Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ACC schedule
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
ACC schedule
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...eam-league

ACC copies Big 10 with varied numbers of fixed rivals. Everyone will play the others at least 2 times in 7 years.

"...In a change from the current 3-3-5 scheduling model, which the ACC adopted for this season, not every school has the same number of protected rivalry games. Some schools have three; the majority have two; Clemson has one; Georgia Tech and Louisville have zero.

Eleven of the 16 protected games have been retained from the current model. Miami-Virginia Tech and NC State-Wake Forest are restored from the previous divisional format, while Cal, Stanford and SMU will all play each other.

The annual protected matchups are: Boston College-Syracuse, Boston College-Pitt, Syracuse-Pitt, North Carolina-Virginia, North Carolina-Duke, North Carolina-NC State, NC State-Wake Forest, NC State-Duke, Duke-Wake Forest, Virginia Tech-Virginia, Florida State-Clemson, Miami-Florida State, Miami-Virginia Tech, Stanford-Cal, Stanford-SMU, and Cal-SMU...."
10-30-2023 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: ACC schedule
They did close to a perfect job, only missing Clemson-GT. Those 2 are too close and have played for too long.
10-30-2023 08:45 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Summary of the schedule:

[Image: jLAuNPO.png]

I'm actually not surprised Clemson/GT wasn't preserved as annual, given how one-sided it's been recently. Both opponents have to agree, and I can guess which one didn't.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2023 09:05 PM by Nerdlinger.)
10-30-2023 08:58 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(10-30-2023 08:45 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  They did close to a perfect job, only missing Clemson-GT. Those 2 are too close and have played for too long.

I have the feeling Georgia Tech has been pushing for a more varied schedule. Duke is their most played ACC opponent and that game was dropped and not picked back up.

ESPN must have pushed for the rekindling of the VaTech-Miami "rivalry".

Wake gets NC State back, but loses VaTech. State loses Clemson.
10-30-2023 09:08 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
Something I didn’t notice on first pass but teams’ games against Miami and Clemson are also distributed at least 3 per year. No other team has fewer than 2 opponents (UVA, GT, FSU) they see only twice.
10-31-2023 04:27 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
I can picture Zach Galifinakis’s character from The Hangover creating that schedule grid.
10-31-2023 06:07 AM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-30-2023 09:08 PM)esayem Wrote:  
(10-30-2023 08:45 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  They did close to a perfect job, only missing Clemson-GT. Those 2 are too close and have played for too long.

I have the feeling Georgia Tech has been pushing for a more varied schedule. Duke is their most played ACC opponent and that game was dropped and not picked back up.

VaTech Miami is interesting... why not Miami UL like they pushed with the 3-3-5 model? I think this tells you who those 19-20th schools could end up being in the SEC, should the SEC miss out on one of UNC/FSU/Clemson.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2023 06:26 AM by RUScarlets.)
10-31-2023 06:25 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(10-31-2023 06:25 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

VaTech Miami is interesting... why not Miami UL like they pushed with the 3-3-5 model? I think this tells you who those 19-20th schools could end up being in the SEC, should the SEC miss out on one of UNC/FSU/Clemson.

I think you might be reading too much into it. They both voted for expansion without hesitation.

I think they needed another permanent game for the formula, and that one usually has decent ratings.
10-31-2023 06:53 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-31-2023 06:53 AM)esayem Wrote:  I think you might be reading too much into it. They both voted for expansion without hesitation.

I think they needed another permanent game for the formula, and that one usually has decent ratings.

It makes more sense than UL Miami, that's the point. The new scheduling is completely incongruent to the "parity" and recruiting access parameters that defined 3-5-5.

Also note that Miami is no longer getting the NE bias treatment. Looks like BC/Pitt/'Cuse only gets them 3x each. BC somehow gets FSU x4, whereas 'Cuse FSU was previously a permanent rival in 3-5-5. Also, UL is only getting a grand total of five matchups amongst FSU/Miami.

The Mag7 are sticking it to the former BE schools sans VaTech/Miami who are Mag7. The NE schools are destined for the BE and/or FBS Indy or lower (maybe Big 12 lifeline).
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2023 07:24 AM by RUScarlets.)
10-31-2023 07:24 AM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4

Admittedly, Louisville stated they have no rivalries, proving that the Big 12 would have been the better fit. Unfortunately, the ACC didn't go to the 9 game model (I know someone would need to play 8 but not a big deal).
10-31-2023 07:30 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(10-30-2023 08:58 PM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  Summary of the schedule:

[Image: jLAuNPO.png]

I'm actually not surprised Clemson/GT wasn't preserved as annual, given how one-sided it's been recently. Both opponents have to agree, and I can guess which one didn't.

Great Graphic. Thanks.
10-31-2023 07:31 AM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(10-31-2023 07:24 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  
(10-31-2023 06:53 AM)esayem Wrote:  I think you might be reading too much into it. They both voted for expansion without hesitation.

