Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New HC...Mike Price?
Bookmark and Share
JoltinJacket Offline
The Resident Stat Machine

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksHall of FameCrappies

per ESPN.com...

Quote:Washington State football coach Mike Price met with his players late Tuesday afternoon in Pullman amid indications he would leave the Pac-10 school to take the head coaching job at Alabama.

In Seattle, several television stations, citing unidentified sources close to the team, reported Price had told his assistants that he had accepted the Alabama job.

WSU athletics director Jim Sterk would neither confirm nor deny the reports. Sterk said the university had scheduled a Wednesday morning news conference to discuss the coaching situation.

Earlier Tuesday, Price's weekly teleconference from Pullman was frequently interrupted with questions about the Alabama job.

Price refused to discuss it.

"This press conference is for the Rose Bowl and the Washington State Cougars, and any job speculation will not be discussed and will not be commented on,'' Price said before the teleconference ended.

His answers gave no hint as to whether he had been offered the job by Alabama officials. He said his job status would be discussed "sometime later.''

He confirmed that he told UCLA athletic officials late Monday that he was not interested in that job, which became vacant after Price's friend Bob Toledo was fired.

UCLA was the only team that asked WSU officials for permission to talk to Price, Sterk said earlier.

Alabama media had reported that Price was the front-runner to succeed Dennis Franchione, who resigned to coach at Texas A&M. Price had called the Alabama job "the premiere coaching position in the country.''

The speculation about Price's future occurs as his No.7 Cougars prepare for the Rose Bowl Jan. 1.

Price has said he "definitely'' expected to coach the team in the Rose Bowl.

He said he talked to his players Monday night and that the discussion was "mainly about the Rose Bowl and what we intend to do about that.''

Practices tailored to No. 8 Oklahoma will begin next week at the Los Angeles Coliseum, he said.

Because many players have final exams this week, practice will resume Thursday, Price said.

Quarterback Jason Gesser has not practiced since before the UCLA game Dec. 7. He's had flu symptoms and was resting his injured right leg but was expected to be back Thursday, Price said.

"He'll be fine. He will be back 100 percent and ready to go Thursday,'' Price said. "I don't think he's going to be 100 percent all year ... but as he proved against UCLA, he's ready to go.''

Price, 56, has an 83-77 record in 14 years as head coach of the Cougars, including back-to- back 10-2 bowl seasons with one game remaining this year.

Price was asked if the Rose Bowl would be his last as head coach of the Cougars.

"It will be my first game as head coach at Washington State of the new year,'' Price replied.

Asked if the speculation over his future employment had been a distraction, Price replied: "You think this is bad ... the job speculation ... try telling people you don't have any Rose Bowl tickets.''
12-17-2002 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WazzuCoug82 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

best of luck to him down there. I still like Bama as well when it comes to athletics and so I am not that bitter.
12-17-2002 11:14 PM
REBstill Offline
All American

I Root For:

Congratulations on naminga new coach. I wish him luck!

I can imagine how excited he is about become the head coach at Alabama, just surprised it took so long to secure one.
12-18-2002 10:58 AM
Advertisement

CY Hammer Company Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

Anybody that can win at Wazzu can win in SEC country. He should do a fine job.
12-20-2002 04:56 PM
WazzuCoug82 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

CY Hammer Company Wrote:Anybody that can win at Wazzu can win in SEC country. He should do a fine job.
I think he will do well at Alabama. I wish he would have stayed at WSU though.
01-10-2003 06:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.