Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC dropping divisions for next year
Bookmark and Share
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
https://x.com/chrisvannini/status/173030...qsyn5erw5A

There will be four pods of three teams who will play each other every year.

MAC article:

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2023/11/...model.aspx
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023 02:16 PM by HuskieDave.)
11-30-2023 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
RE: MAC dropping divisions for next year
Our pod is with Bowling Green and Toledo.

https://x.com/chrisvannini/status/173030...qsyn5erw5A
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023 02:23 PM by HuskieDave.)
11-30-2023 02:22 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Love it, great idea. The division concept has always been dumb anyway.
11-30-2023 02:36 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
It’s kinda weird we aren’t with Ball State, but when you look at the math it makes sense. Devastating blow to the “non-rivals” gag from Toledo fans though.
11-30-2023 03:03 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
(11-30-2023 03:03 PM)7 Wrote:  It’s kinda weird we aren’t with Ball State, but when you look at the math it makes sense. Devastating blow to the “non-rivals” gag from Toledo fans though.

LOL
11-30-2023 03:13 PM
nbcards Offline
Special Teams

Seems weird to not have ball state every year but oh well.

Buffalo, Akron, Kent State
Ohio, Miami, Ball State
Toledo, Bowling Green, NIU
EMU, CMU, WMU
11-30-2023 03:26 PM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Good, the West division has been better than the East for a long time. I'm not going through all the seasons to figure out the win-loss record but I would not be surprised if West division won 65-70% of the regular season games over the East the last decade. MAC West has won 7 of last 10 MAC Championships.

This year the West went 11-7 vs East and I don't think the West division was any good outside of Toledo. In the 2021 season, the West was 14-4 vs East division (15-4 if you add MACC game).
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023 04:47 PM by epasnoopy.)
11-30-2023 04:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
How is the MAC title game chosen? Ties, etc.... That 21' season would have been a doozie to figure out who played.
11-30-2023 05:10 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

Have no idea how the top 2 will be determined. Seems like schedules have the potential to be very unbalanced.
11-30-2023 05:27 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(11-30-2023 05:27 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Have no idea how the top 2 will be determined. Seems like schedules have the potential to be very unbalanced.

Akron, Kent State, and Buffalo. I'd call that the easy pod, no doubt.

NIU, Toledo, and BG is probably the toughest of the pods. Obviously they grouped BG and Toledo because of their rivalry.
11-30-2023 05:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I love this. And the 4 pods are perfect.
11-30-2023 05:35 PM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(11-30-2023 05:27 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Have no idea how the top 2 will be determined. Seems like schedules have the potential to be very unbalanced.

What do you mean here? The two teams with the two best records will play in Detroit. The pods only control two of your conference games, there’s still 6 other games that get scheduled every year. It’s no more unbalanced than the West/East has traditionally been.

I think NIU is probably in the toughest pod, but at least our season isn’t over if we lose to Toledo anymore.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023 05:57 PM by 7.)
11-30-2023 05:56 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

(11-30-2023 05:56 PM)7 Wrote:  

What do you mean here? The two teams with the two best records will play in Detroit. The pods only control two of your conference games, there’s still 6 other games that get scheduled every year. It’s no more unbalanced than the West/East has traditionally been.

I think NIU is probably in the toughest pod, but at least our season isn’t over if we lose to Toledo anymore.

Im sure the formula to determine tie breakers will make sense but it could get messy. Just last year you had one 6-1 team followed by FOUR 5-3 teams. One of the big tie breakers was division record. That's gone. Using OOC record isn't fair. Be interesting to see what they have come up with.
11-30-2023 07:33 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I would have preferred they left it the way it was.
11-30-2023 07:41 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(11-30-2023 07:33 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

Im sure the formula to determine tie breakers will make sense but it could get messy. Just last year you had one 6-1 team followed by FOUR 5-3 teams. One of the big tie breakers was division record. That's gone. Using OOC record isn't fair. Be interesting to see what they have come up with.

Probably head to head and then record vs common opponents
11-30-2023 07:48 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Don’t like the fact you are much less likely in controlling your own destiny against teams you play. If # teams = # conf games like it used to for nearly every conference makes sense.

I don’t think we make MACC in 2018. We split vs Miami and Ohio, Miami beat us and Ohio.
11-30-2023 09:05 PM
Advertisement

DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

My thought was if scheduling is pod-driven, using say Ohio as an example, it’s much easier drawing the Akron/Kent/Buffalo pod as part of the rest of the schedule as opposed to the NIU/BG/Toledo pod. That would be an advantage.

Just not sure how they’ll round out the rest of the conference schedule, if that makes sense.
11-30-2023 09:12 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

This comment from the Toledo board is hilarious:

E: New Schedule for football
Is there some doubt that the division system isn't pitting the two best teams against in the MACC?

And how is an Illinois school a rival as opposed to another Ohio school? Who decided that? Was that just NIU pushing an agenda as seemed to happen on these boards or was that some sort of coordinated effort by theirs and our athletic departments? Noone gets excited for the pagentry and the brother against brother of a game against NIU. There's no competition for students. No competition for academics. No competition for access to the highway. It's the dumbest made-up POS the university could get involved with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
11-30-2023 09:42 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(11-30-2023 09:42 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  This comment from the Toledo board is hilarious:

Is there some doubt that the division system isn't pitting the two best teams against in the MACC?

And how is an Illinois school a rival as opposed to another Ohio school? Who decided that? Was that just NIU pushing an agenda as seemed to happen on these boards or was that some sort of coordinated effort by theirs and our athletic departments? Noone gets excited for the pagentry and the brother against brother of a game against NIU. There's no competition for students. No competition for academics. No competition for access to the highway. It's the dumbest made-up POS the university could get involved with.

Yea, they don't have a rivalry with anyone other than Bowling Green, so what difference does it make which other school is in their pod?
11-30-2023 10:46 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(11-30-2023 09:42 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  This comment from the Toledo board is hilarious:

That’s great!!!!03-lmfao
11-30-2023 11:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.