Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hawai'i Bowl: Coastal Carolina vs. San José State (Dec. 23rd @ 10:30pEST on ESPN)
Bookmark and Share
El Chanto Offline
1st String

I Root For: CoastalCarolina
Hawai'i Bowl: Coastal Carolina vs. San José State (Dec. 23rd @ 10:30pEST on ESPN)
[Image: 2023-EHB-Match-Up.png]

Official bowl site here

This is the 20th edition of this bowl! The bowl game was created in 2002 after the hometown Rainbow Warriors finished the 2001 season with a 9-3 record and were not invited to a bowl game. The University of Hawai’i has participated in the bowl a record nine times.
For just the fifth time in the bowl’s history, the game will be played outside its traditional Christmas Eve slot.

While this is the first time for Coastal and San José State being in this bowl, SJS plays Hawai'i every year as a member of the Mountain West and the Spartans were last in this stadium on October 28th when they blanked the Rainbow Warriors 35-0.

We're both 7-5 but San José State's feeling the momentum more! The Spartans absolutely crushed a top 25 ranked Fresno State on the road 42-18, took care of San Diego State 24-13 at home, and beat Mountain West championship game participant UNLV in Vegas 37-31 in their final three games of the regular season to extend a six-game winning streak.

The Spartans will be making their 13th all-time bowl appearance and third under seventh-year head coach Brent Brennan. The Chanticleers are bowl bound for the fourth consecutive season. We lost to the Flamin' Pool Boys in overtime our first bowl appearance in 2020; got our first bowl win the next year back at the Cure Bowl with a victory over Northern Illinois; and were absolutely smoked by another hated rival East Carolina in Birmingham last year after Jamey Chadwell found Jesus and a lot of money elsewhere; so fingers crossed we can even up our record at 2-2 this bowl season.

More info that puts CCU at a perceived disadvantage in this match-up:
SJSU quarterback Chevan Cordeiro, a First-Team All-Mountain West quarterback, is a Honolulu native and played at Hawai'i for three seasons before transferring to San José State for the last two years and will be playing in his final college football game. Four other Spartans prepped at Hawai'i high schools including kicker Kyler Halvorsen who also transferred from Hawai'i, plus Brennan was an assistant coach at Hawai'i and worked under legendary coach Dick Tomey at SJSU. Brennan’s cousin is Hawai'i legend the late Colt Brennan and defensive line coach Joe Seumalo also grew up in the 50th state.

Okay, now something to hang our teal-colored hats on:
The Chanticleers are one of 12 bowl eligible teams from the Sun Belt, which leads all FBS conferences. Coastal is one of the nation’s winningest programs since the start of the 2020 season with a 38-12 mark. Wide receiver Sam Pinckney holds the Sun Belt record for career receiving yards and the NCAA record for consecutive games with a reception. Grayson McCall said he intends to play in this game so hopefully he's ready and leaves our program with a bowl win.

Mountain West teams have appeared in every Hawai‘i Bowl since 2012 and have won four times. The Sun Belt will be making its Hawai‘i Bowl debut.

The Hawai‘i Bowl is known for its high scoring, thrilling offenses, and close games with two overtime contests and seven games decided by one touchdown or less.
12-05-2023 10:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

El Chanto Offline
1st String

RE: Hawai'i Bowl: Coastal Carolina vs. San José State (Dec. 23rd @ 10:30pEST on ESPN)
12-05-2023 11:03 AM
El Chanto Offline
1st String

RE: Hawai'i Bowl: Coastal Carolina vs. San José State (Dec. 23rd @ 10:30pEST on ESPN)
12-09-2023 05:50 PM
El Chanto Offline
1st String

12-13-2023 03:28 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
Coastal, y'all need to explain that photo. You know which one.
12-19-2023 10:15 PM
MOTIAW Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(12-19-2023 10:15 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  Coastal, y'all need to explain that photo. You know which one.

Was terrible decision making/lack of anyone pausing to question, in attempt to seem… “current/cool”?? I can only guess. Just know there are some of our base that definitely didn’t approve or appreciate.
12-20-2023 05:43 AM
Advertisement

rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
12-20-2023 06:55 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

Clay Travis is a scumbag of the highest order. Of course he would jump on it.

I haven't seen any outrage over the photo. It's all been "boo, keep it up, cancel culture strikes again, 'Murica!" or "yeah I can how an administrator wouldn't want their coach to look like a sugar daddy."

The issue was the implications of being unseemly, even if nothing was.

