Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT starting MAC play against OU
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
UT starting MAC play against OU
Don't know how weak or strong are MAC teams this season with Akron and Kent State on top. That being said as the Rockets 6-6 entered MAC play, I am thinking they will be fortunate to go 10-8, perhaps 11-7 in the conference. Other than games played already, it's just a gut feeling how they will finished before heading into the tourney.
12-23-2023 07:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RE: UT starting MAC play against OU
(12-23-2023 07:57 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Don't know how weak or strong are MAC teams this season with Akron and Kent State on top. That being said as the Rockets 6-6 entered MAC play, I am thinking they will be fortunate to go 10-8, perhaps 11-7 in the conference. Other than games played already, it's just a gut feeling how they will finished before heading into the tourney.

It's kind of hard to figure out how MAC teams will perform once league play starts based on non conference records as strength of schedule can "skew" records both positive and negative. Toledo is one of those teams whose overall record of 6-6 can be somewhat misleading as other than the Vermont game, they have been competitive against quality competition other than Detroit. With that said, I think based on what I've seem so far, Akron with the addition of Ali Ali back into their starting lineup is the best team starting out of the gate.
12-26-2023 01:56 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-26-2023 01:56 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  
(12-23-2023 07:57 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Don't know how weak or strong are MAC teams this season with Akron and Kent State on top. That being said as the Rockets 6-6 entered MAC play, I am thinking they will be fortunate to go 10-8, perhaps 11-7 in the conference. Other than games played already, it's just a gut feeling how they will finished before heading into the tourney.

It's kind of hard to figure out how MAC teams will perform once league play starts based on non conference records as strength of schedule can "skew" records both positive and negative. Toledo is one of those teams whose overall record of 6-6 can be somewhat misleading as other than the Vermont game, they have been competitive against quality competition other than Detroit. With that said, I think based on what I've seem so far, Akron with the addition of Ali Ali back into their starting lineup is the best team starting out of the gate.

I think coach made some choices in the last two games, to play players. Those games could have been a lot closer too.

Five guys on the bench are averaging more than 10 minutes per game. I like this strategy as the best hope that the bench will gel and give the missing pieces necessary to get through the match-ups. If someone other than the Moss/Maddox/Cochran start showing up in the pt/rb/assists stats, I'll be excited about the team's chances of winning three.

If nothing else, at least it's trying something different than what didn't get them over the hump the last few seasons.
12-26-2023 04:02 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

(12-26-2023 04:02 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

I think coach made some choices in the last two games, to play players. Those games could have been a lot closer too.

Five guys on the bench are averaging more than 10 minutes per game. I like this strategy as the best hope that the bench will gel and give the missing pieces necessary to get through the match-ups. If someone other than the Moss/Maddox/Cochran start showing up in the pt/rb/assists stats, I'll be excited about the team's chances of winning three.

If nothing else, at least it's trying something different than what didn't get them over the hump the last few seasons.

I think this is correct. They might be young, kinda short, but this is the best bench we've had in a while. Let's see who can do what.

This was a tough schedule, it will pay off. Conference play might help Wilson more than anyone. He went against some tough dudes.
12-26-2023 08:05 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-26-2023 08:05 PM)Screwball Wrote:  

I think this is correct. They might be young, kinda short, but this is the best bench we've had in a while. Let's see who can do what.

This was a tough schedule, it will pay off. Conference play might help Wilson more than anyone. He went against some tough dudes.

There is still a lot of experimenting going on throughout the league - Aside from Akron - to the point teams 2-3-4-5 could be anyone. I remember seeing an old MAC standings, - I forget the year - that had about half the league with the same conference record causing a big cluster trying to figure out MAC Tournament pairings.

We could be headed in that same direction this year.
12-29-2023 04:19 PM
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

(12-29-2023 04:19 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

There is still a lot of experimenting going on throughout the league - Aside from Akron - to the point teams 2-3-4-5 could be anyone. I remember seeing an old MAC standings, - I forget the year - that had about half the league with the same conference record causing a big cluster trying to figure out MAC Tournament pairings.

One break Toledo got with the early MAC Basketball Schedule is that they play 2 of the first 3 games on the Road with Students still on Winter Break. Games at Ohio and Kent St will obviously still be tough challenges, but not having Students at The Convo and Memorial Center helps!
12-30-2023 12:14 PM
Advertisement

WHRocket Offline
2nd String

(12-29-2023 04:19 PM)cleveland Wrote:  

How about 1980-1981 men’s basketball season. 5 way tie for first place, all with a 10-6 league record.
12-30-2023 02:14 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

OU (6-5) has a 40-33 HT lead over A-10 foe Davidson (9-3) in Athens. Davidson coming into this game has victories over Maryland 64-61 (neutral), Wright St. 82-73 at home, and at home to Miami Oh. 79-61.

