Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Something Memphis and Ohio State have in common...
Bookmark and Share
Southaven Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
...Fans that want the coach fired.

The arrogance!

Ohio State legend Maurice Clarett called for Buckeyes coach Ryan Day to be fired after the team’s third straight loss against Michigan on Saturday.

Clarett’s first post on X came after Kyle McCord threw the game-sealing interception. Michigan won the game 30-24 in a hard-fought batter. The loss moved Day to 1-3 against their bitter rivals – something that seemed to be unacceptable to Buckeyes fans and alumni.

"Ryan Day…. Love you bro but gotta go. This is why you’re paid millions. Cant get paid 9’ms and lose 3 straight," the former star running back wrote on X.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ex-ohio-s...backtracks
11-26-2023 12:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
RE: Something Memphis and Ohio State have in common...
(11-26-2023 12:39 PM)Southaven Wrote:  ...Fans that want the coach fired.

The arrogance!

Ohio State legend Maurice Clarett called for Buckeyes coach Ryan Day to be fired after the team’s third straight loss against Michigan on Saturday.

Clarett’s first post on X came after Kyle McCord threw the game-sealing interception. Michigan won the game 30-24 in a hard-fought batter. The loss moved Day to 1-3 against their bitter rivals – something that seemed to be unacceptable to Buckeyes fans and alumni.

"Ryan Day…. Love you bro but gotta go. This is why you’re paid millions. Cant get paid 9’ms and lose 3 straight," the former star running back wrote on X.

Houston just fired their coach

So did A&M

Mississippi State fired theirs in less than one full season

Florida will probably fire theirs
Coaches get fired every year. Some deserve it some don’t

Coaches also move on to what they think is a better job for better money every year. Some deserve it some don’t

So what is your point except to bash fans with a different opinion than you ?
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 12:44 PM by Eagleonpar.)
11-26-2023 12:43 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

I Root For: Truffles
Here in Memphis you can win four straight games while ending up in the top third of all of FBS as a "G5" and the "fans" want to fire the coach.
11-26-2023 12:45 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
(11-26-2023 12:45 PM)msu35 Wrote:  Here in Memphis you can win four straight games while ending up in the top third of all of FBS as a "G5" and the "fans" want to fire the coach.

Memphis is not top-third in all of FBS. (I am not suggesting CRS should be fired, but would like to know your source.) They might be top-half of FBS, though - Massey 55, Sagarin 60’ish.
11-26-2023 12:55 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 12:55 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 12:45 PM)msu35 Wrote:  Here in Memphis you can win four straight games while ending up in the top third of all of FBS as a "G5" and the "fans" want to fire the coach.

Memphis is not top-third in all of FBS. (I am not suggesting CRS should be fired, but would like to know your source.) They might be top-half of FBS, though - Massey 55, Sagarin 60’ish.

55/133= 0.413, so Top 42%.
11-26-2023 12:58 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

Top third would be 1-44.

Top half would be 1-66.
11-26-2023 01:00 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(11-26-2023 12:58 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  

55/133= 0.413, so Top 42%.

It's in green.

[Image: 9q6LjEq.png]
11-26-2023 01:04 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(11-26-2023 01:00 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

Top third would be 1-44.

Top half would be 1-66.

If you're going to pretend that 1 position isn't closer to the top third than the half, you need to pass over the good stuff. 0.333 compared to 0.338 or your comparison of 0.338 to 0.500, for those who are math challenged.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 01:08 PM by msu35.)
11-26-2023 01:05 PM
UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

(11-26-2023 12:43 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

The arrogance!

So did A&M

Coaches also move on to what they think is a better job for better money every year. Some deserve it some don’t

Yea Dana Holgorsen got canned, but he had a reported 15 million buyout
11-26-2023 01:12 PM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2023 12:43 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

The arrogance!

So did A&M

Houston is 4-8

A&M is 7-5 on nearly 100 million dollar contract

MissSt is 5-7

Florida is 5-7

Memphis is 9-3 which lost to teams with a combined record of 31-5

One isn’t like the others even for G5 vs P5 teams
11-26-2023 01:20 PM
Slacks Offline
Banned

I Root For: all of us
Day deserves to be fired, everyone knows the deal at tOSU and UMich. Can’t drop that game 3 years in a row, you will get shown the door.
11-26-2023 01:45 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

Does masseyratings.com count? They just published their new rankings since my last post. Follow the link and scroll down to 43. Glad I could help.

https://masseyratings.com/ranks?s=cf

[Image: fZ06JaF.png]
11-26-2023 01:52 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2023 01:45 PM)Slacks Wrote:  Day deserves to be fired, everyone knows the deal at tOSU and UMich. Can’t drop that game 3 years in a row, you will get shown the door.

