Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Assuming the SEC grabbed UNC/FSU/Clemson, which school would be #4?
This poll is closed.
Virginia Tech 20.00% 14 20.00%
Louisville 1.43% 1 1.43%
Miami 10.00% 7 10.00%
UVA 54.29% 38 54.29%
Colorado 1.43% 1 1.43%
other 12.86% 9 12.86%
Total 70 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Who would be the SEC's 4th
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
Who would be the SEC's 4th
If, you know, something were to happen to the ACC between now and 2036, and schools started departing. Consensus is that we'd take FSU with the first pick, UNC and Clemson with picks 2 and 3, but that 4th pick is giving me fits. Do we want Miami to both get a strong Brand, thwart the B1G, and solidly lock down thee entire State of Florida? Do we take UVA then dare the B1G to take Miami? Do we take VT b/c they're a better fit for football and have the same Brand power as UVA? Louisville b/c they bring in more revenues than any of the others? Someone else?

I'm curious to see people's thoughts on this.
11-07-2023 12:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: Who would be the SEC's 4th
UVA. Miami’s more valuable, but they want the flagship of VA to complete the South.
11-07-2023 12:32 AM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
VA, but the B1G may want VA.

Miami is valuable, south florida may as well be another state, recruitment hotbed, lots of money, geographically you can't get more southeast lol

They may make a play for Duke (which has more ties to SE than to B1G territories)
11-07-2023 12:53 AM
jgkojak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Kansas
BTW, if I were going to bed, I would say B1G tries to get UNC and VA as #19 and #20.
11-07-2023 12:57 AM
bryanw1995 Offline
+12 Hackmaster

I Root For: A&M
I voted UVA, but ask me tomorrow and I might pick VT or Miami.

02-13-banana02-13-banana
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 01:54 AM by bryanw1995.)
11-07-2023 01:54 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
UVA to nicely pair with UNC.

VT could have already been in the SEC, but they decided to stay and let Missouri and West Virginia battle for that 14th spot. Or maybe it was all just poppycock?

What I want yo know is what would the loss of those three schools have on Notre Dame’s TV contract? Would NBC be willing to fork over the revenues to keep ND independent or would the golden diners weigh their options in the B1G and SEC?
11-07-2023 02:00 AM
Advertisement

WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
Kansas
11-07-2023 02:03 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(11-07-2023 02:03 AM)WhoseHouse? Wrote:  Kansas

I was thinking them having an outside shot if they keep up the good football. Then UVa and Miami to B1G.
11-07-2023 04:00 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(11-07-2023 12:09 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  If, you know, something were to happen to the ACC between now and 2036, and schools started departing. Consensus is that we'd take FSU with the first pick, UNC and Clemson with picks 2 and 3, but that 4th pick is giving me fits. Do we want Miami to both get a strong Brand, thwart the B1G, and solidly lock down thee entire State of Florida? Do we take UVA then dare the B1G to take Miami? Do we take VT b/c they're a better fit for football and have the same Brand power as UVA? Louisville b/c they bring in more revenues than any of the others? Someone else?

More than likely you'll never get past your #1 (FSU). Most SEC types seem to think they need a basketball power to play off of Kentucky and Kansas fits that bill very nicely for #2.
I think the SEC stops at 18 and stays somewhat regional.

Once the SEC has broken open the Big 12 (taking Kansas) the ACC invites TCU to complete a toehold in the DFW area and then adds either Cincinnati, USF or perhaps, even Notre Dame to also get to 18.
11-07-2023 08:01 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Sam Houston State
11-07-2023 08:02 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(11-07-2023 12:09 AM)bryanw1995 Wrote:  If, you know, something were to happen to the ACC between now and 2036, and schools started departing. Consensus is that we'd take FSU with the first pick, UNC and Clemson with picks 2 and 3, but that 4th pick is giving me fits. Do we want Miami to both get a strong Brand, thwart the B1G, and solidly lock down thee entire State of Florida? Do we take UVA then dare the B1G to take Miami? Do we take VT b/c they're a better fit for football and have the same Brand power as UVA? Louisville b/c they bring in more revenues than any of the others? Someone else?

First things first Aggie: Aren't you a GoR Truther? 03-wink

For sure, the sequence of the ACC's collapse matters greatly for those orchestrating the implosion (in this case, Sankey and ESPN while Pettiti and FOX/NBC/CBS stand by with Notre Dame's paperwork)

Nos. 1-2 - FSU and Clemson: By far the ACC's most successful football programs over the last 20 years. SEC ready from Day 1. Departure impact on ACC: Dropped by a left hook everybody saw coming. Trying to shake out the cobwebs while taking a standing 8-count

Nos. 3-4 - UNC and UVA: Sankey takes the B1G's top two targets — realistic and otherwise — among actual ACC schools and delivers the knockout blow to Bumblin' Jim Phillips. Departure impact on ACC: Ref mercifully stops the fight

Nos. 5-6-7 - NC State, VA Tech and Duke: Sankey avoids the political blowback and essentially locks down two key states in the South with a pair of schools that very much fit the SEC profile while also adding arguably the nation's No. 1 hoops brand and a Top 10 National University for a big boost outside the football realm. Departure impact on ACC: See Pac-12 the day Arizona, ASU and Utah departed. Buzzards are circling