OU is lead by guard Jaylon Hunter at 14/game, with Elmore at 12/game. They play small like UT, with Hunter at 6-0, Mitchell 6-1, Elmore 6-3, Clayton at 6-8 and AJ Brown 6-4. Their bench is giving them good minutes with good production as they go 10 deep.
12-30-2023 02:47 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

OU game against Davidson is in Cleveland at the Rocket Mortgage fieldhouse.
12-30-2023 03:17 PM
pono Online
Heisman

I Root For:
OU shows how to lose. I watched the last minute and here's OU's possessions/shots.

2 missed free throws
missed layup
made layup and 1
missed wide open 4 footer
missed layup
1 of 2 free throws
1 of 2 free throws
70 foot buzzer beater off the back rim.

Davidson kept missing free throws to give them a chance.
12-30-2023 03:50 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

OU lost 69-72 to the Wildcats, going down the stretch, they missed too many FT's as they held leads of 5 points with a little over 4 mins to play. Although OU plays small, they can bring 2 bigs ( into the game, soph.6-8 Hadaway, 16 mins/gm ave 5.3, 3.3 Rbs and senior 6-11 Wiznitzer, 14.6 mins a game, 4.1 per game, 3.8 Rb's (transfer from Louisville) off the bench for size. OU returns 11 players from last year's team. Starter guard Shereef Mitchell, 13.6 per game is a graduate transfer from Creighton.
12-30-2023 03:59 PM
Advertisement

bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(12-30-2023 03:50 PM)pono Wrote:  OU shows how to lose. I watched the last minute and here's OU's possessions/shots.

2 missed free throws
missed layup
made layup and 1
missed layup
1 of 2 free throws
1 of 2 free throws

Unfortunately, for us, that's pretty much how our six losses have gone this year. We have had leads in all of our losses, but somehow (see above) we manage to lose all six, by four points, five points in double OT, six points, five points, four points, and three points. And now we have lost one of our best players for the year. We have lost four straight games to Division I teams, and you are getting us at home with the students on break. Ugh.
12-30-2023 04:02 PM
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

(12-30-2023 04:02 PM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  
(12-30-2023 03:50 PM)pono Wrote:  OU shows how to lose. I watched the last minute and here's OU's possessions/shots.

2 missed free throws
missed layup
made layup and 1
missed layup
1 of 2 free throws
1 of 2 free throws

Unfortunately, for us, that's pretty much how our six losses have gone this year. We have had leads in all of our losses, but somehow (see above) we manage to lose all six, by four points, five points in double OT, six points, five points, four points, and three points. And now we have lost one of our best players for the year. We have lost four straight games to Division I teams, and you are getting us at home with the students on break. Ugh.

Tough losing AJ Brown to Shoulder Surgery after a very good Freshman Season last year. Was averageing 9ppg. before getting hurt.
(This post was last modified: 12-30-2023 04:21 PM by Basketball Jones.)
12-30-2023 04:19 PM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2023 04:19 PM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  
(12-30-2023 04:02 PM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  

2 missed free throws
missed layup
made layup and 1
missed layup
1 of 2 free throws
1 of 2 free throws

Tough losing AJ Brown to Shoulder Surgery after a very good Freshman Season last year. Was averageing 9ppg. before getting hurt.

Indeed!
12-30-2023 04:23 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Hey Bobcat backer, I do like the soph Hadaway, the way he plays and the energy he brings to the court.
12-30-2023 07:23 PM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2023 07:23 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  Hey Bobcat backer, I do like the soph Hadaway, the way he plays and the energy he brings to the court.

yeah we have some young talent and hopefully they will put it all together soon. they are just on the verge of getting some good wins, but mistakes are keeping them from doing that.
01-02-2024 04:14 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
O/U at 160 tonight. Toledo gives up 80 routinely so something tells me that's low. Did we figure out the rotation and defense in the past 10 days? Is Coach K practicing what he preaches when he says "we need to change some things up going into conference play."? We will know more after the next 4 so games. Any win on the road is a good win. But I wouldn't bet that Ohio or UT is a top 4 MAC team with each squads lack of consistency... thru January 2nd.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2024 05:43 PM by UofToledoFans.)
01-02-2024 05:42 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

Might as well make this the game thread unless someone wants to do otherwise.

Looks like the game is on ESPNU tonight.

Should be interesting. Coach K said he gave them too much time off during exam week. Wonder about this week. Haven't played for a while.

Let's get this done.
01-02-2024 06:21 PM
RocketBBallFan Offline
1st String

Game starting on ESPNews. It should switch over to ESPNU eventually
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2024 07:01 PM by RocketBBallFan.)
01-02-2024 07:00 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
Looks like Grgur is dressed in street clothes tonight.
01-02-2024 07:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.