Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cut 'em off at the pass: What if the Big 12 invited UConn, USF, Memphis and SDSU now?
PeteTheChop Offline
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
Cut 'em off at the pass: What if the Big 12 invited UConn, USF, Memphis and SDSU now?
What might that do to Jim Phillips' backfill options?

Remember, Phillips was bullish and even defiant last month on the ACC's future even if some of his conference's marquee schools were to leave for greener pastures.

"If a couple want to go, they can go and it won’t take down the conference like we saw on the west coast," Phillips said. That’s not going to happen.”

If, for example, FSU and Clemson hit the door and a couple others appear headed that way as well, who does Jimbo tap for replacements to make sure the ACC has the necessary number of schools to keep ESPN "satisfied" ... ?
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023 06:41 PM by PeteTheChop.)
12-26-2023 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
RE: Cut 'em off at the pass: What if the Big 12 invited UConn, USF, Memphis and SDSU now?
(12-26-2023 06:02 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  What that might do to Jim Phillips' backfill options?

Remember, Phillips was bullish and even defiant last month on the ACC's future even if some of his conference's marquee schools were to leave for greener pastures.

"If a couple want to go, they can go and it won’t take down the conference like we saw on the west coast," Phillips said. That’s not going to happen.”

If, for example, FSU and Clemson hit the door and a couple others appear headed that way as well, who does Jimbo tap for replacements to make sure the ACC has the necessary number of schools to keep ESPN "satisfied" ... ?

Would be smart for the Big12 to add USF to cut the ACC off from Florida if Miami were to leave. I don't think you add the other schools mentioned until you know who you will get from the ACC.
12-26-2023 06:41 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
RE: Cut 'em off at the pass: What if the Big 12 invited UConn, USF, Memphis and SDSU now?
You can have 'em.
12-26-2023 06:57 PM
AztecEmpire Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SDSU
Makes no sense to add anyone until the ACC starts crumbling.
12-26-2023 07:20 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Now is a bit early in the game, but if FOX wants to make sure it has a collegiate football presence in Florida, urging the Big 12 to take USF would be a prudent move.

Florida St is going to be gone; Miami might be too. It’s going to be really hard to rebuild the ACC without a FL presence. If USF is off the board, I think it increases the likelihood that the Big 12 becomes the solo M league and that they can force the ACC remnants to join them on their own terms. Realistically, you don’t need 4 G schools to hem the ACC in. USF and UConn are probably enough and we already know Yormark likes the Huskies.
12-26-2023 08:03 PM
Big 12 fan too Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Because to reorganize the P5 down to P3, the Big 12 will need to leave room to take on P5 era legacy costs (ACC)

It’s a lot easier to unlock the ACC if 8 ACC leftovers are offered parity to ACC deal in the Big 12. It’s very unlikely top ACC programs leave ACC and ESPN extends deal at current rate. ESPN is not funding both a rump ACC and (rump) Big 12

Calford and SMU back to the street.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023 08:15 PM by Big 12 fan too.)
12-26-2023 08:11 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
Why would the Big XII make such a big mistake.

They can wait for the likes of Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse and Georgia Tech to be available once the B1G and SEC raid the ACC.

None of the schools the OP is proposing is going anywhere so what’s the incentive? Let Wake Forest and Boston College invite those schools in a rebuilt ACC. I doubt UConn would be even be interested in that. Leaving the Big East for a big unknown is a non starter for their basketball program.
12-26-2023 08:18 PM
Utgrizfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Utah, Army, Montana
I think the Big12 is smart to wait and see what happens with the ACC. I'm personally predicting 4-6 schools minimum will be snagged by the SEC and Big10:

To the Big10: Miami and FSU

To the SEC: UNC, UVA, Clemson and NC-State

After that the Big12 could literally take whoever they wanted, if they wanted to match the SEC and Big10 at 20 teams they could go with 4 ACC schools or 3 and USF.

Off the top of my head the only issue I could see is that there is a good chance that 4 current ACC schools would be seen as more valuable then USF overall:

Pitt, Louisville, GT and VT.

I think USF along with other AAC schools that are private or AAU/R1 institutions will then for sure be asked to backfill into the ACC:

Tulane, Rice, UConn, USF, Memphis
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023 08:22 PM by Utgrizfan.)
12-26-2023 08:19 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
There would be no pro-rata fir USF, UConn, Memphis, Tulane or SDSU.

Either they would have to take a SMU type deal to join the Big 12 and get no money, or other Big 12 schools would have to agree to a pay cut. Nobody is going to agree to either option.
12-26-2023 08:20 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(12-26-2023 08:03 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Now is a bit early in the game, but if FOX wants to make sure it has a collegiate football presence in Florida, urging the Big 12 to take USF would be a prudent move.

