Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SDSU Hires Sean Lewis, Colorado OC
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
SDSU Hires Sean Lewis, Colorado OC
Most Aztec fans seem pleased with this hire. Definitely going to be different than the Hoke and Long years.

Quote:Sean Lewis, who spent five seasons at Kent State before becoming the offensive coordinator at Colorado, is expected to be introduced Wednesday morning as San Diego State’s new head football coach.

A Union-Tribune source confirmed San Diego State’s plans on Tuesday afternoon. ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported earlier Tuesday on X (formerly Twitter) that “a deal is expected to come together soon,” while FootballScoop.com called Lewis “a strong and likely leading candidate.”

The 37-year-old Lewis was head coach at Kent State from 2018-22, guiding the Golden Flashes to a 24-31 record. He went 22-21 over his last three seasons.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spo...ball-coach
(This post was last modified: 11-28-2023 08:00 PM by Aztecgolfer.)
11-28-2023 07:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GeminiCoog Online
You'll Never Walk Alone

I Root For: Houston, Notre Dame
RE: SDSU Hires Colorado OC Sean Lewis as Aztecs HC
That's great! (Also, I had to change your thread title due to people potentially misreading it.)
11-28-2023 07:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

RE: SDSU Hires Sean Lewis, Colorado OC
(11-28-2023 07:45 PM)GeminiCoog Wrote:  That's great! (Also, I had to change your thread title due to people potentially misreading it.)

Yeah, noticed that when I logged back on.
11-28-2023 08:01 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(11-28-2023 07:41 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  Most Aztec fans seem pleased with this hire. Definitely going to be different than the Hoke and Long years.

Quote:Sean Lewis, who spent five seasons at Kent State before becoming the offensive coordinator at Colorado, is expected to be introduced Wednesday morning as San Diego State’s new head football coach.

A Union-Tribune source confirmed San Diego State’s plans on Tuesday afternoon. ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported earlier Tuesday on X (formerly Twitter) that “a deal is expected to come together soon,” while FootballScoop.com called Lewis “a strong and likely leading candidate.”

The 37-year-old Lewis was head coach at Kent State from 2018-22, guiding the Golden Flashes to a 24-31 record. He went 22-21 over his last three seasons.

Sorry. All this guy does is lose. At every stop. Aztecs could have done so much better.
11-28-2023 08:49 PM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

(11-28-2023 08:49 PM)No Bull Wrote:  
(11-28-2023 07:41 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  Most Aztec fans seem pleased with this hire. Definitely going to be different than the Hoke and Long years.

Sorry. All this guy does is lose. At every stop. Aztecs could have done so much better.

Doesn't look like Kent St. has ever done much in the sport.
11-28-2023 09:31 PM
EdwordL Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KU, WVU
(11-28-2023 09:31 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

Didn't Kent St do all right with Don James way back in the day? He had, IIRC, Nick Saban and Gary Pinkel on staff, didn't he?
11-28-2023 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

(11-28-2023 09:37 PM)EdwordL Wrote:  
(11-28-2023 09:31 PM)Aztecgolfer Wrote:  

Didn't Kent St do all right with Don James way back in the day? He had, IIRC, Nick Saban and Gary Pinkel on staff, didn't he?

Never followed them so wouldn't know. But Don Coryell had John Madden and Joe Gibbs on his SDSU staffs in the 60s.

Seems the local rag thinks pretty highly of Lewis:

Quote:Winning at Kent State is two holy rungs down from turning water into wine. If Deion Sanders was the splash, Sean Lewis was the coup.

And don’t be the schmuck on social media who tries to argue that because Lewis went 24-31 as the head coach of the Golden Flashes, his reported departure from the CU Buffs is no big loss.

KSU averaged 2.8 wins in the five years before Lewis took over. They were 1-11 this past fall in the Flashes’ first season after he left. For all the grief CU gets as a “coaching graveyard,” Boulder’s Club Med compared to Kent. The man grew daisies in the desert. He made a shambling, zombified MAC program watchable.

He also made the Buffs fun as heck, if only for seven or eight weeks. Which is why Aztec fans are giving each other virtual high-fives after multiple outlets reported Tuesday that Big Sean is expected to replace Brady Hoke as San Diego State’s football coach.

