Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could injury keep FSU out of playoff?
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Could injury keep FSU out of playoff?
Yes, the committee considers injuries. If, in their last 2 games, the Seminoles don’t look like the same team who went 11-0, could the committee try to put a 12-1 Oregon, 12-1 Alabama, 11-1 Ohio State, or 12-1 Texas in over them? Shades of 2014.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2023 12:27 PM by Crayton.)
11-19-2023 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

andybible1995 Offline
All American

I Root For: TN, MTSU, MD
RE: Could injury keep FSU out of playoff?
(11-19-2023 10:25 AM)Crayton Wrote:  Yes, the committee considers injuries. If, I. Their last 2 games, the Seminoles don’t look like the same team who went 11-0, could the committee try to put a 12-1 Oregon, 12-1 Alabama, 11-1 Ohio State, or 12-1 Texas in over them? Shades of 2014.

A loss to Florida and/or Louisville in the conference championship game is more likely to keep them out.
11-19-2023 10:52 AM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
If FSU wins out I’d expect them to get in over any 1 loss team. I personally was not expecting FSU to dominate UF or UL with Travis at QB, Tate Rodemaker is a Jr and has proven to be a capable QB.
11-19-2023 11:29 AM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State
I think we'll be just fine if we win out, no matter who is playing at QB. If we lose both it's over, and if we lose one and other games go as expected right now I doubt the committee is impressed with our 1 loss ACC resume compared to the other 1 loss teams that will be lurking out there from stronger conferences. So while the path has gotten more challenging with Travis' injury, I still think the Seminoles control our own destiny.
11-19-2023 12:20 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I think it could - if the absence of their QB leads to a loss to Florida or Louisville.

Other than that, no.
11-19-2023 12:25 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
If they win out, the only "shades of 2014" reference to make is Ohio State entering with their backup QB. That turned out ok for the Buckeyes.
11-19-2023 12:39 PM
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
Regardless of the quarterback, if Florida State wins against both Florida and Louisville, they make the playoffs. Just win each game, the margin of victories may influence placement ranking among the chosen four, but won’t be a detriment to being selected.

FSU has some impressive wins. If they go undefeated pre-CCP, no one loss team would be appropriate to be selected instead of the Seminoles. There will be arguments otherwise, which happens yearly, but any late season loss must not jump a power conference school sitting there unbeaten.

Florida State isn’t Liberty. No dissing of Liberty is intended. Liberty doesn’t play a P-5 schedule nor is a power conference member.
11-19-2023 01:19 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The Gators will also be without their starting QB this week. There seems to be a rash of QB injuries throughout the FBS right now. This may not be a good week to try to outguess the odds makers (if there is ever a good week to do that).
11-19-2023 02:38 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Right now the CFP is settled into known components.

If you are undefeated, you will make the playoffs. There will be a max of 4 unbeatens as Mich and Oh St play each other.

The only 1 loss team that has a chance at the CFP is Alabama. If they beat Georgia, Alabama is in, and Georgia is likely out.

So if FSU wins out, there's not really a scenario where they would be out.

There could be some end of season carnage that throws everything into flux, but not if you are undefeated.
11-19-2023 02:44 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(11-19-2023 12:39 PM)bronconick Wrote:  If they win out, the only "shades of 2014" reference to make is Ohio State entering with their backup QB. That turned out ok for the Buckeyes.

Yah I was gonna point this out too. The original playoff champ lost their second starting QB for the year right before the CCG. They’d roll Wisconsin in the CCG 59-0. So if the injury causes a loss then by all means ding them but let’s at least wait and see how the back up does first.
11-19-2023 02:48 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(11-19-2023 02:48 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  
(11-19-2023 12:39 PM)bronconick Wrote:  If they win out, the only "shades of 2014" reference to make is Ohio State entering with their backup QB. That turned out ok for the Buckeyes.

Yah I was gonna point this out too. The original playoff champ lost their second starting QB for the year right before the CCG. They’d roll Wisconsin in the CCG 59-0. So if the injury causes a loss then by all means ding them but let’s at least wait and see how the back up does first.

I think the AP dropped them one spot and put Washington ahead of them. Of course, the only poll that matters is the selection committee, and then only the last one.
11-19-2023 03:02 PM
Advertisement

superdeluxe Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
Computers already loved UW, now with the polls having them 4 likely means CFP can’t ignore them anymore.

Ohio State, Michigan, still have to face each other. If everyone takes care of business might difficult to take a Florida State with one loss over let’s say Michigan losing to Ohio State. Or a healthy Washington team with one loss against Oregon. If Alabama beats Georgia not sure you take Florida state (if FSU is one loss)
11-19-2023 03:12 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
I think both Oregon and Washington are better than them even with Travis.
11-19-2023 03:39 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Yes. Washington passed them in the AP Poll to #4. CFP likely to follow.
11-19-2023 05:38 PM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
Best case - Michigan beats OSU, Iowa surprises Michigan

Washington loses in Pac champ game
11-19-2023 06:07 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Well if FSU loses, they won't make the playoff. But there is a good chance they make the NY6 even if they lose 2.
11-19-2023 06:16 PM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
The CFP cannot reasonably exclude an undefeated P5 conference champ (unless there are 5 of them, which can't happen). Lose a game, and the door is open for the Michigan-Ohio St. loser, Texas if it wins out, Georgia if it loses to Bama, and of course Louisville if it's the one that defeats FSU.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2023 06:59 PM by orangefan.)
11-19-2023 06:57 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(11-19-2023 03:02 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(11-19-2023 02:48 PM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  

I think the AP dropped them one spot and put Washington ahead of them. Of course, the only poll that matters is the selection committee, and then only the last one.

I don’t have an issue with Washington moving over them as Washington plays in a much tougher league and is undefeated as well. But if there are only four undefeateds at the end of the year I would hope FSU makes it based on their body of work throughout the season and not kept out for fear that they might not be the same team that built their resume.
11-19-2023 06:57 PM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M and FSU
The good news is that all of this will be decided on the field. For the 5 unbeatens, win and you're in, lose and start praying for chaos. At least we won't have to worry about an unbeaten team getting left out, as happened to Auburn 20 years ago.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2023 07:08 PM by bryanw1995.)
11-19-2023 07:07 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
FSU fans are poopin' in their pants right now.
11-19-2023 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2023 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.