UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

...too soon to be thinking UAB to the ACC?
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
...too soon to be thinking UAB to the ACC?
...with FSU having an emergency meeting tomorrow, things are happening, and the $$$$ may be 'do-able' for FSU (and others) to break out of the ACC in the next 2-3 years...

...with that, the BLAZER angle is... if the ACC survives and requires 'replenishing', where do we fit in the 'pecking order'? I figure Memphis, Tulane, etc... would be top candidates for the ACC, but... are we positioned to join them? ANY info on whether there have been any 'due diligence' from our AD? 03-phew
12-21-2023 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

RE: ...too soon to be thinking UAB to the ACC?
We have so much work to do. That’s why it stinks that we peaked in 2019.
12-21-2023 03:55 PM
CyberBlazer Offline
2nd String

Ditto:
With the way UAB is performing (nonperforming) this year, maybe the Sunbelt when the AAC implodes
12-21-2023 04:07 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(12-21-2023 03:42 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...with FSU having an emergency meeting tomorrow, things are happening, and the $$$$ may be 'do-able' for FSU (and others) to break out of the ACC in the next 2-3 years...

...with that, the BLAZER angle is... if the ACC survives and requires 'replenishing', where do we fit in the 'pecking order'? I figure Memphis, Tulane, etc... would be top candidates for the ACC, but... are we positioned to join them? ANY info on whether there have been any 'due diligence' from our AD? 03-phew

When the first FSU rumblings started in September, it was reported by legitimate sources (SI) that the ACC had begun vetting six potential new schools in their order of preference.

Those were (in order)
1. Tulane
2. USF
3. Memphis
4. UAB
5. East Carolina
6. Tulsa
12-21-2023 06:00 PM
blazerjay Offline

Donators
(12-21-2023 04:07 PM)CyberBlazer Wrote:  Ditto:
With the way UAB is performing (nonperforming) this year, maybe the Sunbelt when the AAC implodes

Good thing that conferences don't look at a single season of results when vetting potential members.
12-21-2023 06:01 PM
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

(12-21-2023 06:00 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 03:42 PM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...with FSU having an emergency meeting tomorrow, things are happening, and the $$$$ may be 'do-able' for FSU (and others) to break out of the ACC in the next 2-3 years...

When the first FSU rumblings started in September, it was reported by legitimate sources (SI) that the ACC had begun vetting six potential new schools in their order of preference.

Those were (in order)
1. Tulane
2. USF
3. Memphis
4. UAB
5. East Carolina
6. Tulsa

Yup.
12-21-2023 08:18 PM
Advertisement

Rell Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama-Birmingham
I really hope so..
12-21-2023 08:26 PM
CyberBlazer Offline
2nd String

(12-21-2023 06:01 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 04:07 PM)CyberBlazer Wrote:  Ditto:

Good thing that conferences don't look at a single season of results when vetting potential members.

Amen to that 01-ncaabbs
12-21-2023 08:29 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Aw come on. It’s much better to think the worst case scenario
12-21-2023 08:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

...it's official that FSU is challenging the ACC GOR in the courts - it appears there are 'loopholes' in the GOR, which is 'under lock and key', thus nobody really knows what it says, save for a few 'representatives'... main thing is that ESPN has the option to 'kill off' the ACC Network after 2027, although the GOR is until 2036 or something...

BACK to UAB - I thought I remembered we were on a 'short list', so that's cool... but if the ACC 'blows up' a'la the PAC, may not be much to jump to... an ACC/AAC merger is most likely?
12-22-2023 11:55 AM
rook360 Offline
All American

(12-22-2023 11:55 AM)GreenFreakUAB Wrote:  ...it's official that FSU is challenging the ACC GOR in the courts - it appears there are 'loopholes' in the GOR, which is 'under lock and key', thus nobody really knows what it says, save for a few 'representatives'... main thing is that ESPN has the option to 'kill off' the ACC Network after 2027, although the GOR is until 2036 or something...

BACK to UAB - I thought I remembered we were on a 'short list', so that's cool... but if the ACC 'blows up' a'la the PAC, may not be much to jump to... an ACC/AAC merger is most likely?

the AAACC 03-lmfao

it shows 6 teams being vetted. So I take it they expect 4-6 teams jumping ship and needing others to fill the void? Would be nice to see SMU again and not have to spend as much as they did.
12-22-2023 12:28 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
There is likely going to be some combination of Georgia Tech, BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Duke, Wake, Louisville, plus the incoming schools left. I can't see a full on merger if the ACC remains that large. I also question if the BOT would allow a move to the ACC if that became a real possibility.
12-22-2023 12:34 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Not knowing what the ACC will do, the ACC probably couldn’t tell you what they would do. But if the AAC gets raided, and ECU isn’t in that list, the SBC will be pretty happy to have them, even though they have LaTech level douche baggery in their fan base.