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/11/28/se...socialflow
11-28-2023 10:08 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

Good hire. Some good news for the Aztecs. He needs to hit the road and start getting to know the high school coaches in Southern California. Santa Ana Mater Dei, St. John's Bosco, Corona Centennial, Murrietta Valley, Sierra Canyon, Long Beach Poly, San Diego Lincoln, just to name a few. He needs to know the Juco coaches. A good place to start is Riverside City College, where Tom Craft is the head coach. Craft, as you know, was the head coach at SDSU from 2002 through 2006 and played QB at SDSU. A lot of kids will want to play for an offensive coach at an FBS school that is close to home.
11-28-2023 11:22 PM
joeben69 Offline
1st String

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
Isn't Rocky Long available now???...since Dino Barbers got the axe at Syracuse...Rocky Long was DC under Barbers...only if Rocky and SDSU AD Wicker could get along...

Zach Arnett...
Danny Gonzales...
Kurt Mattix...
etc...

...or any number of former SDSU DCs that are available...
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2023 02:33 AM by joeben69.)
11-29-2023 02:29 AM
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
He was 24-31 overall and 5-7 in his last year at Kent State. He took them from terrible to mediocre.
11-29-2023 06:36 AM
LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Incredible hire!

If you are judging Sean Lewis by wins and losses you are missing out on context. Sean Lewis has taken on the hardest jobs in FBS and succeeded everywhere.

Kent State in an all-time .383 program. He got them to half of their bowl games ALL-TIME.

Colorado was 128th in offensive efficiency in 2022, and in one off-season he got that team to 4 wins, with an offense whose best player was a two-way CB and massive meddling for the HC
11-29-2023 09:24 AM
Advertisement

LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(11-29-2023 06:36 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  He was 24-31 overall and 5-7 in his last year at Kent State. He took them from terrible to mediocre.

Terrible take. The Kent State team he left went 1-11 this season
11-29-2023 09:27 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(11-28-2023 08:49 PM)No Bull Wrote:  Sorry. All this guy does is lose. At every stop. Aztecs could have done so much better.

Many watching MAC football would tell you Lewis is a very good hire. If we had an opening at Bowling Green, I think many Falcon fans would be delighted to have him back. (He was an assistant at Bowling Green under Dino Babers.)

Kent State might be the single most challenging situation in FBS. Under the circumstances, Lewis got a lot done while he was there.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2023 09:33 AM by Schadenfreude.)
11-29-2023 09:33 AM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Deion stripped him of play calling duties. https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...s-new-role

CU lost last 6 games. SDSU is a great job in a great city. Attractive to many candidates. I think SDSU could have done better but hopefully I am proven wrong. 04-cheers
11-29-2023 10:57 AM
AssKickingChicken Online
1st String

I Root For: Jax State
I think he will suck there and will last maybe five years.
11-29-2023 10:58 AM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
After Lewis stopped calling plays, CU's ppg dropped by ~12. There's a lot of rumors that Deion was mad that Lewis was looking at HC jobs, which is why he was demoted.
11-29-2023 10:59 AM
Advertisement

bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M

If Aztec fans are coming on here applauding the move, then I think it was ok.
11-29-2023 11:08 AM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

(11-29-2023 02:29 AM)joeben69 Wrote:  Isn't Rocky Long available now???...since Dino Barbers got the axe at Syracuse...Rocky Long was DC under Barbers...only if Rocky and SDSU AD Wicker could get along...

Zach Arnett...
Danny Gonzales...
Kurt Mattix...
etc...

...or any number of former SDSU DCs that are available...

Mattix is the current DC and has another year on his contract. His defense underperformed. Yes, it was young, but they couldn't tackle either. Would love to have Arnett back but he likely gets a P4 DC job. Gonzales is a perhaps. No to Rocky. That ship has sailed.
11-29-2023 11:31 AM
Aztecgolfer Offline
1st String

(11-29-2023 06:36 AM)AssKickingChicken Wrote:  He was 24-31 overall and 5-7 in his last year at Kent State. He took them from terrible to mediocre.

And Bill Belichick was 36-44 at Cleveland before he was fired. Sometimes it may not be the coach. At SDSU he is likely being paid at or near the top of the MWC and will have the highest budget for assistant coaches in the conference.

It will come down to what happens on the field and he will have to win, but this hire has excited the fanbase which is important for the program. I'm waiting to hear his press conference today but have heard that he has a very dynamic personality. Both Long and Hoke were rather meh when it came to interviews. That is part of selling the program.
(This post was last modified: 11-29-2023 11:41 AM by Aztecgolfer.)
11-29-2023 11:41 AM
Aztec Since 88 Offline
Bench Warmer

I like the hire of Lewis as HC. I am still curious how he fills out his staff, and whether they stay with the 3-3-5 defense. The hire of Lewis has given the community a jolt of excitement, which was needed.
11-29-2023 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.