Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowl Proceeds
Bookmark and Share
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
Bowl Proceeds
Now that we are Bowling, do we share in all the Bowl proceeds as an equal member of the Sunbelt? And, TV revenues? It would make a huge financial windfall for us.
11-26-2023 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Bowl Proceeds
No public information on this, depends on what our SBC agreement says. Could depend on a vote of other members/presidents.

We logically should, but per SBC bylaws and Football rules, there is also a strong case that we should be CCG eligible, since we are now postseason eligible.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 09:40 AM by JMURocks.)
11-26-2023 09:39 AM
Dignan Offline
1st String

What bowl proceeds? The NY6 is the one that pays.
11-26-2023 09:44 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 09:44 AM)Dignan Wrote:  What bowl proceeds? The NY6 is the one that pays.

They all pay.
11-26-2023 09:46 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2023 09:46 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 09:44 AM)Dignan Wrote:  What bowl proceeds? The NY6 is the one that pays.

They all pay.

Correct, it's just typically distributed thru SBC payout, not direct to school.
11-26-2023 09:52 AM
jmu007 Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 09:46 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  

They all pay.

JMU will very likely lose money on whatever bowl we go to this year. The gains will be on the back end.

Thanks NCAA.
11-26-2023 09:54 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Everyone can’t lose money on their Bowl games! There has to be a pot of money divided amongst the schools. Someone should know
11-26-2023 10:20 AM
sekudog Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(11-26-2023 10:20 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Everyone can’t lose money on their Bowl games! There has to be a pot of money divided amongst the schools. Someone should know

Last year:

https://fanbuzz.com/college-football/bowl-game-payouts/
11-26-2023 10:27 AM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(11-26-2023 09:39 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  No public information on this, depends on what our SBC agreement says. Could depend on a vote of other members/presidents.

We logically should, but per SBC bylaws and Football rules, there is also a strong case that we should be CCG eligible, since we are now postseason eligible.

I thought Gill said earlier that if we are bowl eligible, then we would also be CCG-eligible.
11-26-2023 10:30 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2023 10:30 AM)Purple Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 09:39 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  No public information on this, depends on what our SBC agreement says. Could depend on a vote of other members/presidents.

I thought Gill said earlier that if we are bowl eligible, then we would also be CCG-eligible.

Its an interesting situation at the moment.

SBC has announced App St at Troy, so assume our odds are not great now, would seem unlikely this gets reversed. But bylaws suggest we should be playing.
11-26-2023 10:33 AM
JMUDuke25 Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 10:20 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Everyone can’t lose money on their Bowl games! There has to be a pot of money divided amongst the schools. Someone should know

The 12 Sun Belt teams will take all their bowl money and pool it together and divide it amongst the conference members.

I have no idea if JMU gets a full share this year or starting next year.

I have no idea what the ticket commitments are in the smaller bowl games to even project who will or will not lose money.
11-26-2023 10:36 AM
Advertisement

Johns1124 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Marshall
(11-26-2023 09:36 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  Now that we are Bowling, do we share in all the Bowl proceeds as an equal member of the Sunbelt? And, TV revenues? It would make a huge financial windfall for us.

I feel that I may be able to shed some light on this. All 12 teams will take the payouts from their respective bowls. After the NC, they will have a sort of a
"White Elephant" type of payout where JMU might give their payout to ASU, MU might get Appys, and Appys gets Troy.

I hope this clears things up!

Now go tell your friends you learned something new!
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2023 11:20 AM by Johns1124.)
11-26-2023 11:05 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Yes, as a full SBC member, you'll participate in the bowl payout scheme, and like Johns said, its very much like a white elephant gift exchange.

SBC works like this.

1. Every school collects all of their income from ticket sales and merch sales etc and reports it to SBC.
2. Each school reports its expenditures attending the game to the SBC.
3. Each school keeps enough of their income from the game to offset expenses so they at minimum "break even"
4. Schools that do not have enough income to cover expenses notify league of difference.
5. Schools that make more money than expenses send whatever is over their "break even" point to the league office.

At that point the Sun Belt will direct that money to other schools in the league whose expenses did not match income. Priority is given to schools who had to travel the farthest as its expected fewer fans would travel to say Boise for a bowl this is basically a stipend to cover increased travel.

Once that is taken care of, remaining money is split evenly between the 12 schools who made a bowl. USM/ULM get nothing and like it.
11-26-2023 11:54 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Do we have to split anything? We're not getting any Sun Belt $$$ this year-correct? So if we are not getting a share of the pie from the Sun Belt, why would we have to kick the proceeds upstairs?
11-26-2023 12:00 PM
jmu007 Offline
All American

(11-26-2023 11:54 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Once that is taken care of, remaining money is split evenly between the 12 schools who made a bowl. USM/ULM get nothing and like it.

03-lmfao
11-26-2023 12:02 PM
space orange Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UCF

Likely meant front door eligible, not back door. Because you won't be able to back door your way into the NY6.
11-26-2023 12:05 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(11-26-2023 12:00 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Do we have to split anything? We're not getting any Sun Belt $$$ this year-correct? So if we are not getting a share of the pie from the Sun Belt, why would we have to kick the proceeds upstairs?

You are getting Sun Belt money this year to my understanding. You did not participate last season because we were mainly doing you guys a solid after the CAA mess.

However, this is your first full year as an official Sun Belt Member. You're eligibile for income sharing etc like everyone else. The only difference is you couldn't play in the football title game due to executive fiat by a bunch of people in Indianapolis.
11-26-2023 12:06 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2023 12:06 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 12:00 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Do we have to split anything? We're not getting any Sun Belt $$$ this year-correct? So if we are not getting a share of the pie from the Sun Belt, why would we have to kick the proceeds upstairs?

You are getting Sun Belt money this year to my understanding. You did not participate last season because we were mainly doing you guys a solid after the CAA mess.

However, this is your first full year as an official Sun Belt Member. You're eligibile for income sharing etc like everyone else. The only difference is you couldn't play in the football title game due to executive fiat by a bunch of people in Indianapolis.

You’ve got a very funny take on the facts about how JMU came into the SBC, and an even funnier (as in peculiar) understanding about how the SBC was doing JMU a “solid”…

The SBC didn’t pay MTSU $700k to play at JMU in 2022, a game that was necessary under NCAA rules to allow all other SBC teams to count their games against JMU as an FBS contest. Admittedly that distinction didn’t help most SBC teams because they lost to JMU, however it did allow GS to go bowling in 2022.
11-26-2023 01:34 PM
CharlestonDuke Offline
Special Teams

(11-26-2023 01:34 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(11-26-2023 12:06 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

You’ve got a very funny take on the facts about how JMU came into the SBC, and an even funnier (as in peculiar) understanding about how the SBC was doing JMU a “solid”…

The SBC didn’t pay MTSU $700k to play at JMU in 2022, a game that was necessary under NCAA rules to allow all other SBC teams to count their games against JMU as an FBS contest. Admittedly that distinction didn’t help most SBC teams because they lost to JMU, however it did allow GS to go bowling in 2022.

^this 01-ncaabbs
11-26-2023 01:44 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

I think he meant if we're bowl-eligible through tier 1 rather than "out of other teams" eligible.
11-26-2023 02:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.