The AAC could be the next conference on their death bed. Good luck to you guys, to have some of those basketball schools on y’all’s schedule would be a nice get after years of dealing with that last rendition of CUSA y’all were in.
12-22-2023 12:43 PM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
The suit was filed in Leon County circuit and they petitioned for a declaratory judgment. There’s no way the ACC won’t ask for a change of venue and they’ll probably ask that the suit be moved to federal court since the ramifications will literally extend from New England to Miami.

I feel pretty sure the schools on the initial vetting list have been war gaming scenarios as has the involved conferences
12-22-2023 12:49 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I've heard for several years now how the ACC's Grant of Rights is basically bulletproof legally. Many schools have hired legal help who decided that it was not doable to break that contract in court. FSU is going to try it, and they're also looking at using an investment firm to fund buying themselves out. If it actually costs them $572m to buy their way out as ESPN says, that's 19 years of that $30m difference in funding between the ACC and the Big Two - plus legal and financing fees. Add that so far as I know there has been no public interest shown by the SEC or the B1G in taking them if they get out. Are they going to try going independent? That works for Notre Dame but they have a built in nationwide audience that FSU does not.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...drawal-fee
12-22-2023 12:52 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

Florida State to AAC
[Image: tenor.gif]
12-22-2023 01:06 PM
Advertisement

GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(12-22-2023 01:06 PM)C-Finder Wrote:  Florida State to AAC
[Image: tenor.gif]

04-rock ...well, there IS the Jimbo connection... no matter how weak... 03-drunk
12-22-2023 01:21 PM
GreenFreakUAB Offline
All American

(12-22-2023 12:52 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I've heard for several years now how the ACC's Grant of Rights is basically bulletproof legally. Many schools have hired legal help who decided that it was not doable to break that contract in court. FSU is going to try it, and they're also looking at using an investment firm to fund buying themselves out. If it actually costs them $572m to buy their way out as ESPN says, that's 19 years of that $30m difference in funding between the ACC and the Big Two - plus legal and financing fees. Add that so far as I know there has been no public interest shown by the SEC or the B1G in taking them if they get out. Are they going to try going independent? That works for Notre Dame but they have a built in nationwide audience that FSU does not.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...drawal-fee

...the B1G is the destination, and the B1G is VERY interested in planting a flag deep in $EC-Land... ...and FSU has burnt the bridge with the SEC/ESPN, as the GOR info has been 'daylighted', thus creating 'holiday work' for the good folks in Bristol... B1G is of course Fox/NBC, with a smidge of ESPN, so... I think the 'overt' anti-FSU rhetoric by ESPN talking heads post-playoff reveal now makes sense, and hints that FSU was burning that bridge to Bristol well before...

P.S. -thanks for the link!
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2023 01:30 PM by GreenFreakUAB.)
12-22-2023 01:28 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
(12-22-2023 12:52 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Add that so far as I know there has been no public interest shown by the SEC or the B1G in taking them if they get out.

This has been my thought as well. The SEC has seemed disinterested in further expansion. I don't think the Big 10 has much either. They thinking of going to the Big XII? They could end up being like someone who breaks up with their girlfriend thinking he's got better options, only to be sitting a home alone on a Saturday night, naked on a bean bag chair eating Cheetos.
12-22-2023 01:31 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
(12-22-2023 12:49 PM)biglizard Wrote:  The suit was filed in Leon County circuit and they petitioned for a declaratory judgment. There’s no way the ACC won’t ask for a change of venue and they’ll probably ask that the suit be moved to federal court since the ramifications will literally extend from New England to Miami.

I feel pretty sure the schools on the initial vetting list have been war gaming scenarios as has the involved conferences

Change of venue, no. Only reason that's done is due to the potential of not finding impartial jurors. A dec judgement action is equity, so there is no jury.

Removal to federal court? Possibly. You're right that this impacts parties spread over multiple states. It's been a long time since I looked at much of anything related to civil procedure, but I do remember there has to be "complete diversity." There is another ACC institution in Florida, so that might affect the ability to remove. I would also note that all the Pac 12 litigation never got removed to federal court, it stayed in Washington state court.
12-22-2023 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.