No. 8 - Kansas: If Missouri to the B1G doesn't happen

or

Nos. 8-9: Georgia Tech and West Virginia: If Mizzou and KU to the B1G does happen. One school boosts the SEC's academic profile while conveniently enough being located in Ground Zero for College Football in the South; the other brings another state to extend Sankey's "contiguous footprint" obsession while also rewarding Sen. Joe Manchin's efforts to push through the SEC's preferred NIL legislation
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 09:45 AM by PeteTheChop.)
11-07-2023 09:39 AM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S

Louisville to the SEC = not happenin' (and the Cards will be just fine anyway in an expanded B1G XII)
11-07-2023 09:41 AM
Dukes_Royals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison University
It definitely sounds crazy to mention, but JMU might be in that conversation. Same geography as VT and an athletic program on the rise versus VT a program on the decline.

If, and a big if, JMU capitalizes on this year's success into large budget increases and an eventual football stadium expansion I wouldn't count it out completely. JMU could have multiple CFP appearances and NCAAT appearances (men and women's) in 4-6 years.

Or maybe we back fill into the Big 12 and give WVU a close school. Also please note, I am still running off the MSU upset last night so take everything with a grain of salt.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 09:46 AM by Dukes_Royals.)
11-07-2023 09:45 AM
tf8693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Notre Dame
I'm going to object to the basic premise of the thread. I don't see UNC to the SEC as the slam dunk that most on this board do. The B1G will want them too, and I think UNC will see itself as a better cultural/academic/athletic fit with the B1G, particularly if the B1G adds Virginia first.

With that said, if I were to take the premise at face value, I would say Virginia if I'm looking at this in a vacuum. Taking the B1G into consideration, however, I think Va Tech is the more likely add, as I think Virginia winds up in the B1G in any event. I also see the B1G as the more likely to add Miami. I see Louisville as a less likely add than either Va Tech, NC State, Duke, Kansas or even perhaps Oklahoma State.
11-07-2023 10:03 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(11-07-2023 10:03 AM)tf8693 Wrote:  I'm going to object to the basic premise of the thread. I don't see UNC to the SEC as the slam dunk that most on this board do. The B1G will want them too, and I think UNC will see itself as a better cultural/academic/athletic fit with the B1G, particularly if the B1G adds Virginia first.

With that said, if I were to take the premise at face value, I would say Virginia if I'm looking at this in a vacuum. Taking the B1G into consideration, however, I think Va Tech is the more likely add, as I think Virginia winds up in the B1G in any event. I also see the B1G as the more likely to add Miami. I see Louisville as a less likely add than either Va Tech, NC State, Duke, Kansas or even perhaps Oklahoma State.

Carolina wants to make more money and remain in the ACC. I think this will be figured out by the end of the contract.
11-07-2023 10:22 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(11-07-2023 10:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  
(11-07-2023 10:03 AM)tf8693 Wrote:  I'm going to object to the basic premise of the thread. I don't see UNC to the SEC as the slam dunk that most on this board do. The B1G will want them too, and I think UNC will see itself as a better cultural/academic/athletic fit with the B1G, particularly if the B1G adds Virginia first.

Carolina wants to make more money and remain in the ACC. I think this will be figured out by the end of the contract.

How? The ACC contract will be significantly less than the SEC or Big Ten, even if it is more money than the status quo....especially if FSU and anyone else leaves.

Do you think UNC will choose to remain in the ACC even if the SEC or Big Ten offer is on the table?
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 11:13 AM by YNot.)
11-07-2023 11:12 AM
Advertisement

Yosef181 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian State
North Carolina + Virginia is a nice pair.

They already have a presence in Florida. Would they need a 3rd Florida team to grow the SEC brand? I'd argue 2 is fine. The SEC brand is already well-known in the state, and most conferences don't have 3 schools in the same state.

Louisville is an interesting choice, because of their rivalry with Kentucky. I don't think Louisville really enhances the SEC brand when the SEC already have Kentucky. At least for now, I'm assuming the value isn't there.

As for Colorado, they're too far out on an island. I know, we've been shown time and time again that geography doesn't matter at the P5 level, but the SEC is still pretty compact.
(This post was last modified: 11-07-2023 01:09 PM by Yosef181.)
11-07-2023 01:08 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(11-07-2023 11:12 AM)YNot Wrote:  
(11-07-2023 10:22 AM)esayem Wrote:  

How? The ACC contract will be significantly less than the SEC or Big Ten, even if it is more money than the status quo....especially if FSU and anyone else leaves.

Do you think UNC will choose to remain in the ACC even if the SEC or Big Ten offer is on the table?

Basketball will be worth more money. Schools will start cutting their own deals separate from the conference for individual sports. A lot of things will be different in 10 years.
11-07-2023 01:09 PM
Bear Catlett Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
How in the hail did Colorado get to be one of the choices???
11-07-2023 01:09 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
VT would be a better add than UVA—they control a greater market share of the state and they are better at football.
11-07-2023 01:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.