Harbaugh lost to OSU five years in a row. He finally turned it around. Firing Day is nonsense, it won't happen.
11-26-2023 02:05 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 01:52 PM)msu35 Wrote:  

Does masseyratings.com count? They just published their new rankings since my last post. Follow the link and scroll down to 43. Glad I could help.

OK, here is the deal - Memphis is 55 in Massey’s actual ranking. They are 43 in the Massey Composite ranking which averages numerous different rankings. So, I see and respect your top-third claim, although I gave always thought of Sagarin as being the best indicator. I know the Massey Composite includes some pretty sketchy, way-too-simplified rankings, but it is certainly all debatable.
11-26-2023 02:06 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
If they fire Day, I'll have to laugh at that stupidity. Dude has won I think 88% of his games in his career there.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
11-26-2023 02:11 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 02:06 PM)hsvtiger Wrote:  

OK, here is the deal - Memphis is 55 in Massey’s actual ranking. They are 43 in the Massey Composite ranking which averages numerous different rankings. So, I see and respect your top-third claim, although I gave always thought of Sagarin as being the best indicator. I know the Massey Composite includes some pretty sketchy, way-too-simplified rankings, but it is certainly all debatable.

As an example, Massey Composite includes a rating called MARK the has Memphis at #21. It also has Tulane at #12 & Liberty at #8. NOBODY thinks that has ANY accuracy at all. Because of that, I dont put much stock in Massey COMPOSITE/CONSENSUS, because GIGO.
11-26-2023 02:13 PM
Advertisement

msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

That's a fair point, but I prefer the composite as it accounts for many systems versus a single algorithm or based purely on opinion. How much credence is placed on the AP or coaches poll when it's literally just an opinion-based vote? Stating that, I will be more clear next time.
11-26-2023 02:13 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(11-26-2023 02:13 PM)msu35 Wrote:  

That's a fair point, but I prefer the composite as it accounts for many systems versus a single algorithm or based purely on opinion. How much credence is placed on the AP or coaches poll when it's literally just an opinion-based vote? Stating that, I will be more clear next time.

Not much at all since they came up with a completely new poll to figure out who goes to the playoffs.

Now they use somebody else's opinion poll. lol

College football rankings: Every poll explained and how they work

Quote:Unlike other polls, the College Football Playoff rankings come out only until well into the season. And unlike other polls, it's the only one that really matters, as it's for the four-team playoff. The CFP Selection Committee ranks its own Top 25, using factors like strength of schedule, results, championships won, common opponents and more. The top four teams go to the playoff, which plays two semifinals before the national title game in a No. 1 vs. No. 4 and No. 2 vs. No. 3 format.

The CFP, which started with the 2014 season, has its committee members meet in person to rank teams.

Along with selecting the teams in the CFP, the committee also assigns teams to New Year's bowls.
11-26-2023 02:20 PM
msu35 Offline
Observing Reality

(11-26-2023 02:20 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 02:13 PM)msu35 Wrote:  That's a fair point, but I prefer the composite as it accounts for many systems versus a single algorithm or based purely on opinion. How much credence is placed on the AP or coaches poll when it's literally just an opinion-based vote? Stating that, I will be more clear next time.

Not much at all since they came up with a completely new poll to figure out who goes to the playoffs.

Now they use somebody else's opinion poll. lol

College football rankings: Every poll explained and how they work

Quote:Unlike other polls, the College Football Playoff rankings come out only until well into the season. And unlike other polls, it's the only one that really matters, as it's for the four-team playoff. The CFP Selection Committee ranks its own Top 25, using factors like strength of schedule, results, championships won, common opponents and more. The top four teams go to the playoff, which plays two semifinals before the national title game in a No. 1 vs. No. 4 and No. 2 vs. No. 3 format.

The CFP, which started with the 2014 season, has its committee members meet in person to rank teams.

Along with selecting the teams in the CFP, the committee also assigns teams to New Year's bowls.

Crazy isn't it? The wheel wasn't giving them the "right" results so they had to try and reinvent one to their liking. They needed that subjective "fudge" factor (note the "and more" in your quote) so they can essentially do what they want without scrutiny.
11-26-2023 02:29 PM
MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
The late great Lewis Grizzard said it best when talking about Mich- OSU and B10 football in general.

“It’s like 2 mules fighting over a turnip”

03-zzz
11-26-2023 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.