The worst people are the ones judging the women.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2023 08:06 PM by T-Dog.)
12-20-2023 08:05 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
I really don't see why anyone would be offended over that photo.
12-20-2023 08:50 PM
Trojanbybirth Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Troy University
(12-20-2023 08:05 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  The worst people are the ones judging the women.

WTF? I gave them all perfect 10s.
12-20-2023 09:38 PM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
only thing offensive about that pic is the mascot is wearing CROCS WITH SOCKS IN THE WATER

05-ban
12-20-2023 11:40 PM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Turn on your tv and you see skimpier things than that. Just watch one the many housewives shows. BTW I don't but they advertise them.
12-21-2023 09:53 AM
hapapp Offline
Special Teams

Nothing wrong with the picture per se, but its probably not a good luck for the coach. Sort of amazed at the people who think the photo was inappropriate because of the females. I'm pretty sure the problem was the coach front and center. Simply from a PR standpoint one can understand why Coastal deleted it.
12-21-2023 02:22 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(12-20-2023 11:40 PM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  only thing offensive about that pic is the mascot is wearing CROCS WITH SOCKS IN THE WATER

05-ban

It's those human legs holding up a chicken-man that I find most disquieting.

I'm sure it'll all be forgotten in like two days. The endless cycle of outrage/anger-about-outrage/justification-of-outrage/justification-of-anger-about-outrage/etc. is exhausting.

EDIT: And for the record, I take no offense to the photo but completely get why the school wouldn't want it as the only photo a lot of people are ever going to notice of Tim Beck.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 02:49 PM by Pounce FTW.)
12-21-2023 02:48 PM
Eagleyed Offline
1st String

I Root For: USM
Coastal shouldn't have taken it down. The few outrage media people now think they are in the right because they took the photo down.
12-21-2023 09:15 PM
MOTIAW Offline
1st String

I Root For: Coastal Carolina
(12-21-2023 02:22 PM)hapapp Wrote:  Nothing wrong with the picture per se, but its probably not a good luck for the coach. Sort of amazed at the people who think the photo was inappropriate because of the females. I'm pretty sure the problem was the coach front and center. Simply from a PR standpoint one can understand why Coastal deleted it.

This ^^ 100%. No one has to agree or disagree with exactly the “what or why” they feel the pic was/wasn’t appropriate. But today, you have to pause and think sometimes. Of ALL places, a Barstool account got it right, and I was gonna say of ALL people it was the App St account, but now we have a second App St fan recognizing it, so maybe y’all deserve my apology for assuming… clearly, you’re at least two fans deeper in forethought than our staff.

From @NeersBarstool (minus the pic):
“The whole dance team put on that bikini AND Chauncey put on the costume AND Tim Beck took his shirt off AND he put that chain on AND they all walked down to the beach to snap the photo AND the SID typed out the tweet and nobody was like “you know what guys this might play poorly”.

Outside of what you believe, it’s still just a terrible awareness, as we are prepping for the bowl game, which is what should be being talked about… the players’ experiences (which ironically… now… we are finally posting social media pics of the players…), the hype, the working hard from Hawaii to deal with signing day… some of those have been put up, but this is front and center… and now followed by the now necessary (since it was removed and now needed spoken too) posted HC Tim Beck “statement” that’ll take us right up to the game.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2023 06:53 AM by MOTIAW.)
12-22-2023 06:50 AM
Advertisement

El Chanto Offline
1st String

(12-21-2023 09:15 PM)Eagleyed Wrote:  Coastal shouldn't have taken it down. The few outrage media people now think they are in the right because they took the photo down.

[Image: phil-hartman-ed-mc-mahon-snl.gif]
12-22-2023 06:15 PM
SkullyMaroo Online

I Root For: South Alabama
1. Regardless if the pic is acceptable or not, I would hate my team to have taken a pic that even had questions as to its acceptability. It’s a terrible look especially when you hear stories coming from coaches like Hugh Freeze, Chip Lindsey, Mark Hudspeth, and Bobby Petrino.
2. Political posts and those responding to them have been removed. This board is not the place for that.
12-22-2023 06:53 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
(12-22-2023 06:53 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  1. Regardless if the pic is acceptable or not, I would hate my team to have taken a pic that even had questions as to its acceptability. It’s a terrible look especially when you hear stories coming from coaches like Hugh Freeze, Chip Lindsey, Mark Hudspeth, and Bobby Petrino.
2. Political posts and those responding to them have been removed. This board is not the place for that.

You seem to have left one of those political posts up. But it's sort of a critique from a neo-leftist point of view so I guess it's the correct one.
12-22-2023 11:04 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Good luck Chants. SBC is on a winning streak!
12-23-2023 10:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.