Florida St is going to be gone; Miami might be too. It’s going to be really hard to rebuild the ACC without a FL presence. If USF is off the board, I think it increases the likelihood that the Big 12 becomes the solo M league and that they can force the ACC remnants to join them on their own terms. Realistically, you don’t need 4 G schools to hem the ACC in. USF and UConn are probably enough and we already know Yormark likes the Huskies.

The SEC doesn't want Miami, just FSU and Clemson. Maybe the B1G would look at Miami but they would be behind UNC and Virginia, and hat is assuming ND stays indy. The SEC is the South and the B1G is the Northwest and West. No reason for the B1G to go into Florida which is in the SEC's wheelhouse.

Neither the B1G or the SEC are going to add any more schools who don't press all the buttons. When they finally depart the NCAA, and I think that happens by 2030, they will be looking to dump programs. FSU, Clemson, UNC, ND, Virginia all make the final P2 cut.
12-26-2023 08:24 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(12-26-2023 08:19 PM)Utgrizfan Wrote:  I think the Big12 is smart to wait and see what happens with the ACC. I'm personally predicting 4-6 schools minimum will be snagged by the SEC and Big10:

To the Big10: Miami and FSU

To the SEC: UNC, UVA, Clemson and NC-State

After that the Big12 could literally take whoever they wanted, if they wanted to match the SEC and Big10 at 20 teams they could go with 4 ACC schools or 3 and USF.

Off the top of my head the only issue I could see is that there is a good chance that 4 current ACC schools would be seen as more valuable then USF overall:

Pitt, Louisville, GT and VT.

I think USF along with other AAC schools that are private or AAU/R1 institutions will then for sure be asked to backfill into the ACC:

Tulane, Rice, UConn, USF, Memphis

I also think the ACC is going to lose probably 6 schools, albeit the list I see differs slightly from yours. That still leaves 12 ACC schools left and there’s at least 4 G schools they could rehab with, with USF being an important piece of that rehab. Take them out of the picture, and that critical FL market and recruiting ground is gone.
12-26-2023 08:36 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(12-26-2023 08:20 PM)goofus Wrote:  There would be no pro-rata fir USF, UConn, Memphis, Tulane or SDSU.

Either they would have to take a SMU type deal to join the Big 12 and get no money, or other Big 12 schools would have to agree to a pay cut. Nobody is going to agree to either option.

Right.

Why do people act like money just grows on trees and existing contracts are just hypothetical? The Big XII used up all their pro-rata additions and their deal will be up at the end of the decade.
12-26-2023 08:43 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
The next 5 non-power schools in line are (alphabetically): Connecticut, Memphis, San Diego St, South Florida, Tulane
12-27-2023 01:56 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(12-26-2023 06:02 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  What if the Big 12 invited UConn, USF, Memphis and SDSU now?

03-puke
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023 12:42 PM by C2__.)
12-27-2023 02:10 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(12-26-2023 08:03 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Now is a bit early in the game, but if FOX wants to make sure it has a collegiate football presence in Florida, urging the Big 12 to take USF would be a prudent move.

The ACC would have to hold its nose and add FAU. As its basketball program is showing, they're not a total lost cause. Some potential exists there.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2023 02:17 AM by C2__.)
12-27-2023 02:17 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
cut ACC off at the pass [USF & Conn, WSU & OSU]

ACC has more assets than B-12
1- ACC pays more money with ACCN included
2= will have billion dollar war chest
3- academics & ND
4- ESPN has more vested interest in ACC

B-10 & ACC are go after 4C & Kansas
ACC will want Cin & UCF
12-27-2023 03:13 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Big 12 is still not safe from being poached again. Oklahoma State, TCU and Kansas State and maybe Houston to the SEC is still on the option. Plus Cincinnati is a new market for the SEC as well.,
12-27-2023 04:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Wasn’t the decision to add Stanford, Cal, and SMU to the ACC in large part to have insurance in case teams left? Even if the entire Magnificent 7 left the ACC would still have 10 teams. They wouldn’t need to add anybody, so why would the B12 need proactively add 4 teams now?
12-27-2023 09:13 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
No
12-27-2023 09:14 AM
Garden_KC Offline
1st String

I Root For: Landscaping
(12-27-2023 09:13 AM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  Wasn’t the decision to add Stanford, Cal, and SMU to the ACC in large part to have insurance in case teams left? Even if the entire Magnificent 7 left the ACC would still have 10 teams. They wouldn’t need to add anybody, so why would the B12 need proactively add 4 teams now?

Exactly.
12-27-2023 09:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.