBC
(12-28-2023 02:58 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Depending on scheduling format I wonder if a bowl could take advantage of that and intentionally schedule a intra-conference game that hadn't taken place in the regular season.

For instance, my TN Vols could play say Texas, Auburn, or Ole Miss and I think that would get a lot of viewers. The SEC would love getting to double dip on the money.

I mentioned this on another site when the SEC went to 14, but they didn't go for it.
12-28-2023 05:39 PM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
The schools will figure this out - once there is a 12 team playoff the bowl games become the NIT and are about as interesting - I'm a huge KU fan, and watched the bowl game against UNLV, but I had a lot more interest in the B12 games during the year -

They really need to figure out a way to make these bowl games mean something again
12-28-2023 05:55 PM
goofus Online
All American

I Root For: Iowa
I must be old. When did bowls become about inter-conference scheduling. OK, yes the opponent is usually from another conference, but the interesting part was that your team was actually playing in a bowl.
12-28-2023 06:02 PM
Advertisement

darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

(12-28-2023 02:58 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  Depending on scheduling format I wonder if a bowl could take advantage of that and intentionally schedule a intra-conference game that hadn't taken place in the regular season.

I totally believe that will happen and of course it will make things even less interesting from a neutral perspective.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 06:41 PM by darkdragon99.)
12-28-2023 06:40 PM
darkdragon99 Offline
Special Teams

(12-28-2023 05:39 PM)Porcine Wrote:  

I mentioned this on another site when the SEC went to 14, but they didn't go for it.

SEC vs SEC and SEC vs Big Ten bowl matchups will just bore the piss out of neutrals anyway.
12-28-2023 06:42 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

(12-28-2023 06:42 PM)darkdragon99 Wrote:  
(12-28-2023 05:39 PM)Porcine Wrote:  

SEC vs SEC and SEC vs Big Ten bowl matchups will just bore the piss out of neutrals anyway.

I was mostly pointing out that they just wanted to whine about the SEC club getting bigger.
12-28-2023 06:59 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
Fretting over bowl matchups is about to be (if it ain't already) the equivalent of losing sleep over the format for NIT brackets
12-28-2023 07:02 PM
Advertisement

bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Non-playoff Bowls will be dead in 10+ years unless players are bribed via NIL to play in them, so there's no reason to worry about them.
12-28-2023 07:15 PM
Porcine Offline
1st String

(12-28-2023 07:15 PM)bronconick Wrote:  Non-playoff Bowls will be dead in 10+ years unless players are bribed via NIL to play in them, so there's no reason to worry about them.

As others have said, they have become pre-spring games as much as post-season games. At least it has coaches and players that want to be there even if fans don't.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 07:26 PM by Porcine.)
12-28-2023 07:22 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
Well, so many players and coaches aren't even playing/coaching in bowls this year.. Not sure how many bowls we have, high 60's? I think there were 12 or so in the 70s. At some point, the only bowl games will involve the CFP and little else..
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2023 08:04 PM by Aztecgolfer.)
12-28-2023 08:03 PM
GoBuckeyes1047 Online
1st String

I Root For: Ohio State
(12-28-2023 08:03 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  Well, so many players and coaches aren't even playing/coaching in bowls this year.. Not sure how many bowls we have, high 60's? I think there were 12 or so in the 70s. At some point, the only bowl games will involve the CFP and little else..

42, goes up to 46 postseason games with 12 team-CFP next season.
12-28-2023 10:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.