It makes more sense than UL Miami, that's the point. The new scheduling is completely incongruent to the "parity" and recruiting access parameters that defined 3-5-5.

Also note that Miami is no longer getting the NE bias treatment. Looks like BC/Pitt/'Cuse only gets them 3x each. BC somehow gets FSU x4, whereas 'Cuse FSU was previously a permanent rival in 3-5-5. Also, UL is only getting a grand total of five matchups amongst FSU/Miami.

The Mag7 are sticking it to the former BE schools sans VaTech/Miami who are Mag7. The NE schools are destined for the BE and/or FBS Indy or lower (maybe Big 12 lifeline).

"Mag 7" has been dead for like six months. I know you have a fetish for breaking up the ACC, but this is a built-from-scratch scheduling model constructed due to the new western front.

The 3-5-5 was to swap in new permanent games that hadn't been played consistently over the past 20 years. The new schedule is pretty competitively balanced and the priority was only playing Cali schools 3X.

Play Cali programs 3X - check

Maintain most important annual games (this goes both ways) - check

Competitively balanced - check
10-31-2023 07:33 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The ACC just doesn't have many totally in-house rivalries that are national in nature. I mean sure, NC vs NC State and NC vs Duke are rivalries, but they are of interest to people in North Carolina only, basically.

The only national ACC rivalry is FSU vs Miami, IMO.

As a polyglot conference, the ACC doesn't even have many regional rivalries worth protecting. Whereas say the SEC and B1G are filled with those.
(This post was last modified: 10-31-2023 07:36 AM by quo vadis.)
10-31-2023 07:34 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(10-31-2023 07:30 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

Admittedly, Louisville stated they have no rivalries, proving that the Big 12 would have been the better fit. Unfortunately, the ACC didn't go to the 9 game model (I know someone would need to play 8 but not a big deal).

Louisville would only have one natural rival in the B12, and only starting this season: Cincinnati
10-31-2023 07:34 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(10-31-2023 07:30 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Admittedly, Louisville stated they have no rivalries

U of L rivals?

1. UK
2. Cincinnati
3. Memphis
10-31-2023 07:43 AM
LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
It is a travesty that Georgia Tech was given no annual rivalries. There must have been some horse trading as Tech is the latest team to go to California and for the next three years they play VT and Duke Annually. Clemson, Duke and VT are played 4 times in 7 years while Lville and Wake are played 5. I can't believe Tech is so broke we literally traded away annual rivalries for less travel. Though trips to Syracuse, BC and Pitt aren't busy trips either...
10-31-2023 07:48 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(10-31-2023 07:48 AM)LeeNobody Wrote:  It is a travesty that Georgia Tech was given no annual rivalries. There must have been some horse trading as Tech is the latest team to go to California and for the next three years they play VT and Duke Annually. Clemson, Duke and VT are played 4 times in 7 years while Lville and Wake are played 5. I can't believe Tech is so broke we literally traded away annual rivalries for less travel. Though trips to Syracuse, BC and Pitt aren't busy trips either...

IIRC, Tech has one historical rival - Georgia. Is that incorrect?
10-31-2023 07:49 AM
LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(10-31-2023 07:49 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(10-31-2023 07:48 AM)LeeNobody Wrote:  It is a travesty that Georgia Tech was given no annual rivalries. There must have been some horse trading as Tech is the latest team to go to California and for the next three years they play VT and Duke Annually. Clemson, Duke and VT are played 4 times in 7 years while Lville and Wake are played 5. I can't believe Tech is so broke we literally traded away annual rivalries for less travel. Though trips to Syracuse, BC and Pitt aren't busy trips either...

IIRC, Tech has one historical rival - Georgia. Is that incorrect?
Half of Tech's true rivals are in the SEC. Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia and Vandy. Hell we are in Bama fight songs. These were maintained through Tech's independence years. Once the conference schedules expanded these games dropped.

I think most modern Tech fans consider VT, Clemson, and even FSU as rivalry worthy games.

The deepest hatred is of course Clean Old Fashioned Hate for uGA
10-31-2023 07:53 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(10-31-2023 07:34 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The ACC just doesn't have many totally in-house rivalries that are national in nature. I mean sure, NC vs NC State and NC vs Duke are rivalries, but they are of interest to people in North Carolina only, basically.

The only national ACC rivalry is FSU vs Miami, IMO.

As a polyglot conference, the ACC doesn't even have many regional rivalries worth protecting. Whereas say the SEC and B1G are filled with those.

I’d argue Clemson vs. FSU is of national interest. They’ve not only been the only national title candidates from the ACC going back to ~2010, they also have the two biggest stadiums and attendance. They even have the heritage of Bobby Bowden vs. son Tommy Bowden. The games gets on ABC prime time quite regularly.
10-31-2023 08:13 AM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(10-31-2023 07:34 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  As a polyglot conference, the ACC doesn't even have many regional rivalries worth protecting.

With alumni/fans like this, no wonder USF was invited to the AAU
10-31-2023 08:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.