Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Defining Play of the Season
Bookmark and Share
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Maybe it hasn't happened yet. :D I've my own ideas. But pick one. No cheating, lol.

Which play so far has best defined the season for you? Why?
12-01-2023 08:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Probably the 4th and 2 for the winning td at Bg.
12-01-2023 08:21 PM
rockytop Offline
1st String

RE: Defining Play of the Season
(12-01-2023 08:21 PM)adunifon Wrote:  Probably the 4th and 2 for the winning td at Bg.

No doubt.
12-01-2023 09:55 PM
JCannon21 Offline
Special Teams

Besides that one, I also like McDonald pick 6 for what would be the final score of the game in the come from behind victory vs San Jose. First real test after Illinois let down, so had that game gone the other way, gotta imagine a rather demoralized squad.
12-01-2023 11:17 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
The fourth down catch by Illini receiver that may well have cost us a NYD bowl game. Like the ND football and basketball games-always just a little short.
12-02-2023 06:34 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-02-2023 06:34 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  The fourth down catch by Illini receiver that may well have cost us a NYD bowl game. Like the ND football and basketball games-always just a little short.

Unfortunately, this is the other side of the coin.

To me it's the two 4th downs, BG and Illinois, that define the season.
12-02-2023 08:39 AM
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-01-2023 08:21 PM)adunifon Wrote:  Probably the 4th and 2 for the winning td at Bg.
100%. Last year was different. We won the championship, but to me it's tainted because we blew it against BG. If we win this year, it's just sweeter.

Last year it was Gleason vs EMU 4th and long.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
12-02-2023 08:47 AM
toledobigmike Offline
1st String

For…Stuart game winning TD v BG.
Against…Illinois 4th down conversion that led to their game winning FG.
…thus far…
12-02-2023 10:56 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

For me, all mentioned so far stand out. The one I see best in my head, I mentioned it on a game thread. I think Miami?

Finn dropped back in pocket. Subtle moves, back and forth, keeping his blockers between him and the defenders. All while looking downfield. Completed a beautiful pass. I got Grad vibes.

Someone must have a Peny moment?
12-02-2023 12:00 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

The combination tackle on the Miami full back inside the Rockets five yard; Bauer on the initial stop with Hook blasting the ball loose and recovering the fumble kept rhe RedHawks was scoring the go ahead TD.
12-02-2023 02:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Chris McDonald's pick 6 against SJSU. Defense bails out an underperforming Rocket Offense that could only put 14 points on the board.
12-03-2023 08:55 AM
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-03-2023 08:55 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Chris McDonald's pick 6 against SJSU. Defense bails out an underperforming Rocket Offense that could only put 14 points on the board.

I agree. That win now looks like our best quality win of the season. San Jose State really turned it up a few notches in the second half of their season & imo deserved to be in their conference championship game (even though the Mountain West computer disagreed). Would not want to be whomever gets to play them in a bowl game.
12-03-2023 09:02 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-03-2023 09:02 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 08:55 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Chris McDonald's pick 6 against SJSU. Defense bails out an underperforming Rocket Offense that could only put 14 points on the board.

I agree. That win now looks like our best quality win of the season. San Jose State really turned it up a few notches in the second half of their season & imo deserved to be in their conference championship game (even though the Mountain West computer disagreed). Would not want to be whomever gets to play them in a bowl game.

SJSU is playing Coastal Carolina in Hawaii.
UNLV in Arizona could be a possibility.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 09:21 AM by Boca Rocket.)
12-03-2023 09:16 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Targeting call on Culpepper defines the season
12-03-2023 09:48 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-03-2023 09:48 AM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Targeting call on Culpepper defines the season

That hurt, but it didn’t cost us the game. We had the MAC coach of the year, the MAC MVP, the MAC offensive player of the year, and 2 MAC first-testers on the O line. We lost because none of those guys showed up, not because 1 guy got thrown out.
12-03-2023 09:59 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-03-2023 09:59 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 09:48 AM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Targeting call on Culpepper defines the season

That hurt, but it didn’t cost us the game. We had the MAC coach of the year, the MAC MVP, the MAC offensive player of the year, and 2 MAC first-testers on the O line. We lost because none of those guys showed up, not because 1 guy got thrown out.

+1,000
12-03-2023 10:44 AM
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

Yeah. The mismatch of Miam's defense vs Toledo's offensive line was the biggest problem. Miami's defense played as advertised. They were in Toledo's backfield all day and ready to stuff any attempts to run to the outside. Finn had no time and Boone had few holes. The rest was a bonus for Miami. Culpepper exiting the game, Thomas being banged up, and the special teams disasters just added to it. I'm not sure if any QB could have done much with that much pressure all day, and when Finn is under pressure, he tends to throw off of his back foot. About the only thing I saw on offense that might have helped, would have been concentrating more on pounding the ball and trying to lean on Miami's defense live, instead of wasting time running to the outside. I think Toledo's O line improved from last year to this year, but obviously it was not significant. Championships are won in the trenches, whether it is the MAC Championship or the SEC Championship.
12-03-2023 11:04 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(12-03-2023 11:04 AM)falconplucker Wrote:  Yeah. The mismatch of Miam's defense vs Toledo's offensive line was the biggest problem. Miami's defense played as advertised. They were in Toledo's backfield all day and ready to stuff any attempts to run to the outside. Finn had no time and Boone had few holes. The rest was a bonus for Miami. Culpepper exiting the game, Thomas being banged up, and the special teams disasters just added to it. I'm not sure if any QB could have done much with that much pressure all day, and when Finn is under pressure, he tends to throw off of his back foot. About the only thing I saw on offense that might have helped, would have been concentrating more on pounding the ball and trying to lean on Miami's defense live, instead of wasting time running to the outside. I think Toledo's O line improved from last year to this year, but obviously it was not significant. Championships are won in the trenches, whether it is the MAC Championship or the SEC Championship.

Seemed like UT could have run quick outs all day to help open up the inside run game.
12-03-2023 11:46 AM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
Or a 3 step drop with a downfield pass on one on one coverage. Finn tends to overthrow so the success rate is low but a few long gains or touchdowns might’ve taken some pressure off the line of scrimmage
12-03-2023 12:14 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

According to announcers, there appeared one play Peny was visibly upset and yelling over to the sidelines objecting to these runs to the outside. He wanted to pound it. that might only have been their interpretation. He was obviously upset about something.
12-03-2023 01:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.